Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your most delicious dinner in Dingle? Shadow is heading off again soon...

Aug 30th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Really looking forward to our Ireland trip..leaving in 2 weeks. This time we are heading up a custom tour using CIE tours.
Anyone can do a custom tour with CIE...its best to have at least 25 people. We have 28 and with that we are getting one free tour. We are not doing it for that though (but does not hurt!! with 31 we would have had 2 free tours)...we just thought it would be fun to bring friends and family to Ireland and the only way to get that many together is to do this by tour. We are not normally tour people...I started going to Ireland in 1970 and just get there, get a car and go...even when I have gone by myself. But, this is going to fun, a different experience and educational as well. I designed the tour the way I wanted it so that is nice too.

I would love to hear about your favorite places to eat in Dingle. I have loved the Half Door and the Mystic Celt....I have not seen anything about the Mystic Celt lately so I am thinking its not longer in business?? Years ago we would eat at The Armada Restaurant.

My husband loves seafood and there are so many choices. I would be very happy with the Half Door again but would also like to try somewhere different. Also, Out of the Blue sounds great for seafood. Fentons of Dingle sounds good with banoffee pie for dessert on the menu!!!

I designed the tour that we would only have 3 group dinners...first nightunratty Castle (love it the first night with friends), Ashford Castle (can't wait for that!!) and the last night at the Dunboyne Castle Hotel near Dublin (with entertainment). So, we'll have 5 other nights to go out on our own and have whatever we want!!

We'll be staying at the Dingle Skellig and the food there might be good too...anybody know? We are arriving into Dingle the night of the All-Ireland Football final with Kerry playing Cork!! So, we need to get reservations soon I think!!

I am a "foodie" and my dining experiences are a big deal to me so that is why I am really wanting to ask for others experiences!!

Thanks for any ideas!!
Shadow

Aug 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Shadow,

I've been following your posts here and other sites. I hope you have a wonderful trip and give us a long trip report.

My favorite place to eat in Dingle town was I think it is called The Old SmokeHouse? It's down the hill from Greenmount House right on the corner. I liked it because the food was good, filling and one of the least expensive. I'd say it was about 20E each without drinks.

Have a great trip, Joan
Aug 31st, 2007, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Joan,
Thanks!! I promise to do a trip report!! We went to Ireland in April and got bogged down when we got home so I did not do one...but, since we are doing this tour I will make a point to do a trip report!!

You know, as soon as I read your post I realized that we had eaten at the Old Smokehouse as well...not the Half Door!! It was on the corner, a small place but had wonderful food..it was the first place I have ever had baked brie and now I am addicted!! Now I remember that we tried to eat at a place called the Half Door but it was closed...I have not seen it listed this time either....like the Mystic Celt.
Thanks for reminding me!!
Shadow
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:48 AM

While in Dingle we really liked the Goat Street Cafe. However, it would be really hard to fit your whole group in there because the place is tiny. But maybe you could consider it for just you while you're htere.
Aug 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM

Hubby and I had a great meal at Out of the Blue when we visited in 2005. It was a tiny space, though, not sure it could accommodate your entire group.

Let us know what you end up doing and how the group thing goes!
Sep 1st, 2007, 06:30 AM

Mystic Celt has been closed for quite some time.

Out of the Blue is wonderful, but quite small.
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

MaryZ..
Thanks! That figures!! Its been since 2001 that I've been to Dingle...the last 5 trips have mainly been about visiting my mother in Roscommon so I have not gotten to go to Dingle since then...that is why I made sure it was on my custom tour!!
Shadow
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM

Hi Shadow,
My family spent a week in Dingle last June and we really enjoyed it.

Our best meal in Dingle was at the Smokehouse and it was about 20 Euros each.

We also enjoyed the food and the music at Murphy's Pub.

We took the walk that is described in the Rick Steves book and had a great time. On our walk at about 10:00am, Fungie the dolphin was out and was really performing with great jumps and splashes.

Our best meal of the entire trip was in a pub in the nearby town of Ballyferriter. I don't remember the name of the place but you drive right past it as you go through the town.

The gas station at the edge of town has very good deli food.

Have fun in Dingle!
Sep 1st, 2007, 01:05 PM

Hi I just returned today from a 2 week trip to Ireland and spent 2 nights in Dingle. We loved the Half Door and Out of the Blue! The Half Door is not cheap but it was worth the money. Out of the Blue was very good but we had 8:30 reservation and they had begun to run out of a lot of stuff--so go early if you go. I think it seats about 24?
Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

daydreamer19,
Thanks!! Good to hear that the Half Door is still in business...I know we want to try Out of the Blue the first night (not everyone on the tour) and I can't decide for the second night!!
Thanks again!!
Shadow
Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM

Shadow,

It's been a while for us, too, but our last good meal in Dingle was also at the Half Door.

But, if you get a chance to eat in Killorglin, do try either Dev's On The Square,or the unpretentious, Benz Cafe. We tried both, in June of 2005 and they were two of the best meals we have EVER had, in Ireland!

I hope you have a GREAT adventure. I can't think of a better guide (particularly for Roscommon). Not that I would expect them to be particularly impressed by MY say-so, but you can tell your tour group that I saud that they are EXTREMELY fortunate, in having you as their guide!

Bob
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Bob,

Thanks so much both for the restaurant tips and the complements!!!
You know there are so many places I have yet to see and Killorglin is one! So, not this trip but hopefully another! While my mother is still alive I have to reserve any extra time for her and that does prevent me for doing much exploring. But, I do try to see at least one new place each trip.
Since this is a custom tour that I designed here is our outline:
Arrive Sept. 15: Bunratty Folk Park, and dinner a Bunratty Caslte (yes, I've been and love it)
Sept. 16: Clare Jam Factory (love there jams), Cliffs of Moher, then ferry at Killimer and down to Dingle (where we will be for the All-Ireland final Kerry vs. Cork!!!). Interesting night!!
Sept. 17: Blasket Center and free time in Dingle
Sept. 18: On to Kinsale and Charles Fort via Blarney Castle
Sept. 19: On to the Rock of Cashel and then on to Galway.
Sept. 20 Ferry ride to Inis Mor
Sept. 21 Drive to Ashford Castle and stay with dinner at the castle
Sept. 22 On to Dublin with a tour of Dublin Castle and staying at Dunboyne Castle Hotel with trad. music being brought in for our group!
Sept. 23 tour ends
My husband, mil and sil head to London for 3 days then on to Roscommon for 3 days then back to Dublin and head home.
REally, though, the CIE driver/guide will handle most things and they are so great...and we are not usually tour people but this is a special thing. I will say that you do learn alot on the tours though and for a bit of a change we are looking forward to it.
Thanks again Bob and I will do a trip report on our return!!!
Shadow
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM

We had great Chinese food at Tir na Ri (land of the kings) which is just up the street from the grocery store near the docks (best I could describe, sorry). The owner's name means King in Chinese, so he translated into Irish for the restaurant name

Sep 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody!! I knew I had to make a reservation (for our little group of 5-not the whole tour group) because that is the day of the All-Ireland Football final and got the last seats at Out of the Blue for 6:30...my husband could eat fish every day of his life!! So, maybe the Half Door for the next night...or one of my previous favorites, the Old Smokehouse or the Chineese sounds intriguing....
Thanks for the ideas!!
Leaving Friday-can't wait..I think we'll be greeted by rain..
Shadow
Sep 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM

The Chinese restaurant has a lovely little back room that looks like a conservatory - big glass walls looking out into a small garden. And the food is delicious
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Shadow, have a wonderful time! And please try to post a trip report. Your trip sounds like lots of fun.
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Shadow,

Have a wonderful trip and we'll await your return.

Joan
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Gosh, thanks..I'm humbled by your good wishes!! I will do a report!! This is my first (maybe only) tour (that we are in charge of, well, the driver is really in charge, but we set this all up and I designed the tour!) and, there are some folks on the tour I have never met...some folks have already been gone and will have been gone (to Scotland) for 2 weeks before our tour...hope they are not "burn out" before the Ireland part begins!!! Of course, I would not be burnt out..I could live out of a suitcase!! So, thanks again and I will report back in early October!!
Shadow
Sep 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Sounds like the makings of a very interesting trip report . . . ;-)
Sep 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Shadow,

May you have a most excellent adventure!

I too could live out of a suitcase. Now if those six numbers would cooperate and come up correctly, I could do just that!

Bright Blessings and Safe travels. I look forward to your report upon your return.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit