Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your vote please! Granada: Hotel America or Hotel Alhambra Palace?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
leo

Hmmm. America is 100 euros, Alhambra Palace is 170. 2nights. If only all my decisions should be this tough, I've heard good things about both. I don't mind spending more the higher price, but would like some character. A small hotel is appealing, but the palace is supposed to be wonderful- not dated. Are there certain rooms which I should request? (terrace or view of city vs. view of gardens, etc.) Looking for some input please! Thanks!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:58 AM
Lanny

Let's see, 140 Euros in the difference for two nights is about $100 US. From my perspective, the Alhambra Palace has it all and is worth the difference. It screams location, location and if you are only likely going to go to Granada once in your life, why wouldn't you want to stay in the hotel that is the most memorable and beautiful one in the city? Ask for a city view. The front facing the Alhambra is too close to give you any decent vistas, but the back end facing out over the city gives you the sense of why the Alhambra was built in the first place.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Larry

Agree with first post, the Palace is a great place. The patio overlooking the city is a wonderful place to have a drink or simply look at the view. A room with a city view is by far the best. Looking toward the Alhambra is blocked by trees, not bad, but not as good as the other.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:26 PM
Jade

Hi - i stayed in the Alhambra Palace last year(can't say I know the Hotel America though) and it was beautiful. We had a room overlooking the city and we were very happy there. Perfect location! Eitherway - we stayed one night at a hotel there called the 'Washington Irving'. It was horrible - like something out of the adams family. Please do not go there!<BR>Jade

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Maribel

Hi Leo,<BR>I've stayed at both the small, simple, pottery and flower filled Hotel America (whose owner is a character himself), adjacent to the Parador, once at the Parador itself (always filled far, far in advance) and on my last trip, I stayed at the Alhambra Palace, which I really enjoyed-hadn't stayed there since the 70's. We arrived during high season without a reserv., fleeing from a highly recommended B&B in the Albaicin quarter that we'd personally found disappointing, so we were given the last (non renovated) room available for that night, a double in the "turret" facing the entrance, with no Alhambra views. And even though the furnishings were a bit old and the room dark, the large, sparkling bath had beautiful blue/green Moorish tiles, the desk staff was super efficient and welcoming, valet parking was a huge plus, the fixed price menu in the dining room was nice, (which we opted for simply being too tired to go out and having an early entrance ticket for the Alhambra the next morning), the meal was elegantly presented and a good value (we had a wonderful dinner the next night on the terrace of the Parador), the pseudo Moorish, extravagantly decorated parlor was a great place to relax, (and during the June music festival the hotel is a venue for chamber concerts), the terrace has beautiful sunset views of the city below, and the large buffet brk. we found another very good value. All in all, a winner. But as Lanny, Larry and Jade have said, the best rooms are those overlooking the city on the back side of the hotel. When on a tight budget, I've been very happy with the modest, sweet, homey, family style America (rooms are tiny though-the "comfort level" is higher at the A. Palace), and we stopped by the America on our last visit for a late lunch, between 2:30-3, on the patio-a nice, soothing respite from the crowds and perfect break from touring the Alhambra. I love spending the night on the romantic Alhambra hill whether it be at the America, Alhambra Palace or Parador, but I wouldn't opt for the fading, aging Washington Irving, as Jade says. <BR>Have a wonderful time!