Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your favorite tour companies for Rome ,Florence

Jun 13th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Hello there. Our family of four will be in Rome and Florence this fall and wed like to do some guided tours. In Rome wed like to visit the colosseum at night. In 2013 my husband and I did that and it was a highlight for him. My son would like to repeat that experience this year. I like the night tours because it frees up the day to do other things, so its an all around winner for us.We used Walks in Italy last time and I thought they were pretty good, but wondered if someone else had used another company that they thought was great. Ive done some research and it looks like most of them hit the same spots and most are about the same price, the exception being that some will offer student pricing or lower rates for the 17 year old. Having said that, is any one company better than another? You know have a deeper knowledge of history and a flair for the dramatic? I looked at tickets at coopculture and there was 1 ticket available for our dates in October, so clearly that wont work.
I would also appreciate tips on tours an early morning Vatican tour and maybe the Uffizi and the oltrarno area of Florence. Many thanks in advance. This forum has always done right by me.
Jun 13th, 2019, 03:40 PM

We used City Wonders for the Colosseum/Forum tour and an early-morning Vatican museum tour. We enjoyed both and would do them again. Keep in mind that if you do the Vatican Museum tour on Wednesday there is a good chance you won't be able to enter St. Peters because that's the day for papal audience. The tour meets very early, which is not my favorite on vacation, but it was worth it. Once we were done seeing the museum and Sistine Chapel hoards of tourists were coming inside.

In Florence we used a different company for an Uffizi tour. Honestly, I wouldn't do it again. Way too long. I would have much preferred to just tour it on my own and purchase early entry. Even with a tour and early entry there are still lines to stand in.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; Jun 13th, 2019 at 03:42 PM.