Scala Reale vs. Scavi Tours in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Rome in the Middle of May and have read so many great things about both of these tours. So many good things that I'm considering breaking down and doing both. The Scala Reale Tour I'm interested in is the Arte Vaticana and wanted to know if that would be a good compliment to a Scavi Tour the same day. Any suggestions or guidence? Does anyone know how much these tours cost and how long they are? Thanks so much for any tips!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM

John Boyden's St. Peter's tour is a better compliment to the Scavi tour but I wouldn't miss the Arte Vaticana tour either. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:23 PM

TravelBug -- have you already requested and received a reservation for the Scavi Tour?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Hi,
I tried to email [email protected] for reservations in June and the email was returned. How do I get in touch with John Boyden?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:04 PM

charleston -- the email for reservations is [email protected]
For more info, you can also go to www.vatican.va, click on site map, then click on Vatican Necropolis. good luck!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:08 PM

John Boyden works for Scala Reale.org. His St. Peter's tour is about 90 minutes. I've been through St Peter's with numerous Roman priests, including a Jesuit or two, and nobody does St. Peter's like John Boyden. His tour can be scheduled directly after the Scavi tour and Scala Reale will be happy to secure your Scavi tickets if you book a Scala tour.

The Scavi tour is about an hour, sometimes less. It depends on whether you get an enthusiastic guide. Some of the Scavi guides are less exciting than others. Unfortunately, you can't pick and choose. I've done the Scavi tour six times so I've seen the differences.

I don't remember Boyden's fee other than it seemed incredibly reasonable. I remember thinking he deserved more and I tipped him accordingly. He was delightfully modest, grateful and gracious.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

NYCFoodSnob- Thank you for the John Boyden's tip. So your tip requires more questions on my part

Do I book the John Boyden Tour at www.scalareale.org? Or somewhere else?

How does the JB Tour differ from the Arte Vaticana I was initially thinking of taking from Scala Reale?

Do I need to take both tours, if not, which one is better?

I love your tip that Scala Reale will book my Scavi tickets for me. When do I make mention that I would like them to book them?

How much do all these tours cost?

A game of 20 Questions anyone? Geesh.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Thanks NYCSnob for taking the time to answer my question. Hopefully I can get JBoyden to hold a tour for us.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:21 PM

You can also see via Scala Reale's website if John Boyden has space available in one of his Arte Vaticana tours during your visit (museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's.) I wasn't able to get into one led by him, but the other docent who led mine was absolutely excellent. At the time I paid 50 Euro, but I see that the price is now 60 Euro, not including the admission ticket. www.scalareale.org
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:18 PM

All ScalaReale tours are booked through their website and prices are listed. Their booking procedure is different since they've merged with Context Rome but it seems very easy. If they don't offer an additional comment box on their reservation form, write an e-mail and request a specific tour guide. They won't be able to guarantee the guide you want but I highly recommend asking anyway. They will do their best to assist. Also, ask if they can help you secure Scavi tickets in the same e-mail.

St. Peter's Cathedral is John Boyden's specialty. He is a scholar in Canon Law. For the Vatican Museums (Arte Vaticana) I would recommend trying to secure one of Rome's leading art historians, Elizabeth Lev. I've mentioned her on other threads which you can easily research. Ms. Lev is supremely capable of explaining Vatican Museum art in its religious context.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 04:41 AM

What's the advantage of booking the Scavi tour through Scale Reale? Can't you just book directly with the excavations office? I sent an email last Friday and got the automated reply. I would suspect they're a bit busy over there this week!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Once you've booked a Scala tour, the advantage of booking the Scavi tour through Scala is freedom. Scala can co-ordinate a tour schedule based on your availability and desires and they will secure your tickets. Scala's docents are well-known at the Vatican and they have access where you don't. If ever there's a problem or concern about getting in or how the system works, you have someone that can intervene on your behalf.

I have always found it much easier to write ScalaReale, give them the dates and hours of my availability, and have them coordinate a tour package that makes sense. This way I get the most bang for my buck and an remarkable history experience.

Securing John Boyden's St. Peter's Tour before visiting the Scavi is a wonderful way of connecting the historical dots. Visiting the Vatican Museums with Elizabeth Lev and then visiting the Borghese Museum with her the following day is also a riveting combination tour, especially if you love art or reading a great book on art history.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Thank you, Snob!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Okay, one more question for you NY Snob just so I'm clear:

Does John Boyden's Tour include all the stops on the Arte Vaticana Tour? Including the Sistine Chapel and other musuems? I'm leaning towards taking one or the other, then adding the Scavi tour for the same day.

When I went to the Scala Reale website to check on Vatican Tours, there are two available the week I'm there. One Tour leader is TBA and the other is Sarah Yeomans. Has any had her before?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Another question for NYCFoodSnob:
When you asked Scala Reale to book the Scavi Tour for you, was there an additional charge on top of the regular tour fee? i.e. like a processing fee charged by SR?
Thanks!!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM

<b>Look folks</b>, I'm a New York City <b>FoodSnob</b>. Basically, that means; I live in NYC (over 20 years) and I eat artisan made bread with farm-fresh butter, I take real fresh cream in my very special cup of Bialetti-made coffee, I cook with fresh herbs year round, I make my own stock for soups or sauces, and this list goes on and on and on.

When I'm not entertaining, I dine out often (sometimes five days a week). I'm very opinionated and truthful about the taste sensations my palate encounters no matter where I go to eat or how much I spend on the meal, and I take fastidious notes on each and every experience. Sometimes I photograph each course.

The considerate thing to do is get my &quot;name&quot; right and never refer to me as simply &quot;snob.&quot; Otherwise, people who don't know any better (and there are plenty here), will assume I actually believe I'm better than someone else, which couldn't be further from the truth. Even though I'm <i>stingy</i> with restaurant recs here on fodors, doesn't mean you should ever miss the point of my moniker.

To my knowledge, John Boyden is not an art historian although I'm sure he knows much on the subject. The Arte Vaticana Tour is mostly a guided, well-focused &quot;art&quot; tour through the enormous, often confusing rooms and collections in the Vatican Museum. This tour lasts four hours and does offer some religious history, especially in the Sistine Chapel, but mostly it's about the artists and the significance of their works. Theology serves as an informative backdrop and a great guide directs and sustains your focus. Nobody does the Vatican Museum quite like Elizabeth Lev. She is the preferred guide to the Who's Who of clergy everywhere and a great <i>femme fatale</i>.

John Boyden's St. Peter's Tour begins in the Bernini Promenade of St. Peter's and takes you inside the Church where it ends. It's quite simple in scope (your feet) but very substantial in historical context (as well as religious, if the client wishes to venture further with Mr. Boyden). The historical details and gossip surrounding the creation of this Church are fascinating and nobody tells the story quite like Mr. Boyden, although I'll bet Sarah Yeomans is quite good.

Whenever you try to book a &quot;star&quot; guide, the best you can do is make a request. These are people who have their own lives and aren't available 24/7 year round. At least with ScalaReale/Context Rome, you can always count on an excellent experience.

For first time visitors (at least those who are smart and intellectually curious), I always recommend the following itinerary and order:

1 - St. Peter's Tour with John Boyden
2 - Scavi Tour (this is a Vatican Tour not associated with ScalaReale but highly recommended by them)
3 - The Vatican Museums with Elizabeth Lev

I've done this sequence in every imaginable combination and this is the one that makes most sense to me.

ScalaReale/Context Rome is very up front about fees for service. Don't ever hesitate to ask. I've never been charged by Scala for securing Scavi tickets but policy and procedure is always subject to change. Never rely on third-party financial information. Go straight to the horse's mouth.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Okay NYCFoodSnob, point taken regarding the abbrevation of your name. I do apologize. It's just so much easier to cut it short
Anyway, thank you for the perfect response to my tour questions. I can finally book this sucker and be done.
I will let you know how it goes when I get back. If I ever come back Yeh right!
Thanks again.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 04:18 PM

&quot;It's just so much easier to cut it short&quot;

Nothing great in life comes easy. But, FS, NYC, NYCFS, or BlondeLeggyBombshell works just fine. Safe travels.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:07 PM

I was lucky enough to have John as our guide for the Arte Vaticana but I do distinctly remember that he was an art historian.

I also booked the Scavi tour on my own (although at the time I did not know Scala Reale could do that for me). I did both tours on the same day and it was wonderful.

You will love both!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:05 AM

NYCFoodSnob: I was just being &quot;funny&quot; abbreviating your name! It's a nickname for goodness sake, can't we be playful about those? I'm a nyc food snob myself -- used to live there and now visit often. What's your favorite restaurant these days?

And I do appreciate all the information you provide.
I think scala reale charges 10 euros for a scavi reservation. Tried to double-check yesterday, but for some reason the web site was not cooperating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -