How much should I bring?

Search

How much should I bring?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much should I bring?

I am going to Germany in the summer and will be making 3 weekend excursions to other places in Europe. How much should I pack? My professor says 14 outfits...I was kind of hoping to attempt to pack so I could carry on as I hate checking my bags. Plus for the whole trip we are responsible for our own luggage and I don't want to lug some monstrosity around!

Any help is appreciates along with clothing suggestion or even better comfortable but CUTE shoes....I have alot of problems finding good shoes....which isnt a big surprise I live in Baton Rouge LA.....
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - say you are trying for 14 outfits - that would be easy in the tiniest bag.

I normally take a 19 inch roll aboard - just got back from 9 days in Paris and used that bag an a medium sized handbag. I counted out and had nearly 30 outfits.

Don't think of 14 outfits as 14 distinct sets of slacks/jeans and 14 different tops. 2 or 3 pair of pants (one of which you'll be wearing on the train), 4 to 6 tops that coordinate w/ all of them and add'l jacket/sweater/accessories and you'll have well over 25 outfits.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:50 AM

14 outfits - I don't own 14 outfits yet I survive quite well.

Just do what you'd do at home - unless you are one of these people who insist on changing 3 or 4 times a day.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:53 AM
rex

Hi... and welcome to the Europe forum (a "place" that some of "us" treat like a second home)...

And you asked for advice... so this is offered, sincerely... in the spirit of helpfulness.

It's a common custom here... and courtesy... to include info about your destination(s) in your mesage header.

In reality, your message header is not so much a problem - - it's reasonably clear what you are asking - - and your question doesn't really change whether you're asking about Germany or a half dozen neighboring countries.

You don't clarify: what is the total length of the trip? will you be staying in dorms? hostels? homes? hotels? time and appropriateness to plan to do laundry? Where are these other destinations in Europe for the weekend getaways? by plane? or by ground/train?

14 "outfits" COULD be as little as 4-6 tops, two pants, two skirts and one dress (I am assuming your gender; guys don't usually make reference to "cute shoes", and they wouldn't think of Baton Rouge as a problem place to find shoes!)

Follow your inner voice that says to pack light. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34783082

If you can do six days in a carry-on, you can do six weeks.

And when you come back here with more specific questionsm DO remember to mention destination(s) in your message header.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Rex- Thanks, I have never posted here before so I apologize.... While in Germany we are styaing in nice hotels and complexes where business seminars are held- this is because we will be going to class each morning before venturing out on excursions. I have not planned my individual excursions yet, but most likely will be staying in hostels since I am a student.

We will be over in Europe for a month and a half total and we will have laundry facilities while in the school accomdadations. Once again anytime we venture out on our own we have to manage laundry too.

Right now I have a sea green skirt, a black halter dress that is a lil below my kness, a cream button down shirt and a black wrap sweater....I do plan on bringing at least one pair of jeans but do not have a suticase yet....so I'm hesitant to buy more.