Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your favorite "cheesy" or "unusual" site?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Thyra

Hi All, I am always intrigued by "favorite" postings. We've done restaurants, five senses, cities etc. I am always interested in finding new and unusual things to see, things that are possibly off the usual "must see" lists. I also have a shameful appreciation of kitschy and/or silly sites (subjective I realize) that provide some of my favorite memories. Please share yours.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 12:59 PM
s.fowler

Well this isn't *quite* travel... Or maybe it is [for the cow!] -- the site is based in Norway. Does that count? In any case you need Internet Explorer for this one.... <BR>http://www.mediafarm.no/forsoksgard/kukaster.asp

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Sue

Not a travel site, but www.hamsterdance.com always makes me smile!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 07:28 AM
elvira

Not really travel, but any of the stick figure death theater sites make me laugh so hard that I cry. <BR> <BR>Oh, and the Peeps sites, too. <BR> <BR>Now, for the serious part: not in Europe, but in Fez - the Wood Museum. Details upon request.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 08:03 AM
stacey

I always stop at a Hard Rock cafe, whether its domestic or foreign travel and pick up a pin that shows the location.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Lori

I,like Stacey, visit the Hard Rock shops. But I buy T-shirts.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Ruth

The chapel of bones in a little town in Portugal. Quite a sight.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:23 AM
kavey

The crypt under a church in Rome, the Capucin monks made whole rooms sets out of bones... <BR>More surreal than spooky. <BR> <BR>Advise getting the Weird Europe book Elvira posted about some time back. I do have it but it is lost somewhere in a pile or other in my messy house...

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 03:35 PM
jeff

Hi Thyra, <BR> Two strange places come to mind. The first one is the underground catacombs in Paris. There are thousands upon thousands of neatly stacked up bones and skulls. <BR> The other site would be the Sex Museum in Amsterdam. They leave nothing to the imagination, but I wouldn't say it was tacky or distasteful.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Kerry

Like Stacey and Laurie, I go to the Local Hard Rock Cafe's for the shot glasses. More popular than I thought!!!

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Cass

Not to be persnickety, but are we talking "sites" as in websites or "sights" as in locales that one might see as a tourist? <BR> <BR>Frankly, I have yet to see anyting in Europe that rivalled the Hearst Castle for kitsch on a grandiose scale.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 08:22 PM
Sandi

<BR>Long live the Hard Rock Cafes!

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 09:01 PM
elvira

<BR>Cass, I'll see your Hearst Castle and raise you the Liberace Museum in Vegas.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 09:16 PM
Paul

I think it's time to play my trump card - the Barbie Hall of Fame in Palo Alto.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:08 AM
Paige

Anybody know the scoop on the Weird Europe mentioned above? Sounds like my kind of book!

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Ann

Sorry, Paul, but I've got a royal flush. <BR> <BR>"Where the Ducks Walk on the Fish". The Spillway, near Linesville, PA, on the Pymatuming Lake. P.Lake is man made and fishing is prohibited in parts of it. There is one section where these giant carp mass together so much for the bread the tourists throw that the ducks literally walk across them. Not to be missed. And it's the only tourist attraction we western PA natives have. Bring your own bread! <BR> <BR>House on the Rock. Somewhere in Wisconsin. Stopped there on a whim. This guy started building a house literally on the side of a wall, and financed it by charging locals a quarter to see it. He finished the house, and started traveling the world, and brought back a gazillion things from his travels. The house soon overflowed, so he built warehouses. Admission was something like $15, but worth it. We flew through it in 3.5 hours--you could literally spend all day in this place. <BR> <BR>The Corn Palace in South Dakota. Haven't been for years, but where else can you learn so damn much about corn in one place? <BR> <BR>A little less kitzy, and more well known, but one of my favorite places in D.C. The statue of Einstein, tucked behind some trees on Constitution Avenue. It's on the opposite side of the street from the Vietnam Memorial. Legend has it if you kiss your signficiant other while sitting in his lap, you'll be together forever. It's worked so far.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Ann

Sorry, Paul, but I've got a royal flush. <BR> <BR>"Where the Ducks Walk on the Fish". The Spillway, near Linesville, PA, on the Pymatuming Lake. P.Lake is man made and fishing is prohibited in parts of it. There is one section where these giant carp mass together so much for the bread the tourists throw that the ducks literally walk across them. Not to be missed. And it's the only tourist attraction we western PA natives have. Bring your own bread! <BR> <BR>House on the Rock. Somewhere in Wisconsin. Stopped there on a whim. This guy started building a house literally on the side of a wall, and financed it by charging locals a quarter to see it. He finished the house, and started traveling the world, and brought back a gazillion things from his travels. The house soon overflowed, so he built warehouses. Admission was something like $15, but worth it. We flew through it in 3.5 hours--you could literally spend all day in this place. <BR> <BR>The Corn Palace in South Dakota. Haven't been for years, but where else can you learn so damn much about corn in one place? <BR> <BR>A little less kitschy, and more well known, but one of my favorite places in D.C. The statue of Einstein, tucked behind some trees on Constitution Avenue. It's on the opposite side of the street from the Vietnam Memorial. Legend has it if you kiss your signficiant other while sitting in his lap, you'll be together forever. It's worked so far.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 07:04 AM
ilisa

What could be tackier than South of the Border in Dillon, SC? And who could miss Rock City in Tennessee where you can supposedly see seven states? Einstein is at the National Academy of Sciences. Who knew that he was such a romantic?

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Thyra

Wow, who would have thought this would get so many postings! Thanks to all, actually I meant either sights or sites...OK my favorite cheesy sight was <BR>"The Thing" which is this little tourist trap somewhere between Los Angeles and Tombstone Arizona... you see the signs for miles, then you get there pay your $5 bucks and view this "mummified thing" in a glass case.... then on the shop to buy a momento of course..I really want to get that Weird Europe book, so far my favorite "cheesy" sight in Europe (no offence to anyone please) was the Loch Ness Monster Museum... Need I say more? <BR>Keep them coming!

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 10:05 AM
lynn

How about the museum of torture, or whatever it's called, in Rothenburg, Germany? Very strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -