Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zaanse Schans to Edam - Possible by bus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to connect Edam with Zaans Schans by bus, or do I have to return to Amsterdam first?

If so, is the bus station near the railway station at Koog Zaandijk?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Post the same question on Cruise Critic under the Europe heading. There is a lady named INE. who lives in the Netherlands and is a wealth of information.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:16 AM

There is a journey planner on www.9292ov.nl. Enter "treinstation" "Koog-Zaandijk" as departure point and "centraal punt" "Edam" as destination, and it gives connections via Amsterdam or Purmerend, with a journey time of around 1 hour 12 minutes. You could also try entering a specific address in Edam if you need to get somewhere specific. Services are frequent.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Geoff,

Ine from cruise critic answered my question and it sounds pretty complicated. I think we'll save time by just returning to Amsterdam, then taking the bus back north to Edam. To bad there's not a direct connection.

Any suggestions on how to enjoy Queen's Day if we don't want to get drunk and shuffle along with thousands We will be in Amsterdam that day.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Get out of town and spend the day at the Keukenhof. That could take up the whole day. Can either go by bus or get a private tour.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Stay in town and enjoy what to me was one of my most enjoyable days ever spent in 38 years of Euro travel - Queen's Day.

And though many younger folk are carrying cases of Heineken off the train when they arrive you need not drink a drop to enjoy this extravaganza - something for everybody.

Bands of all types everywhere - jazz bands on boats in canals, rock concerts at Museumplein and the world's largest flea market perhaps - anyone can block off space on sidewalks and sell anything they want. The night before you'll see folks getting dibs on prime locations.

Queen's Day for some is a rite of spring and full of booze and pot - many are smoking openly but for many others it's listening to jazz bands, perusing the flea market, etc.

IMO you're lucky to be in Amsterdamned on Queen's Day.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

We will have already visited the Keukenhof gardens earlier in the week, and will have turned in our car before we arrive in Amsterdam.

I'm trying to keep an open mind. The concerts sound wonderful, the flea market fun. It's just that some of the reports sound awful.

One tip we've received is to bring water, because it's going to be so hard to get through all the people, to even go into a shop for a drink. Also the have enough $ out of the ATM's ahead of time, because they all run out of money on that day.

I have found a few things open that day if we need to escape the crowds at some point.

Hopefully it'll be a day we'll long remember, for the good
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Amsterdam on Koninginnedag (Queens day)is crowded and can be a pain. Mostly it is good, but croded fun. The last few years they have tried to limit the numbers a bit as it just gets too full. They may close Centraal station if it gets too much, thereby cutting an escape route for you. Amstel station will be open. The Museumplein and Vondel park are good places for concerts, and a bit of breathing space.
All towns and villages have something on that day, always a flea market, in Utrecht it is the night before, and concerts, funfairs etc.
Don't forget to wear Orange!
If you really can't face it get a train out early and head for the countryside, or hire a car for the day.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM

If taking a train out be prepared for Centraal Station to be shut down later in the day if not earlier. A few years back i was there and they closed the station around noon due to congested trains - i watched mainly young folk clad in orange being ejaculated out of train after train and the platforms were so crowded - many were carrying cases of beer, adding to the crowding.

So if taking train out prepare like above poster said to return to Amstel station or Station-WTC-Zuid or RAI.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM

I think you can take a train from Koog Zaandijk station (short walk from Zaansche Schanse) back to Zaandam then take a train to Purmerend from which buses go the few miles to Edam.

I once went to Marken/Voldendam, walked along the coast to nearby Edam and then took bus to Purmerend to get train back to Amsterdam.

May sound cumbersome but not really - buses and trains run constantly. Could take an hour or two at most.

I think if you go back to amsterdam from Koog Zaandijk you'd have to come right back out thru Zaandam anyway.

Well that's what i think is possible.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch! I think we'll stay in town since I don't want to get stuck out of town. We have a flight to Prague the next morning and we can't risk missing that! It will be an experience!

Thanks for the bus/train help also.

Hope you get back to Amsterdam for Queens Day sometime PalenQ. We have bought our orange already!! Actually we're Cincinnati Bengal fans and our color for the team is orange, so it wasn't to hard to buy!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Images2, I will be in Amsterdam on Queens Day, too, and have some of your same concerns. I'm not into crowds, drinking, smoking, rock concerts, etc. Yet I don't want to miss a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Not sure what I'll do, but if it's a nice day I might head to Keukenhof early and hope I can get back to Amsterdam at some point.

Are there fewer crowds if it's rainy?

Does anyone know if Keukenhof will be less crowded that day because of the holiday? It appears the tulips are coming out early this year and I may miss them altogether. I hope not.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:19 AM

You may want to experience Q's Day in Amsterdam in the morning - when i was there it was fairly easy to walk around and the crowds seemed to thicken greatly from 11am on as people flocked into the city from towns around.

A few hours in the morning would salve any huge crowd problems - you won't encounter the rock concerts unless you seek them out. I enjoyed the jazz bands in boats very much - uniquely Amsterdam.

If going to Keukenhof after you may want to take a tram to Station-WTC-Zuid on the south side of town as Amsterdam Centraal could be shut down at anytime.

Indeed Thalys trains are not scheduled to serve Amsterdam C.S. on Queen's day but aborting at Schiphol's train station.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:56 PM

How will people get from the airport to town?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM

walk i guess as all transport inside the city centre is shut down i believe due to immense crowds mingling around everywhere.

Good question - not a good idea to arrive in Amsterdam on Queen's Day i guess.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM

Maybe the shuttle bus of Connexxion will ride, check it with them. Maybe however they cannot go to city-centre hotels.
http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM

Schiphol is a major international airport. I can't believe it would shut down on Queens Day. People must be arriving and departing and in need of transportation in both into and out of town. I sent an email to Connexxion. I'll report back if they respond.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:57 AM

The airport isnot shut down, only transportation into/from city center can be a problem...