Reload this Page >

Your FAVORITE farmhouse/apartment in Tuscany/Umbria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:05 AM
Carolyn

Hello,<BR> I'm looking to stay in Tuscany/Umbria for my honeymoon . I'd like to rent a farmhouse, apartment or villa as long as it has a kitchen. I'd like to be in OR around the Cortona area.<BR> What's your favorite place? Could you supply the name, the town it's in and the website if possible.<BR><BR>Thanks for all your help, Carolyn<BR><BR>PS Share one or two favorite features about the rental

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:48 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Carolyn, There are dozens of great and personal reviews at www.slowtrav.com<BR>Let me suggest that Cortona may not be the best central location to tour Tuscany--a bit off the path. It is a decent location for Umbria, however.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:05 AM
Tom

Almost impossible for someone to make a specific recommendation without knowing how many beds/bedrooms/baths you require, and general ideas about your budget.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:22 AM
Dale

Assuming that there will be two people on your honeymoon, I can recommend two of my favorite places in and near Bevagna in Umbria. In town, try the Piazza Onofri website. They have thirteen apartments in the center of Bevagna. More rural is le Case Gialle with four apartments, near Gualdo Catania. I have stayed in both places and, though its quite a drive to Cortona, they are close to several places that will make you forget Cortona. If you need more info, please email. Ciao.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:28 AM
Tom

Sincerely apologize. Didn't see the word honeymoon.<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
Tess

Carolyn,<BR><BR>In Nov-2002, the travel section of Dallas Morning News had an extensive article about rentals in Tuscany area. Here are several resources they provided re: properties.<BR>- www.terretrusche.com (Louise Maciejewski &amp; Vittori Camorri have 200 rms in villas &amp; farmhouses around Cortona)<BR>- www.tuscany-goldcrown.com (Lee Cogher has 21 units in 14th-century village Borgo di Vagli)<BR>- www.divinetours.com (Antonio Lapucci in Chianti)<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:03 PM
Carolyn

Thanks so far for all your recommendations. It's fun looking them up.<BR> Bob, two years ago I stayed in a villa in Volterra and did Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena etc. So this time around I figured I'd see more of Umbria area. I picked Cortona but your personal favorite could be anywhere around that area.<BR> I have visited &quot;slowtrav&quot; site, it's informative to a point. Unfortunately, I'm still new to figuring out this dang computer so maybe I'm not navigating there site very well.<BR><BR>Anyway, I have found some farmhouses. I just find it a bit uneasy to book a place site unseen. That's why I was asking everyone to share their favorites and then I can check it out and see if it works for me.<BR><BR>Thanks again, carolyn

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:53 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Contact Zak at Tuscan House--he has several good places in that area and he is easy to deal with. He is a regular at the slowtrav site. Do not get a standalone farm house--too much can go wrong. Take a look at a place we liked called Santa Maria degli Ancilloti. Wonderful apts. on a hill near Assisi.<BR>Great family and food.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:10 AM
Carolyn

Hi Bob,<BR> Thanks again for all your help. I'll give it a try!!<BR><BR>Carolyn

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:20 AM
LJ

Carolyn, &quot;Bob the navigator&quot; is, I believe, referring to a Parker Company property called Dua de Spada,in the hillside nr. Assisi (but closer to Santa Maria del Angliotti). <BR><BR>We stayed there last year and can recommend it without hesitation. Very good value for money, with charm and atmosphere. The owner,Fabrizio (very charming and discrete, with decent if not fluent, English)is conscientious while staying out of your way. <BR><BR>Views,antique furnishing and comfortable bed and chairs/sofas, good lighting(with cable TV and phones and maid service available) laundry, nearby fabulous drives with a very nice little kitchen and luxury every evening in your own place. It was a second (3rd? 4th?) honeymoon for us and we loved it and plan to return next year. Get Fabrizio to give you direction to La Roccacolli Restaurant-what a find!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:19 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hmmm ! I found a Xmas card from them.<BR>try www.santamariadegliancillotti.com<BR><BR>Rent directly--not thru Parker.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:12 PM
LJ

ttt for the honeymooner...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Tess

Up for Di.