Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   YOUR FAVORITE GREEK ISLANDS? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/your-favorite-greek-islands-76632/)

Tom Ward Jun 19th, 2000 01:30 PM

YOUR FAVORITE GREEK ISLANDS?

WE ARE PLANNING A TRIP TO GREECE IN MAY 2001 AND WOULD LIKE TO EXPERIENCE TWO OR THREE DIFFERENT ISLANDS. SANTORINI (THERA) SEEMS TO BE A "MUST SEE" DESTINATION. WE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SUGGESTIONS FOR SECOND AND THIRD CHOICES. ANY THAT SHOULD BE AVOIDED? WE'RE MORE INTERESTED IN SCENERY & SIGHTS THAN PARTY ISLANDS BUT DON'T WANT ANYTHING TOO "SLEEPY". LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS. THANKS

Robin Jun 19th, 2000 02:36 PM

Tom-- I and many others on this forum love Paros-- do a search to see for yourself! I also enjoyed Rhodes. Avoid the beach hotels and focus on history-- there's lots there to see. And yes, Santorini is unforgettable.

Thyra Jun 19th, 2000 03:11 PM

Tom, we are planning a trip to Greece in October and I was kind of overwhelmed by all the islands and what to see etc. I highly recommend you check out www.greektravel.com <BR>It's a site hosted by Matt Barrett who's something of an amateur expert on Greece, he has a Greek island synopsis that goes through each of the islands alphabetically and gives a couple of paragraphs with many color photos and links on the most popular/interesting ones. I found the info invaluable in making our decisions on where to go!Also this forum has had much debate on the subject as well Good luck. Just FYI we picked Santorini, Mykonos (we DO like to party), plus a yacht trip to the Saronic Gulf islands, Hydra etc.

Mel Jun 19th, 2000 04:11 PM

Also check out the recent hosted forum on the greek islands--really interesting stuff.

Tony Jun 23rd, 2000 10:15 AM

Hi Tom, My wife and I would definitely recommend Naxos.It has a very fascinating main town.The beaches down the west side are superb from Agia georgos down to agia Anna.The people are amongst the most friendly in Greece. <BR>We were there in 98 and are going back again in September

Peter Pelegris Jul 14th, 2000 05:36 AM

Hi Tom, <BR>I highly recommend Santorini. The right expression is "breath-taking". If you want a quiet town, stay in Oia (wow on the sunsets). If you want action Fira. Must see: black sand and red sand beaches, ancient town of Thira, Akrotiri (awsome), and you must take a tour of the volcano. <BR> <BR>St. Nicholas in Crete is great. <BR> <BR>I just returned from Rhodes. It was very good, Santorini was better. <BR> <BR>pp

Martina Jul 16th, 2000 07:26 AM

Hi Tom, <BR> <BR>how about Paros??? <BR> <BR>Welcome to have a look at my Website: <BR> <BR>www.paros-online.com <BR> <BR>Greetings, <BR>Martina

Steven Bird Jul 16th, 2000 05:38 PM

Santorini, Rhodes, Mykinos. Stay in Oia in Santorini. Fanari Villas is great or Esperas or Katikies. The 7 day Royal Olympic Cruise of the islands is a great way to sample them. We did that then spent a week in Santorini.

Penny Jul 17th, 2000 04:02 PM

Crete-- <BR> <BR>From Chania, hike the Gorge of Samaria. <BR> <BR>Tour Knossos and Phaestos, old Minoan sites. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the beaches, the calamari, the harbors, the people. <BR> <BR>You can sail from there to Santorini. My husband and I flew to Crete from Athens and intended to sail back via Santorini. The seas were too rough, however, and we used our Santorini time in Crete. Loved every minute.

Johnnalee Jul 17th, 2000 04:07 PM

Myconos - a must! From quaint to underground, you have it all here. Hint- go "inside" the windy streets for the best bistros and nightlife. Fabulous arts here. Enjoy!

Carolineq Jul 26th, 2000 04:37 AM

There's one island that always gives the "SUMMER-EXPERIENCE",that sensation of beachlife,culture.nightlife and nice people....And that's SKIATHOS...I love that island so totally,and this year I leaving with a friend for the 3.time!www.skiathosinfo.com

Debbie P Jul 26th, 2000 10:11 PM

All the islands that have been recommended are great. I also loved Corfu and Zakynthos on the Ionian side. <BR>Early September is the best time to go.