Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Your favorite food in Germany? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/your-favorite-food-in-germany-788540/)

tdelano Jun 6th, 2009 02:12 PM

Your favorite food in Germany?

We are getting close to our June trip to Munich, Fussen area, and Rothenburg. What are some foods we should not miss? If you would be so kind as to tell me how the food will be listed on menus and a description of what it is that would be really helpful!! Or your favorite casual restaurant? I am not a big sausage/pork fan am i going to starve? :)
Thanks!

bettyk Jun 6th, 2009 02:57 PM

To me, Germany has some of the best soups ever. DH loves Leberknudelsuppe, which is a big liver dumpling in broth. I, other the other hand, do not care for liver, but love Fritattensuppe which is thin pancake strips in broth. Both of us love the Kartoffelsuppe or potato soup. Gulaschsuppe is like Goulash but with a thiner sauce.

And BREAD!! Oh, we absolutely love all the different types of bread and rolls.

Give me a big bowl of soup and some bread and I'm good to go.

J62 Jun 6th, 2009 03:08 PM

I like a good braised pork knuckles when I can find it. Meat just falls off the bone, just like the more common (in the US) braised veal or lamb shank (aka oso bucco at your local Italian restaurant). It'll be listed as a Schweinshaxe on any German menu.

RSTravelers Jun 6th, 2009 03:12 PM

Another vote for the Gulaschsuppe....I loved it and also the potatoes with dinner, but don't remember how that was written on the menu. You have to try the delicious Apfel Strudel or almost any of their cakes(kuchen)are very good. Every hotel we stayed in put out an ample breakfast buffet so you can feel satisfied to start out the day.

logos999 Jun 6th, 2009 03:14 PM

Wiener and Weißwurst from Vinzenzmurr http://www.vinzenzmurr.de/
Yes, you will starve, if you don't eat ;-)

Robespierre Jun 6th, 2009 03:17 PM

Sauerbraten - marinated beef served with Spätzle and red cabbage

Rahmschnitzel - veal escalopes in cream sauce

Favorite restaurant (nowhere near Füssen) is http://www.gilden-brauhaus.de in a northern suburb of Köln or www.Boennsch.de in Bonn.

But if you don't care for pork or sausage, you might want to skip Germany entirely :))

logos999 Jun 6th, 2009 03:18 PM

This weeks fast food menu
http://www.vinzenzmurr.de/mittagstisch_imbiss.html

logos999 Jun 6th, 2009 03:21 PM

On Monday, I'll have
"Rinderroulade mit Blaukraut und Püree" 5.95€ incl. taxes.

See picture
http://www.vinzenzmurr.de/mittagstis...ag-2er-neu.jpg

Gary_Mc Jun 6th, 2009 03:29 PM

My favorite pastry, Mandelhörnchen, is readily available in Rothenburg.

I like Forelle Muellerin Art. Trout fried or broiled often with almond slivers and usually served with boiled potatoes in butter.

Turkey Schnitzels (Puten) seem to be readily available these days. It is often served with a creme or mushroom sauce. My wife likes these.

Regards, Gary

Cowboy1968 Jun 6th, 2009 03:37 PM

When in Munich you should eat at least once in a real beer garden. It's VERY casual, and a real beer garden has two sections: self-service (no table-cloths), and a section with service (tables have cloths).
Forget all that pork, because some of the best fares are vegetarian or have little to do with sausages:

#1 Brathendl mit Kartoffelsalat (half of a roast chicken w/ cold or luke warm potato salat); the crust is usually to die for
#2 Obatzda: a cheese-based specialty. vegetarian but not one bit low in calories.
#3 Leberkäs (mit süßem Senf / with sweet mustard); well, here we do have some pork in it.. but whatever goes in there should remain a secret anyway :-)
#4 Brezn (no worries, not your tiny dry pretzel, but a mutant giant version with soft dough that can serve as one meal if eaten alone)
#5 Steckerlfisch ( fish on a stick).. usually some fatty mackerel or similar
#6 the morning after an evening with too much beer should start with a Weißwurstfrühstück (weisswurst breakfast), which is a pair of white sausages (no pork, it's veal) and half a white/wheat beer (half means half a liter).

And you can also BYO food at a real Munich beer garden if you sit in the self-service section. Just never ever BYO drinks. Those have to be bought there.

Anything you eat can be poured down with beer (no worries, you will find many kinds of softdrinks in beer gardens as well), BUT there is only one brewery that does it right: Augustiner. You will see their trademark at the right pubs, their brewery beer hall, or their own beer garden (which is in walking distance of Munich's central station).
Löwenbräu or similar beer-like liquids are more like Budweiser or Heineken: streamlined industry products for numbed taste buds.

Robespierre Jun 6th, 2009 03:42 PM

Get a good food translator and read the general notes before you get to Germany. I use and recommend <U>The Hungry Traveler Germany</u>.

What's up with these prices (scroll down)? http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5/ref=dp_olp_3

enzian Jun 6th, 2009 03:44 PM

You won't starve----there's lots of good food in Germany besides pork dishes.

Gary mentioned Forelle---trout. That is on many menus., and you may see other fish as well. And there is almost always chicken, either roasted (Brathuhn) or a boneless, skinless breast, either grilled or breaded and sauteed (Schnitzel, but not Weiner Schnitzel, as that would be veal).

If you like ice cream, seek out Spaghetti Eis in Munich. It's basically a strawberry sundae, but the "sauce" is lightly sweetened pureed strawberries, very fresh and flavorful. And the presentation is fun.

We found a great casual place near Peterskirche--I think it was towards the Victualmarkt from there but very close. They had lots of salads, pizza, pasta, etc. I don't remember the name but it had bright, modern decor, extensive beer and wine list, and very friendly service.

logos999 Jun 6th, 2009 03:47 PM

Inflation must have hit badly today with prices up from 1ct to 167.79 :D :D
Wonder what happens if somone accidentally clicks "1-Click ordering".

BKP Jun 6th, 2009 03:50 PM

I'll echo bettyk and mention soup! We had a tomato soup and a potato soup that were absolutely wonderful. A big bowl of soup and a big hunk of bread = perfect!

logos999 Jun 6th, 2009 04:06 PM

Don't be fooled, tomato soup takes hours to produce, what you were eating was a result of "state of the art" industrial food processing technolgy. Nevertheless, as long as it tastes good, why would anybody complain!!

Zeus Jun 6th, 2009 04:20 PM

Kebaps make great, filling lunches and seem to be almost everywhere now. You can't go wrong with Currywurst either for a mid-day meal.

I'll eat any kind of Schnitzel for dinner because I know I'll be served more than I can eat, and I'm a huge eater. Try Maultaschen sometime. It's kind of like a Raviloi/Pierogi/Potsticker. The Germans are great at finding wild mushrooms and they are incredible inside a Maultaschen.

Mainhattengirl Jun 6th, 2009 10:05 PM

Well, it is still asparagus season and strawberry season, so you will see a lot of those items on the menu - "spargel" & "erdbeeren". One of my favorites are menu items with "Pfifferling" or chanterelles in them. These are simply my favorite mushroom. Rucola salads are big right now, and one of my faves is rucola with sauteed oyster mushrooms and parmesan. Love schnitzels especially with a greeen peppercorn sauce. If you were coming to Frankfurt, I would recommend the "Gruene sosse" or green sauce, but alas, you are not. I eat this every chance I can get.

Logos, I make homemade tomato soup all the time, and it does not take hours and is very simple to make. Always tastes great and once you start making it, you will never buy the canned stuff again.

logos999 Jun 7th, 2009 01:32 AM

Mainhattengirl, cook, peel, reduce and flotte lotte. I hope you don't add nasty things like flour. :D

JulieVikmanis Jun 7th, 2009 01:48 AM

I agree that the trout is wonderful and is probably one of the least "heavy" things you can order in many places. A good place to get chicken is the Weinerwald restaurant chain. (I think there is one in Munich). They have it in every possible form. My favorite is something like Hausfrauenart--meaning in the style of the haus frau. It's a dish of potatoes fried with bacon and chicken chunks. Used to have a fried egg on top, but it hasn't been served that way in my last couple of visits. It's really tasty.

fourfortravel Jun 7th, 2009 01:58 AM

Another vote for the soups, especially frittatensuppe. I don't think I've seen kasespaetzle listed--basically the German variety of macaroni and cheese, and prepared a variety of ways.