Your Favorite London Guidebook

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will soon be in London for six days, and we would appreciate your suggestion for a good London guidebook to use while we are there.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM
georgeclooney

How many places you going to?

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi George,

We have been to London many years ago. On this trip we will be in London after three weeks in Italy and five days in Paris.

We all miss your aunt, Rosemary--a great lady.

HTTY

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I like Time Out London.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Dorling Kindersley Eye Witness guide. I like the pictures/cross sections of famous buildings with major sights picked out. Easy for reference
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:32 AM

For a well written literary survey within the broader historical perspective and with many references to places of interest in and around the city, I can recommend the London volume of the Bloom's Literary Places series (Chelsea House, Philadelphia, 2005)which I've just finished. (And now finding the Paris companion just as promising).

"And so to bed ..." (with regards to Mr Pepys)
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 05:05 AM

HTTY - Would agree with Time Out London. Also, for a guidebook that's comprehensive and very handy to carry with you, we like Fodor's City Pack London. Has references to major points of interest, hours, suggested excursions, shopping, theater, walking tours, restaurants, history, etc. and very detailed map of city and underground. We go to London quite often, and I find the City Pack to be a very handy guick reference guide. (And, no, I don't work for Fodor's! - just like the book).
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:16 AM

DK Eyewitness and Michelin guide.
The DK books have wonderful pictures, and accurate maps.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Access London and Fodors of course!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
SRS

I like Time Out London and Rick Steves' London.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM

My all time favorite book to take with me is the Fodors City pack books. Like the Fodors city pack london was wonderful. It gave me the top 25 sites to see. My hubby would mark what we wanted to see and and then planned our day. It was easy to use and I will tell you that we have one for nearly everywhere we have traveled. Very easy read. A quick reference guide to put in your back pocket. The rest of the places we visited (that were not on the list) came from here at Fodors Talk. The people here are very knowledgible and give great insite as to places off the beaten track. Both are Godsend in my opinion. Between these 2 I know wher I am going and have a fabulous time.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM

And as for the guidebook question, I've used Fodor's Citypacks also and really like them. I usually bring a <u>Blue Guide Museums and Galleries of London</u> which is dense and very heavy (and expensive!) but provides detailed information. I've also used the <u>Time Out London Eating &amp; Drinking</u>. A friend of mine has Rick Steves' book on London and I photocopied sections on Oxford, the Tower of London, and Westminster Abbey. Another specialty guidebook that I've enjoyed using is <u>Amateur Historian's Guide to Tudor and Medieval London</u>.

Don't you just hate it when someone answers a question you didn't ask? Sorry to say that's where I'm headed, but I do want to highly recommend the Central London map put out by Red Maps.

The company puts out an amazing product; I swear by this map, which I’ve used for 3 visits now. It is a small company – you call (212 255-4645) and they send your map with an invoice, which you pay by check. I’ve also seen their maps at our local Barnes &amp; Noble.

I cannot say enough good things about this map: it is durable, extremely legible, covers almost everywhere we went, shows all major sights and sites, and has the tube routes clearly overlaid on the streets. Going from walking on the streets to hopping on the tube is a seamless process with the Red Map. Color coded dots (match the color of each tube line) indicate the exact locations of tube. The best part is that each of the transit lines can be traced easily to its end or where it leaves the map, and there is a label of what that line is called.

We have had a few other London maps (including Streetwise), but this is head and shoulders above the rest. We do have an AtoZ pocket map for the occasions when we venture off the edge of the Red Map’s coverage (which has only happened once or twice on our three London trips.)

You can get a look at the maps at:
http://www.redmaps.com/
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these great suggestions.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM
yk

noe- Can you tell me more about the Blue Guide Museums and Galleries of London? I like art museums and possibly will go to London for 5 days next month. I have about 10 museums/galleries on my list to visit (including the smaller ones such as Dulwich and Wallace Collection).
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM

When I go to London again I will bring Rick Steves' London guidebook (it's brief and gives you the highlights (look elsewhere for in-depth info). His book has London walks which are great.

I'd also bring the Streetwise London map. Didn't know about it when I went to London 10 yrs ago but used it as a bible in Paris.

I would now research on the Internet and Fodors and print out info for specific places. You can toss as you go.

Of course, Fodors and others are great but heavy to carry.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM

We were very happy with The London Mapguide by Michael Middleditch. It's small enough to put in your purse, yet has detailed maps, suggestions on what to see, historical notes, a really good Tube map, and bus information.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM

yk, here's a link to the amazon.com page listing the Blue Guide Museums &amp; Galleries of London:
http://tinyurl.com/246nnc

It's 377 pages, and about the size of a standard guidebook such as Fodor's. But because the paper is nice white coated stock it is a bit heavier (weighs in at 22 oz on my kitchen scale.)

The book has multi-page entries on approximately 150y museums and galleries in London, including floor plans and descriptions of the major works in each. The entry on the Victoria &amp; Albert is around 23 pages, for example, while Buckingham Palace merits 5.

I bought mine at the local Barnes &amp; Noble, and paid list price, but I see that Amazon had it for $18.45US.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer about it.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM
yk

noe - Thanks. There are no reviews on Amazon, so that wasn't too helpful. I may try to head out to local bookstores and see if any carry it, but I highly doubt that. With it being heavy is a big turn-off!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Actually, yk, it weighs in at at little less than 3 oz heavier than my Rough Guide to London.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:42 AM
yk

noe- I called around this morning, and a nearby Barnes &amp; Noble does have it in stock. I'll swing by some time today to peek at it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -