Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your last night in Paris...what did you do?

Aug 15th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Hello Everyone,

The end of April 2011 we are going to Paris for 7 days followed by 4 days in Provence based in the Luberon region. Our time in Provence is from Thursday through Sunday and we fly home from CDG on Monday at 11:20AM.

We have booked a room at the CDG Sheraton for that last night since we wanted to be close to the airport. On another thread someone’s flight was leaving at 11:00AM and kerouac said they shouldn’t spend their last night at the airport because they would have plenty of time the next morning to get there.

After a little research I think he is right (I shouldn’t have doubted) so now we are probably going to stay somewhere in the center of Paris and take Shuttle Inter to CDG on Monday.

Here is my question….do you have any great memories of your last night in Paris? What have you done to make it special? Okay that was two questions. ;-)

Thanks.

DaveMM
Aug 15th, 2010, 06:46 AM
RJD

If you want to spend your final night in Paris you should book a room downtown and save the trips to and from CDG.
We sometimes try some touristy activity like dinner on the Eiffel Tower or a boat ride on the Seine.
See the Woody Allen movie "Everyone Says I Love You"
Aug 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
mms

I would absolutely stay in the center of Paris that last night. However, I would have backup plans for the shuttle. On our last trip there, which was last summer, we tried to use Shuttle Inter. Upon arrival, they were not there and it took 3 phone calls and quite some time til they got there. Once at the apartment, we verbally confirmed our return trip. I also reconfirmed via email during the week. I am sure you know where I am going with this, lol, but they did not show up at all the morning we were to leave for CDG. Thank goodness we were only a few blocks from a taxi stand, and thank goodness there was actually one there when we needed it. The kicker was the email I got from them when I got home that said they were there and I was not. I sent a reply with the facts and never heard back. So needless to say, I do not find them reliable. Especially after reading other similar stories about this same company.
Aug 15th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Another way to look at way is the itinerary itself.

You are doing at least 3 check-in, out cycles:

1. Paris check-in, out
2. Luberon check-in, out
3. Paris check-in, out

If your schedule permit, if you change to

1. Luberon check-in, out
2. Paris check-in, out

you would probably recoup a half day, and you would not even think about the last night stay question. The perennial question for the alternate itinerary is how to sync the TGV trip from CDG to Provence. Renting a car at CDG and drive to Luberon (a long drive), if jet lag is not an issue, and returning the car at Avignon TGV and take a train back to Paris is one alternative. Another is to do an open-jaw into Nice, rent car to Luberon (much shorter drive), fly home from CDG.
Aug 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
ira

>Your last night in Paris...what did you do? <

IIRC, we went to Florimond
http://www.leflorimond.com/
Aug 15th, 2010, 01:53 PM

agree with mms - arrange for a taxi to the airport.
Aug 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM

I am fortunate enough to have had 108 last nights in Paris, so I've done all kinds of things. My latest favorite, though, is to go up the Tour Montparnasse to have a drink and look out over the city, then walk to Florimond for dinner, then stroll over to the Seine, walk along it, sometimes as far as Notre Dame, then walk back along it, have a nightcap on the Place de l'Ecole Militaire, then back to my hotel.
Aug 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM

I can think of a couple of trips to Paris when I was too pooped to do much on my last night.

On our very last trip, we ate in a crap cafe because I was utterly exhausted and could not make it to our dinner reservation.

On two other trips, we gathered picnics to eat in our room or apartment while we packed.

Maybe you are younger or don't go as hard as we do. But sometimes we are really tired on our last nights in Paris.
Aug 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM

We end every night in Paris with a glass of champagne (we promise ourselves that we will not just be dull and go back to our room after dinner at night)! Splurge at a big time hotel bar take in the scene & savor it. A stroll anywhere in Paris would be great, so go somewhere away from your hotel and enjoy the walk....try not to just pack it in in your room! It's Paris!!!
Aug 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM

There are quite a few women's groups that help you to find other like-minded women to travel with. Do a Google search for "women's travel groups" and you'll find some to check out.
Aug 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Well, that post was aimed at a different thread. I can't imagine how it ended up here.
Aug 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM

January, 2005...

Coq a vin and chocolate souffle at a cosy restaurant full of French people, then a walk to near the base of the Eiffel Tower in time to see it twinkle...while sharing a kiss with the best husband ever.

~Liz
Aug 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM

We have been to Paris perhaps a dozen or more times and we always spend the last night sipping a glass of French wine and looking at the Eiffel tower. Twice we snagged hotel rooms with "the view" and could enjoy it from our room. Other times we've sat at outdoor tables at bistros, enjoying "the view." Touristy? Yes. We're tourists.
Aug 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM

p.s. One great room we had was at the Concord Lafayette where, along with "the view", there is easy transport to CDG via Air France bus.
Aug 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM

@ Underhill -- lol!

@ OP -- uh, my original thought regarding memorable last nights was -- what a cheeky question to ask!!

Seriously, though, I am a firm believer of never leaving anything to the last night that may involve the weather or a strike mucking up Plan A -- which would include an evening on the Seine or up the Eiffel Tower.

Instead, we go out for dinner some place special (unusual, because we're not foodies) and finding a club or venue at which some band we love might be playing. Nothing better than that, to us, and leaves us with some rather great memories. If not that, we like going to a special cafe or bar that hasn't gone techno and pretending we're characters in "The Sun Also Rises."
Aug 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

Underhill: I am laughing so hard. At first I thought your suggestion was very interesting. Although…since we are celebrating 30 years I am not so sure I would be celebrating number 31 if I took your advice.

StCirq…nice to see you posting again.

The leisurely stroll, nice dinner and a kiss ;-) are in the works.

DaveMM
Aug 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM

I love Paris, I spend my last night walking on Champs Elysee Blvd taking in all the sights. I made arrangement with an airport shuttle for the ride to CDG.
Aug 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Hey, we front loaded the first few days of our trip with so much sightseeing - we made sure every thing "to do" was "done" with room to spare, so the last night, tired, we crashed and slept like babies!! I know, BORING!! But the nights before the last night were pretty cool.
Aug 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Steak frites and house red, profiteroles.

Pack.
Aug 15th, 2010, 08:28 PM

108 last days in Paris!!! It makes me weak at the knees just thinking about it! My most recent last night in Paris was spent at a photography exhibit on L'Ile S-L, having dinner at Florimond, shopping at the olive oil shop (name escapes me)on Ile Saint-Louis (our hotel was nearby), stopping off at the Notre-Dame Rose Garden, and then bursting into tears on the Pont Saint-Louis at the thought of having to leave in the morning!

Trip # 6 to Paris coming up in two years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO