The Coat Dilema

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Coat Dilema

NOTE: I post this in jest... I am not really paniced...

So, I leave in two weeks for a week in Paris. And thanks to a poster on here who is posting weekly photos it has occured to me that I may need a coat. It seems to be cool to cold and of course here in Hotlanta we are already in shorts which means it will "feel" even colder to me. (My blood thins quickly )

So last night I started the "coat" debate

1. Wool pea coat I love this coat, but hopefully it will be too warm for this one
2. Burnt Orange coat with button in liner. Beautiful coat, but ..... hopefully I don't need the liner and the color is just so "fall"
3. Burberry Raincoat (this was a gift) Love this coat, but it's hard to pretend I am Parisian and attempt to look cute with scarfs with it due to the plaid!
4. Cute leather jacket. Really not a good option. Too tight tor a decent sweater if it gets COLD at night.

So today I went to TJMaxx. Found a coat for $29. Has a hood. Does not have a liner, but I can get a decent sweater on under it. And it appears to pack down to very little so I might be able to STUFF it in my bigger purse (yes I am taking two bags... One Longchamp Pilage which also functions as the "personal item" and into which I can get more they you would believe and a small leather backpack for most day use)

I doubt the debate is done, so this will give me something to worry about for 2 weeks.
(Of course I haven't even started thinking about what to pack. Depending on the weather forcast the weekend before I leave I may be breaking into the winter storage for some sweaters But I tend to go with the "black and black" combos that makes it easier to pack)

But... it gives me something to do while time moves SLOWLY towards my flight. (And I will probably keep shopping. I really want a black with a zip in liner, but I may have waited too late to find one I like )
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:55 AM

If you decide that you do need a coat, orange is in this year.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM

The liners add bulk and if you're already considering bringing sweaters you'll probably be fine (especially with the aforementioned scarf). I try to remember that with all the walking I'll be doing I warm up more quickly than if I were just sitting around. And when I'm sitting around there's always cafe or vino to help keep the chill off!
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:07 AM

By the time you leave it will be late in May and the weather will have warmed up. I looked at today's temperature in Paris and it is 64 degrees, cooler than Atlanta but not super cold.

I would take a small folding umbrella in case of a shower and either the leather jacket or the Burberry raincoat. You can wear scarves with it, just maybe solid coloured ones.
Maybe pack a light sweater that you can throw on during the day if you are chilly. And you could layer a camisole under your top to give some extra warmth if it is chilly, that is what I do if my outer layer is tight.
And hey, if you really don't bring the right things....you are in Paris....you can go shopping!!

I "feel your pain" though, it is fun to obsess over the packing when going on a fabulous trip.

I hope you have a great trip, Paris is one of my favourites, never get tired of it.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Check the weather just before you leave. Not sure about the usual weather in May, but here is our recent Sept. experience.

Last Sept. I had my usual black jacket (it goes on all trips with me)packed along with several sweaters. This was to be our 8th trip to Paris in Sept. and every year I wore these at some point.

Checked the weather the day before we left and started tearing my closet apart and repacking. All the sweaters, coats, and most of the long sleeve stuff came out. It was in the 80's every day and 70's at night. It was by far the best weather we ever had in Europe in Sept. in any year.

This Sept. I'm going to have mixed weather clothes ready and choose the night before we leave.

I'd pack a small umbrella and that TJMaxx jacket sounds like the perfect thing. Also, for $29, if it's really warm, you can leave it and make room for some of your purchases.

It sounds like you are only taking carry on luggage as we do.

Here's another thing we do---take a travel envelope (about 5x7 zipped up.) It opens up into a thin, large duffle bag. When we come home, we put all of our dirty laundry into it and check it---you do get a free checked bag on international flights. That way we have room in our carry-ons for our purchases. This has worked for us for many years.

Have a wonderful time in our favorite city.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:36 AM

I think the absolute most you would need is a raincoat - and I wouldn't bother to haul it around with you. A wool or leather coat would be laughably overkill. Just bring LAYERS (short tees, long sleeve shirts and a cotton sweater or two and a very thin rain jacket). That should cover all eventualities.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Paris weather is about like NYC or Washington DC, we are not wearing wool pea coats at this time of year!!!

Are you serious, you would ruin a leather jacket in the rain?

Your TJMaxx raincoat sounds fine. I would take a raincoat that is hip-length myself, without a heavy lining.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM

I'm currently dithering about cardigans for the same reason - we're leaving on the 17th, so will be there about the same time as you! Happily though, we're from Minnesota, rather than Hot-lanta, so I'm sure it will seem warm enough regardless. I do always take a couple light scarves - even if I don't need a coat, they can provide a little extra warmth. Have a good trip!
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

A good leather jacket that's properly treated is NOT ruined by the rain. Sorry, but mine has been wet several times and if you take care if it and don't dry it over heat it's done just fine.
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Today, I was ok with a warm cashmire blazer and a waterproof shell. Earlier this week, same shell with a leather coat was ok, too. It has been too cold for a Burberry trench. So, from my experience, a shell seems to be really helpful with thr current weather.
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM

CarolA the Coat Question is always a pain in the rear for me. We usually travel mid-Sept to mid-Oct, and from north to south. You could call that the 'month of change' because it's usually really hot when we get to Paris, Madrid, or wherever we are starting, and by the middle of October, we are hitting some very chilly evenings.
Does anyone know of a perfect lightweight, warm, easily packable, casual, but can be dressed-up, jacket that coordinates with everything?
Yes, layering works, but I always end up freezing that last week or so....
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Oh yes, then there's the Shoe Debate. Haven't figured out the perfect answer to that one either.
I think that could start a whole new thread...
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

The shoe debate is easier for me. I have a couple of options and will probalby go with my normal choice. (Merrill Slip ons, not beautiful but INCREDIBLY comfortable.)

I am probably going with the $29.99 coat. If the weather looks bad I do have "silk underwear" which makes a huge difference

(And has been pointed out if I lose the cheap coat it's not the end of the world)

I am not worrying about the rest of the "packing" until the weekend of May 19th. I leave May 22nd so...
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the Merrell hint. Have a great, great time, and I hope for nice weather for you.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM

I am going through the shoe dilemma now myself.....bought a pair of Ecco black sandals and now don't know if I will pack them next week. Probably end up bringing Merrell slides too.