Your most memorable experience in France

Oct 10th, 1997, 08:48 AM
Kathy O'Brien

Your most memorable experience in France

I am going to France in November for 4 full days, not including travel. Want to use my time wisely. This is a 10th annivarsary. Any suggestions?

Oct 10th, 1997, 05:15 PM
julie

I was in France last spring. We took the night train from Paris to Chamonix, in the Alps near Switzerland. It was superb. We stayed in a B&B called Hotel Savoyarde. Stay in room 5 which looks out over Mount Blanc. Take the telepherique (tram) up the mountain Aquille di Midi. This is the most spectacular view I've ever seen. The town of Chamonix is charming and easy to see on foot. Enjoy your trip.

Oct 13th, 1997, 04:12 AM
Lisa

I agree with Julie completely. We stayed at the same hotel and loved it. Our favorite restaurant in Chamonix was Atmosphere. It was great.
To answer the question about our most memorable experience in France, it was the wine market in Beaune. You taste 40 great wines in a candlelit wine cellar. While there, we met a group of young men from Chamonix, who were on a bachelor party to celebrate an upcoming wedding. They were singing songs which celebrated their home region. When we told them how we had loved Chamonix, we became part of their party. They filled my glass much too often, but it was great!

Oct 14th, 1997, 05:39 PM
Wayne

Beaune, Beaune, Beaune, but only if you love wine.
Don't miss the Patriarche cellars. Take the early TGV from Paris, stay over one day, then on to Chaminoix.

Oct 15th, 1997, 10:46 AM
karen

Agree with the above! If you take the teleferique up the Aiguille du Midi, bundle up - it will be wintry! Start EARLY AM, as clear skies are a MUST! We stayed at a wonderful B&B called "La Girandole" on a hillside looking down at Chamonix and across at Mt. Blanc and the Aiguille. (It's listed in Fodor's Best B&Bs in France). Also had dinner at l'Atmosphere - try the RACLETTE! Beaune is lovely and when you do the Marche aux Vins (Wine Market) save your palette for the wines nearer the end - the better stuff is upstairs in the chapels - and you can purchase some to be shipped home. Beaune is a busy place in November - it's the time of the celebrated, annual wine auction.