Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Shop in Sorrento for Cameos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Mo

Is it true cameos are found around Sorrento? I want to get some for gifts when there in November. What is the name of your favorite shop and what is a reasonable price for a cameo pendant today?? Any other shop that I "must" visit while there?

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Linda

Can't give you the name of particular shops but your hotel should be able to guide you to a good one. But, yes, Sorrento is a great place to purchase cameos--they are made there. One of my favorite pieces is a shell (the same type cameo jewelry is made from) that has a cameo face carved into it. They should be fairly inexpensive, under $15, I should think. Jewelry will be found in a wide price range. You may be able to find small ones for as little as $20 USD, but there will be very expensive ones also. It really depends on the quality and size. While in Sorrento, especially if you are looking for gifts, stop in a Sorrento woodworking shop. Inlaid wood is one of the specialties of the region. You can buy small musical jewelry boxes for as little as $25 USD--and they cost at least half again as much in the US. The larger the box, the more you will save. For instance, I have one that cost $35 (about 5 years ago). I've seen inferior ones here in the States, the same size, for over $100. There are also other inlaid wood pieces: trays, tea tray tables, game tables, etc. The shops will ship for you. Just be sure to get a recommendation from your hotel for a reputable one first. Oh, and they will bargain with you. Lastly, if you get a music box, look on the tag on the bottom of the box. It will tell you it has a Swiss movement (that's OK--you don't really want an Italian, but the box is Italian), and will say what song the box plays. My favorite box plays "Ritora a Sorrento" (Return to Sorrento). Every time I play it, memories of this beautiful city of oranges and warm breezes play through my head. Another plays O Sole Mio, which brings wonderful memories of Naples and walking by the bay on a warm summer night. A wonderful way to return for a few minutes. Have fun in Sorrento.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Myer

My wife wants to plan another trip to Sorrento because she forgot to buy a music box she saw in a store. <BR>I don't remember the store or the street but I'll describe how to get there. <BR>If standing in the main square on the main street face the Marina (you can't see it). Turn left. Walk on the right hand side of the street. Walk 5 minutes looking for the store. Can't miss it. <BR> <BR>We were there before Y2K and bought a calendar for year 2000. My wife took it out to use just before the new year and noticed a problem. All months started at the same place on the page. To do this each month had a different column (S, M, T, W, T, F, S) starting the month. Needless to say we did not use it.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Kavey

Off topic for the post title... but to continue on the inlaid boxes... <BR> <BR>We found it was worth shopping around Sorrento... though we had assumed the cheaper and smaller pieces were factory made we changed our mind when we noticed a marked difference in quality of workmanship between some shops. <BR> <BR>Infact in the shop we eventually bought from the old gentleman showed us how he did the inlay on a template lathe thing. <BR> <BR>We found his work much finer and neater than neighbouring shops. (Some shops just buy from local workshops, others make their own). <BR> <BR>We got a few small boxes as gifts and chose a magnificent chess board for ourselves... very heavy handluggage but worth it (the postage would have been prohibitive). <BR> <BR>Also my hub loves chilled Limoncello from the freezer... another good buy (if you can stomach it... I am not so keen) <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Myer

As to my post above. The square is Tasso and the street is Corso Italia. <BR> <BR>Kavey. <BR>Why don't you let us know where you found the best work and value? Save us the trouble of visiting every store.