>>> YOUR FAVORITE VENICE HOTEL <<<

Jun 5th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Debbie

>>> YOUR FAVORITE VENICE HOTEL <<<

All the questions here; here they go:

What was your favorite and why? Any your suggest under $125? Best to stay in Venice or outside where maybe a farmhouse or pensioni could be had? Any busloads of tourists coming in early morning for reason to stay RIGHT in Venice? (One fodorite informed to sleep ON Le Mont St. Michel in France and that was a blessing as we left before busloads came in!) Any website for Venice hotel selection? Seems like the only type accommodations are hotels in Venice.

Jun 5th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Jeff

You go to Venice -- you stay in Venice --- maybe if you're seeking a more quiet accommadation then consider staying on the Lido. However I think the full experience of the place is best had by staying on the island. Venice is divided into 6 districts (somewhat comprable to Paris' arrondissements). HOWEVER, Venice is much smaller. I think the size of the entire island is approx 1 mile by 1 1/2 miles. If you want to avoid the throng of tourist that crowd the San Marco district, then I'd suggest you consider staying in Dorsoduro.

Jun 6th, 2001, 04:46 AM
elaine

Debbie
Busloads and cruise ships full of tourists are a pretty common event in Venice, particularly in high season.
Only in late fall or winter before Carnevale is Venice uncrowded.
www.venere.it is a popular website for choosing hotels
There are many recommndations for Venice hotels on this forum--you can search for <Venice hotels>. Several popular places are more pensiones than hotels.
Just yesterday or the day before frequent Fodor's poster
Beth recommended one called the Albergo Corona ---look for her recent posting called something like
"Venice trip report". Other budget places from this forum and other sources are the Hotel Astoria, Albergo Casa Peron, Albergo Doni, Albergo Gambero, etc. Please be aware that you'll probably be doing without an elevator and a/c at most of these places so if that' s an issue for you, check on it.

Jun 6th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Kathy

Locanda Sturion, a hotel, is at the top of your price range. They have no elevator, but they do have air-conditioning, and they're in a great location.

Yes, stay in Venice, in a hotel or pensione.

Kathy

Jun 6th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Robert

For at or under US$125, I would definitely recommend La Calcina on the Giudecca. We had a great room, great view of the canal and more comfotable than many of the more expensive hotels. For just a little more, try Accademia but reserve well in advance. Definitely stay in Venice. We did not, on this trip, staying in Garda instead and drove in for the day. We felt we missed something, it made the time there seemed too rushed.

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:07 AM
fran

While we're in Venice here, can someone give me a phonetic pronunciation on "Giudecca?" Also, while we're at it: "Brunelleschi." Those hard/soft g's and c's make me dizzy! Thanks.

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Kathy

Fran,
I'm hoping English is your native language, otherwise my "phonetics lesson" will be useless!

Guidecca

G'we day ka (and in the last syllable, try to hold the k--as odd as it sounds, there is some difference in "ca" & "cca".

Brunelleschi

brew nell es she & you will also hear
brew nell es key

In general in Italian, "chi" is "key", but sometimes when preceded by "s", it softens to "see".

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Beth Anderson

Fran,

The "ch" is pronounced as a "k".

BrunellesKI.

the same with bruschetta - brusKetta.

if anyone tells you that bruschetta is pronounced softly (shhh) - they are not only wrong, the person who told them that was puling their leg (there is a mafia joke in there somewhere...

the addition of the "s" can make it a little confusing & it seems intuitive (but wrong) to make it 'soft', but the only way you would pronounce it 'softly' (shhh) is if you dropped the "h" after the c.

"pesci" - peSHi

unless of course the c is followed by an "a, o, or u"

then it is a hard 'k' again.

guidecca - GWee-decca.

hope this helps...

Beth, the language lover...

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:43 AM
kam

Beth is absolutely correct. The thing about the double cc's is that an Italian would give a significant pause between the two and pronounce each in a separate syllabel. This is very difficult for an American but the closest example I can give you would be pizza--peets/sa or spaghetti---spa/get/tee. Don't know if that makes sense.

Jun 6th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Kathy

Dear Kam & Beth,
Thanks for the clarification. I kept getting hung up on "the exception to the rule", which was an Italian family I met (in Italy) by the last name Schiave. They pronounced it:

she ah vee

I thought they had to be kidding me, but they weren't!
Kathy

Jun 6th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Beth Anderson

Kathy,

maybe it is regional?

dunno, studied Italian under someone from Milano, and she did tell me a number of the regional exceptions - but that wasn't one of them...

I've always learnt that ch is k... regardless of whether an s is in there. plus my handy dandy dictionary says the same.

but, I suppose saying it wrong is a good way to meet people and learn something!!

Jun 6th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Kathy

Beth,
I'm thinking that it was regional or that the name had undergone some kind of pronounciation change in a dialect.

My first Italian prof was from Milan & then I studied with a prof from Naples, so I did learn that dialectically there can be a lot of variability, especially as you head south.

They were a really delightful family & that's probably why they always stick in my mind.
Cheers,
Kathy

Jun 6th, 2001, 01:42 PM
fran

Kathy, Beth, and Kam,
Thank you for going off-topic with me to clear up this little pronunciation problem of mine! Mille grazie!

Jun 6th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Rex

Giudecca - - which is NOT spelled gUIdecca - - is pronounced

Gee-you-deck-a

or run together

joo decka

It's a somewhat common mis-spelling - - with 2250 "hits" on Yahoo for Giudecca - - but 155 for Guidecca.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 6th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Kathy

Rex,
Agh! La vergogna.

Sono cosi triste, mi dispiace, caro.

Kathy

(Couldn't spell well in English prior to leaving America, can't spell any better since my return!)

Jun 6th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Celeste

Changing the subject back to what it originally was (LOL), my favorite hotel in Venice is absolutely Locanda Sturion, especially their Grand Canal front rooms! I quickly got used to the 69 marble stairs up to the hotel, and promised myself an extra scoop of gelato to make up for it!

I paid about $175 per night for a room with a king and twin right on the Grand Canal and it was wonderful.

Jun 6th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Kathy

Celeste,
Thanks & sorry for hogging the post!

I concur wholeheartedly with your opinions on Locanda Sturion. I will never stay anywhere else in Venice.

Best Wishes,
Kathy

Jun 8th, 2001, 12:12 PM
debbie

Thank you all for Venice suggestions. Nice to see all the Italian lessons and yes, you hit it on the head. I speak it and good advice was given. Ciao . . .

Oct 5th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Joe

Deb's probably made her hotel choice by now, but anyone else have suggestions for economical accommadations in Venice?

Oct 5th, 2001, 08:34 PM
John G

Dear Beth Anderson: Thank you so much for clearing something up for me. My best friend, Lynn, is Italian-American. She always says BROOSH ETTA for bruschetta. When I was in an Italian restaurant in Manhattan eons ago the waiter, who was from a little town in Lombardy, told me it was BROOSK ETTA. Well, everywhere I go I say it the correct way (BROOSK ETTA) and I get condradicted by my friend and others. In London last winter I went to the chain ASK and the waiter made a big point of telling me that I was wrong in my pronunciation, that it was BROOSH ETTA. Now, Im so tired of getting contradicted, that I don't order bruschetta anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO