Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Your favorite cities? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/your-favorite-cities-188806/)

jamcat Jan 5th, 2004 04:54 AM

Your favorite cities?

If you were flying to Europe for the first time and had ten days - where would you visit? Love small towns, mountains, hiking, beautiful drives, castles, friendly people. Also don't have children and prefer to avoid the "disneyland" type areas. Would appreciate your help. Thanks!

mamc Jan 5th, 2004 05:05 AM

For a first visit: In winter, Paris and London. In spring, summer and fall, Paris and the French countryside - either Normandy, the Loire or Provence.

ira Jan 5th, 2004 05:19 AM

Hi jam,

Your first trip should be a week or so in Paris. That way, if you die, you won't be disappointed.

zootsi Jan 5th, 2004 05:53 AM

Consider Austria, which seems to have what you are looking for- beautiful small villages, mountains, hiking, castles, and friendly people. I agree that Paris is the most beautiful European city, but Vienna is not far behind, and most of it's people speak some English.

cmt Jan 5th, 2004 05:54 AM

Me? For a first visit, for only ten days, Florence and Venice. I'd stay more nights in Florence, to allow time for some day trips to a few other towns or smaller cities in Tuscany from there. I'd spend most of the Venice days in Venice itself, with maybe one day trip or at most two.

Surfergirl Jan 5th, 2004 06:37 AM

If it weren't your first time, I'd say focus on Denmark and Norway, both of which have all that you are looking for, including very friendly people.

I would say first time London and Paris (Ira's comment is spot on!), but those two cities each have only one or two of what you request.

You didn't say what season, so if it's summer, my top pick that has everything you list would be the Trondheim and Bergen areas in Norway. You also get pretty close to the midnight sun in the summer months, which is just another bonus.

Jocelyn_P Jan 5th, 2004 06:46 AM

My first European trip was to Austria--I felt like I was living a fairy tale! The people were so accomodating, everything was so clean and charming, and Vienna absolutely stole my heart.

jamikins Jan 5th, 2004 07:19 AM

I would spend 1/2 the time in Paris, and the other half exploring another French region like Normandy or Burgundy

UKUKUK Jan 5th, 2004 08:35 AM

I would consider Switzerland. Many small towns (Montreux, Vevey, Lucerne, possibly also Lausanne - population circa 100,000 so it is not that small).

You have many mountains in Switzerland, chateaus and castles and the Swiss are so good at English and so geared up to toursim that it will not be at all stressful.

You could also do a short trip in to either France, Italy or Germany or Austria as Switzerland has borders five countries. IMO - Liechenstein is a bit of a waste of time!

Juliekl Jan 5th, 2004 08:41 AM

I love Bavaria in southern Germany. Fly into Munich and then tour southern germany - be sure to see Neuchwanstein Castle! Food is wonderful and sights are magical. Venture into Austria if time permits.

JandaO Jan 5th, 2004 08:46 AM

cmt,
You got my vote. Not seeing Italy would be a sin :)

Grasshopper Jan 5th, 2004 08:55 AM

Jamcat, You are describing Switzerland. There are so many choices, you can't go wrong. You can even choose the language you prefer by region. Montreux (French), St. Moritz (German), Locarno/Bellinzona (Italian).

Paris is great but doesn't fit any of your "loves".

bobthenavigator Jan 5th, 2004 08:55 AM

I agree with some above.For a first trip I think the big cities are too intense. I would fly into and out from Munich and do the castle country of bavaria, Salzburg, and the Lake region of Austria. Easy, compact, user friendly, not expensive, charmimg! BTW, that was our first trip in 1961 and we have returned to Europe 21 more times.

jamcat Jan 6th, 2004 08:47 AM

Thank you so much for your input! I'm sorry I didn't mention time of year - it would be September. Hopefully, avoiding the heavy tourism. Did this change anyone's opinion?

jmv Jan 6th, 2004 09:57 AM

I also made Austria the start of my first trip to Europe. Flew into Vienna, spent time there, then through Linz to Salzburg and spent time as well in Munich and Bavaria, especially Garmisch-Partenkirchen. That was in 1973 and we've been back over 35 times since, but Vienna always seems special. I agree with what's been said above. For what you say you like, you'd do well to go to Austria and Bavaria. As I did, you can branch out to other places on subsequent trips. You'll surely want to return.

jamcat Jan 14th, 2004 09:46 AM

Ok after your postings & a few hours at the bookstore, we will probably fly into Frankfurt because its seems less expensive than Munich. Then I was thinking of taking a train to Switzerland & visiting the Oberland (sp?) area for 3 days, on the Austria (the area below Salzburg & take the drive that sounds so nice, then to Germany (Bavarian area).Several posts mentioned not renting a car in Austria -very expensive - but should have one to drive there. So I should rent the car in Switzerland? I am looking at the logistics of the trip and its scary! I can't even understand the rail website! BTW I am feeling little overwhelmed right now!

jamcat Jan 21st, 2004 06:12 PM

Is anyone out there??? Just wanted to bring this up again. Would appreciate input regarding car rental. Also do you normally rent a cell phone before you leave US? Who from?

StCirq Jan 21st, 2004 06:57 PM

jamcat: For car rental, contact AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com or 1-800-223-5555).

I bought a cell phone in Europe for about what I would have rented one for -$80. Works like a charm and the reception back to the States is frighteningly good.

If you love small towns as opposed to big cities, may I suggest the Italian Lakes district and Dolomites in Italy, the Dordogne in France, the hilltowns of Tuscany, or maybe Andalusia in Spain. It's hard to say, as there are so many regions in Europe that fit your description. I'd need more info to get more precise.

JN Jan 23rd, 2004 05:35 AM

If I were making my first trip, I'd buy a rail pass of some sort and use the trains. Easy, chance to actually view the country side and the systems in Germany, Austria and Switzerland are so efficient. Cars give flexibility, but if you are feeling overwhelmed with planning, just think of how you'd feel driving in a country in which you don't speak the language (assumption on my part). You lose some flexibility, but you gain peace of mind, IMO.

As for itinerary, after a long flight, I'd suggest staying one or two nights in an area near Frankfurt prior to heading for Switz and Austria. Heidelberg might be a good choice.

After Berner Oberland, you might consider Luzern: small town, beautiful lakes and mountains, great food and lots of shopping.

Salzburg and surrounding area is among our favorites--very beautiful, friendly people, great food and so many people who wear the traditional austrian clothing.

Good luck and enjoy every minute of your trip.

jamcat Jan 23rd, 2004 09:09 AM

We were going to do the trains in every area except Austria because most posting say its a must to drive the area. You are right - I don't speak the language! These ideas sound wonderful. So many places to see! I will look into the Italian area you mentioned. Thanks. Please keep the ideas coming. Think of what else you wish you'd known when you went the first time. We are pretty Adventurous.