Your favorite threads on Florence and Venice (and Rome and Italy) on this forum

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your favorite threads on Florence and Venice (and Rome and Italy) on this forum

Hi, as I mentioned here, I'll be flying to Bologna in two months:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34640815

I'll get in on a Friday at noon and leave the following Monday at 3.

I'm interested in seeing the star locations. I did a quick search on train schedules, and I see that I can go to Padova, Florence, Venice and Ravenna easily.

From Florence I can go to Siena.

It sounds like a lot to cover, but I think that I can do it. I made the standard tourist trip in 1999.

I've not been expecting to go to Italy, so I've not been paying attention to the threads on Italy.

Are there any trip reports and threads that people have found especially useful? I'd like to take a look and do some research and then post my questions later.

Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 04:59 AM
rex

Not to offer a "put down" to this site, which I clearly love dearly - - but I'm not sure that the hundred best threads on these cities (and Italy in general) are as worthwhile as one good hour spent in the largest public library near you.

This forum is without par for providing answers to questions.

Notwithstanding this view, I'll look forward to seeing what answers others propose to you, for re-reading.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:03 AM
rex

And to show I'm not totally a curmudgeon...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34481469

and

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=20076039
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Well, rex, I'm sure you know that I read my travel guides (fairly) carefully.

But I find that there can be some gems in people's threads here.

One thing I find especially useful about the Fodor's forum is that there could be some tricks not especially mentioned in guide books.

Examples would be threads on PREM specials for France, GAC threads for trains in Italy, etc.

Or there might have been a hotel or restaurant gem mentioned in someone's trip report.

Ways for cutting lines and for getting reservations.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. As I said, I really haven't paid attention to threads on Italy, so I'd rather someone tell me rather than reinvent the wheel.

But maybe it might have been better for me to research first and ask questions later. But I just figured that these locations receive so much coverage here that I should look at some useful ones before asking to make sure that I'm not asking the same questions that've been asked 100 times before.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I think I'd disagree with Rex. Since discovering this site, I've given up guidebooks and libraries pretty much all together. I find that pouring through threads here, and maybe asking questions as you go will give you far more ideas with seemingly more personal angles to them. I now use this site almost exclusively for cities I've never been to, as well as for suggestions on those I return to.

That said, my favorite Venice post of all time has to be the one from Elvira where she and the "loons" rented a houseboat for a week. It's called something about the "ham tacos and the toilet's sucking mud". But I can never seem to find it with a search.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I have heard so much about the Elvira and the loons thread. It is legendary on this board but, alas, it predates my entree to Fodors. Does anybody have it???
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Well, I've to say that my comfort level with the forum is not the same as yours, Patrick, in that I'd not rely on this forum exclusively.

I always try to check a few sources as time permits.

I think that one weakness of this site, as rex hinted at, and which I believe is true, is that there's just no good way to find out what's in the threads on the forum. That's why I asked in the first place (and why I wanted to do the Superthread for Paris).

If there's no organization, how'd I know where to look?

Search, you say, but we know that that engine has a problem....

It's not like I can turn to p. 123 and oh, I'll read this section on Bologna now.

Then ask your questions, you say, but then I'm the sort who likes to read and plan a little before I ask.

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:30 AM

And i would diagree that one particular person who posts here, including myself in that group, has all "THE" answers about all the arcane subjects.

As much as I know about the European rail system and for as long as the 40 years + I have been using it I have on more than one occasion given inaccurate information in response to a post...and SO HAS EVERYONE ELSE you have mentioned by name and otherwise.

I knowwe've been "told" the search function doesn't work but it has been working fine for me...and frankly, some of those threads about how many pairs of capri pants you need to wear in Italy you can definitely do without IMO.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm not looking for a philosophical discussion.

Surely someone must have bookmarked a few (useful?) threads somewhere that I'd rather read in my spare time?

I must also admit that I don't use bookmarks and rely on memory. If you're the same, then please use your memory to dig out the threads that you think I should read.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

And by the way, if you type Florence in the search box, this is #1 on the list right now:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1271022

I'm not saying that the search engine is useless. I'm just saying that it's not useful as it could be.

But then I could spend all the time I've used typing up my posts on this thread to search for threads.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Regarding the search function, I agree that it's often frustrating at best. I'm often looking for a specific thing I've read and can't find it no matter how hard I try, and that even included looking for my own older posts. But if you are looking for information about Venice transporation, or more specifically airport to Venice transporation, the search function will always bring up a wealth of information. Maybe a specific post is missing, but you'll still get more specific information that reading a guidebook! Here someone will have told you which direction to go out a door, or even which stop to get off for a particular hotel, etc. And if you don't find those directions to your hotel, you merely need to ask and someone will probably come along in the next couple of hours (if not minutes) and tell you. You aren't going to find that in a guide book.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

No worries. You'll all be hearing from me again -- with more specific questions.

When I do that just don't flame me and say, "Oh that's been asked 100 times already."

I did try soliciting more general info to start.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:19 AM

The frustration I experience with the Fodor's search function prevents me from referring you to any threads.

But here are a few ideas to be going on with:

I know it's contrary to the way you normally travel, but please, please do not think that you can do Padova, Florence, Venice, Ravenna and Siena, let alone include Rome, in three days.

The points of interest in Padova are limited in number (only one, as far as I'm concerned: Giotto's Cappella degli Scrovegni (reservations -- for a 15-minute visit! -- required; there is a Web site).

One goes to Ravenna for the mosaics, but off the top of my head, there are the two baptisteries, two churches of Sant'Apollinare (one is outside the town itself), the tomb of Galla Placidia. I can't imagine seeing them all in less than a full day.

Siena is also relatively limited in points of interest: Palazzo Pubblico (interior above all), Duomo (including Piccolomini Library), Baptistery, Museo dell'Opera dell Duomo; with a few exceptions, the Pinacotaca Nazionale is not very interesting; I don't think you're into religious sites, so you can forget the places associated with St. Catherine of Siena (I have managed to do so in four trips to Siena...). Siena is basically medieval, and you could probably do it in a day.

But Florence and Venice are a whole different kettle of fish! Either city has more art worth seeing than the Netherlands and Belgium put together.

If you want Renaissance, Florence is the place to go; it's practically wall-to-wall Renaissance. Reservations required for the Uffizi and the Accademia (Michelangelo's David); endless threads here about how to make them (by phone). But, but: the Medici Tombs, the Bargello sculpture museum, the Duomo, the Baptistery, the Museo dell'Opera dell Duomo, the Galleria Palatina in the Palazzo Pitti, Museo San Marco (Fra Angelico) and the churches: San Lorenzo, Santo Spirito, San Miniato (not Renaissance, but an absolute jewel on a hill overlooking Florence), Carmine (for Brancacci Chapel with frescoes by Masaccio and Lippo Lippi, among others), Santa Maria Novella (with cloister and Bibliotheca Laurenziana), Santa Croce (with Brunelleschi's Pazzi Chapel), and probably a dozen others that I've forgotten. You could spend half a day doing the various frescoes/paintings of the Last Supper, five of them, I think, scattered throughout Florence. Three days are not really enough for Florence alone.

And Venice is no better, except that the range of styles, in both art and architecture, is much, much broader, from Byzantine to Baroque. I think it is Robespierre who has put together a very complete list of Venice's points of interest; with Fodor's terrific search function, I can't find it.

Correction: It's RufusTFirefly's list for Venice. Here it is, with my apologies to him for editing and annotating it:

"A partial list of things to visit, see, and do in Venice:

"Piazza San Marco, Basilica San Marco, Campanile, Palace of the Doges, Grand Canal on a vaporetto, lagoon islands: (Murano, Burano, Torcello, San Michele; especially Torcello).

"Accademia, Correr Museum, Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Ca Rezzonico (18th-century art), Galleria Querini-Stampalia (a mixed bag, probably the first I would drop), Ca d'Oro (small but interesting collection), Ca Pesaro (modern; i.e., post 18th-century art; I've never visited it), numerous art shows and exhibits that are always running (the most important ones are at the Palazzo Grassi), l'Arsenale and the Naval Museum (I've taken a vaporetto through l'Arsenale, have never visited the Naval Museum).

"Too many churches to list with interesting art and architecture, but: Basilica Santa Maria della Salute, Basilica dei Frari, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Zaccaria, San Sebastiano (wall-to-wall Veronese), San Giorgio Maggiore and Il Redentore (both for Palladio's architecture), Santi Giovanni e Paolo, Madonna dell'Orto (Tintoretto). Venice's churches have some of Italy's greatest works of art -- by Tintoretto, Veronese, Titian, Bellini, Vivarini, and Carpaccio.

"Scuola Grande di San Rocco (Tintoretto), Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni (Carpaccio), Scuola Grande dei Carmini (Tiepolo, as far as I recall -- or was that Scuola di San Giovanni Evangelista?).

"Campo Santa Maria Formosa, Campo Santa Margherita, Ponte di Rialto, Rialto market, the Ghetto. Gondola tour of smaller, hidden canals. Opera and concerts at La Fenice. Walking away from the daytripping herds and discovering a quiet, secret city that most tourists have no clue exists."

End of RufusTFirefly's list (as annotated and edited by me).

I'm not going to even go near the topic of Rome. Three days would barely scrape the surface. I know, I know, I suggested Rome, and if Rome -- and Rome alone -- is what you want, I can certainly put together a list. Just as a point of information: There is of course ancient Rome, but there was not much happening in art and architecture in Rome between the early Christian era and the Baroque (personally, I would not even class St. Peter's Basilica as Renaissance...), but there are innumerable fascinating early Christian churches in Rome that far too few people know about, and as for Baroque churches, one stumbles over them at almost every corner.

And while you're thinking about all this, do bear in mind that most churches, where a great deal of the art and architecture in Florence and Venice is found, close between about noon and 3:00 or 4:00 p.m.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise. I know that I can't possibly see all of it -- don't worry, I'm probably not insane enough to think I can squeeze Rome into all this. So if I do go to Rome, then I'll just drop the rest, but I think it's unlikely.

As I mentioned, I did go to Florence and Venice in 1999. So I'm ok with going to Florence and not seeing David, as much as I enjoyed it. But I did miss Bargello, and I didn't see the Massacio fresco cycle ("Tribute Money" comes up a lot in art books -- for the innovative use of perspective). I did go to Uffizi, but I obviously want to go again.

As for Venice, I missed Accademia. Apparently I went to Frari (I've a ticket stub), but I don't remember it at all. As much as I like Titian, I'd probably skip it on limited time. I also saw the Tintorettos at San Rocco. So again, this would something I would skip.

I've never been to Siena. But I'd want to see the cathedral and the Duccio "Maesta." I think it's in Siena and this is where Italian art starts -- well, I guess really with Cimabue, but still. I'd be interested in the Giotto cycle at Padua for the same reason.

So what I'm trying to say is that I'll try to draw a list and stick to it. I'm not going to attempt to see everything of interest. I think that I'll spend some time researching art pieces and organizing them in some order of importance and that makes sense to me, and then I'll organize my trip accordingly.

Ravenna mosaics won't fit into this, but I won't kill myself if I can't go there, as much as I'd be interested.

I know I only have 3 days and not 3 weeks.

So, hope this clarifies things!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

By the way, even if I don't end up in Rome, I don't mind having a list of useful threads -- that way if I do go again I'll know where to look.

I do want to revisit -- it's just not very feasible for a long weekend trip and I'm usually to travel to new destinations when I take a week off.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Italy is one of the more popular topics on this forum and there's ZILLIONS (okay, a whole bunch) of threads addressing your topics. Here are several to get you started ...

~ Helpful Information: Italy 2 ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

~ Elaine, please HELP!!! ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34557400
[Elaine is a long time poster/visitor to this site and maintains extensive files on the big 3 cities in Italy, as well as Paris, London, etc.]

VENICE:
~ Four Days In Venice ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34600365

~ Places to stay in Venice ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34643587

TRIP REPORTS FROM 2004 - 2005:
[You'll find plenty of TR's . . . and as you can tell by some of the titles, I enjoy an author w/ sense of humor & joive de vivre]

~ Vendors in Venice, Valpolicella in Verona, and a Clandenstine MaiTai sighting. What else could you want in a trip report? ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34500984

~ IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING ABOUT FOOD, DON'T READ THIS ITALY TRIP REPORT ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34541705

~ Northern Italy Trip Report!! (Venice, Verona, Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Milan) ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34504856

~ Four pastas, three fires, someone will wait - Candert Trip Report ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34535275

~ Italy trip report Sept 04 ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34558697
. . . . Shana’s take on the St. Mark’s / pigeon phenomena . . . . “I will never understand why people want pigeons in St. Mark to land on them. They’re still pigeons. They don’t make you better looking and won’t help you win the lottery. Pigeons poop. On you. Ew!”

~ Back from Italy - had great trip - WillTravel checking in ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34551471

~ TRIP REPORT – Rome, Venice and Northern Italy May 2005 TRIP REPORT – Rome, Venice and Northern Italy May 2005 TRIP REPORT – Rome, Venice and Northern Italy May 2005 TRIP REPORT - Rome, Venice and Northern Italy May 2005 ~
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34628464
[In above TR Mylesaway tells about FALLING into a canal in Venice, and other memorable moments from his Italy adventure]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
FLORENCE …. Threads about shopping

- Leather or pottery shopping -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34603682

- leather store in florence -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34523989

- Italian Gold a Bargain Anymore? -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34563848

- Off the beaten path in Florence -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34598619

Santa Maria Novella Farmacia
Via dela Scala, 16, very close to the Church of the SM Novella and the train station
- Santa Maria Novella fans-advice needed -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34483318

OTHER ITALY TOPICS > > >
The search function on this forum is abysmal (at best) ... however you may also pull up relevant threads by keying in "train and GAC" ... a plethora of Q&A's around train transport in Italy and what type of train (ES versus IC debate) …. Or if seeking restaurant and/or hotel suggestions, then “Rome and restaurant” or “Florence and hotel”.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Tess - Thank very much for doing all that research and putting a great list of threads together. Very nice of you.

I will be going to Italy for the first time in October and these wiil come in handy.

Tom
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Tess. Exactly what I needed. I'll read some of these and see what I find.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

In one of the threads that Tess gave, I found this one:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34511883

This Times (UK) article is a good read:

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/arti...0271_2,00.html
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Sorry -- preceding post re <b> Florence </b>.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -