Your Three Favourite Cities in Italy and Why

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Three Favourite Cities in Italy and Why

To the Italy Travellers here,
I've just read some wonderful trip reports, and want to hear which would be your favourite three cities you have been to in Italy and why?
Can't wait to hear......
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM

My favorite parts of Italy are not cities at all. They are:
1. The lakes--really 3 destinations
2. Tuscany hill towns
3. Amalfi Coast
Be sure to include all of these in your first 3 trips to Italy. We are going back for our 15th in Sep.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:46 AM

Venice, San Gimignano and Siena.

- Architecturally and historically "pure"
- Aesthetically very pleasing and diverse
- No vehicular traffic to disrupt the senses
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:49 AM

1. Venice
2. Venice
3. Venice
4. Rome
5. Florence

Otherwise, I agree with Bob about the regions.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:08 AM

Siena, Matera, Bergamo

Mostly because they aren't Florence or Venice.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:12 AM

Siena, Rome, and... Venice.
It's hard to pick just 3!

(Florence was my least favorite, I think - maybe because it was hottest and most crowded when I was there.)
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM

Florence - obvious for art, history, etc.

Verona - small and intimate, uncrowded, clean, relaxed, great food, in the middle of a great wine producing area

Rome - in spite of crowds, it is one of the greatest cities in the world
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Thank you bob,tuck,traveller1959 and immimi!
Thanks tuck for your 'whys'.
Travel can be an emotional experience, and I do enjoy reading about everyone's journeys.
Thanks again for sharing.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Thanks Chrissy and mnapoli!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:57 AM

Rome- for its great sites.
Venice for its uniqueness
Pienza- Because of its lovely setting, great food. Feel totally at home there.

Lucca would come in close behind.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM

1.Venice.. For me, It's magical and has me in a spell.
2.Cinque Terre..Stunning scenery and delicious food and drink
3.Rome..The history,art,& architecture cant be beat.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't been everywhere in Italy yet, so I'm sure I'll find cities/towns I like better on my next trip.

Rome - Busy like NYC, but 1500+ years older.
Pienza - Typical Tuscan town (great views), but flat.
Orvieto - Hilltown close to Rome. I was surprised to find mostly Italians when I stayed there in Sept.

Least favorites:
Venice - High-end shopping mall with overpriced, mediocre food.
Lucca - Deadly dull.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM

Venice
Venice
Venice
Venice
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Thanks grimmy, jetsetj,kybourbon, and anna !
Thanks for the descriptions, opinions, emotions....
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM

That is difficult to answer but I would say regarding cities Rome for all the obvious reasons, Bologna as I love the food, the atmosphere with all the university students and the covered walkways throughout the cental district and the fact there are less tourist. Love Venice but not sure if it would rate it in the top three. I love Milan, vibrant, the Galleria and Duomo etc. and the fun of window shopping. Milan is the financial and fashion center of Italy. I don't dislike Florence but it can get overwhelming in the historical center due to the crush of people. I enjoy Florence when in the residential areas where various friends live. I also love Genoa as there are less tourist, the people are lovely and the food is very good. Ravenna which is so peaceful and of course the beautiful mosaics.

Most first time visitors to Italy tend to visit Rome, Florence and Venice and that is not a bad idea in my opinion as long as one has enough time to do so.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Rome. It's the Eternal City! I love its history, its many artistic and architectural treasures, and the buzzy excitement. In Rome it's good to be a little tough.

2. Venice because of its faded beauty, its elegance. Also great churches and museums to see.

3. ? I like Florence and am a big Ren art person, but something about the city just doesn't grab me. I've only been to Milan once, in transit, so it made little impression. Is Siena a city? I do like Siena. Otherwise I enjoy most of the the pokey little towns full of art in Tuscany and Umbria but I'm open to more discovering more.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM

Sorry, I forgot the whys.

Venice is truly unique - when you board the ferry and approach the city - it is overwhelming. Venice is completely historic - not a hint of modern architecture, highrise or business. AND it is beautiful. AND full of art. Absolutely top.

I put Rome on the fourth place because of the Roman heritage. To be honest, there are some cities in Southern France (esp. Nimes) which have even better ruins than Rome, but Rome is made up of a mix of Roman, baroque and contemporary art.

Florence because it is the birthplace of modern society (and modern capitalism). It is full of history, architecture and art.

Ex negativo:

- Milano, Verona, Turino, Palermo are beautiful cities too, but do not have the amount of attractions as my selected cities. Pisa, Siena, Amalfi, San Gimignano are VERY picturesque but are just small towns.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM

Venice is my favourite, because I was able to feel more than just a tourist or a visitor. We found the people to be friendly, the food better than popular repute would have it, and the shopping fun (as long as you stay away from the main tourist routes from the Rialto to San Marco). I think it was the small details that engaged us, kids on scooters, uni students hanging around Campo Margerita, planning our days to avoid acqua alta, hidden courtyards, washing hanging over the streets, the canal running under the church of San Stefano.

We were lucky in that we had lots of time to go in search of the unusual – if we’d only had a handful of days we’d not have engaged with Venice so much. It was only after we had been in Venice few a few weeks that we started to check out the big sights – San Marco et al. It’s a bit the same when you move to a new town – you get to know your immediate neighbourhood first, and then go in search of the bigger sights.

We had time to do nothing, sit around, paint watercolours (my wife), write a trip report(me)rivalling War and Peace in length, complexity and, not to put too fine a point on it, being boring.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM

Siracusa, Roma, Urbino
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM

Venice! Yes, may be overcrowded, yes, may be overpriced, yes, may be a cliche - for some but not for me. I stay in inexpensive places, don't eat a lot, wander the back streets and out-of-way places, visit during the off-season. I'm a visual person, so my strongest impressions come to me through my eyes. For a peek at my vision, http://jmstudio.fotopic.net/c1636029.html

Procida! Yes, gritty, poor, not a lot to do. And that's exactly the point. Most people still make their livings from the sea, not from the tourists, of which there are very few. Small enough to criss-cross on foot in a morning. Owners of the place I stay make their own Limoncello from their own lemon trees, and bring me a small cup every evening as I sit on a bluff overlooking the Bay of Naples, with Vesuvius in the background and the lights of Naples twinkling in the darkness. Then I sleep like a baby. And it's gorgeous - see for yourself: http://www.gardentouring.fotopic.net/c1544804.html

Mantua! A small city, midway between Venice and Milan, surrounded on three sides by lagoons which are covered by flowering lotus in the summer, a funny sort of place where they eat donkey ragout and pumpkin ravioli and drink fizzy wine. Italians go there for the art and the lakes, but tourists from other countries haven't discovered it yet. Oh, and the art! Astonishing, amazing Renaissance art! I'm a great fan of erotic art, and this is some of the best in Europe. Whole rooms covered from floor to ceiling and across ceiling and down to floor again, with people doing all sorts of ... Here are some images, if you're interested: http://jmstudio.fotopic.net/c1670865.html Visit with a lover, and if you get bored, Mantua's a good base for visits to Verona, Vicenza, Sirmione on Lake Garda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -