Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Champagne Houses in Reims & Epernay, France

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

For those who have made the trip, what are your favorite champagne houses for tasting in Reims and Epernay, France, and why?

Here is a list of the more prominent ones, and you can sort it by location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...agne_producers

I have only been to Pommery in Reims, but will be headed back in October, and I'm looking to visit somewhere different this time. Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM

We enjoyed visiting and a champagne tasting at Moet & Chandon in Epernay. It is an historical property which you certainly realize when you tour their caves. A nice expereince.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I have only visited Veuve Clicquot which I enjoyed immensely. Reims is a beautiful place and well worth exploring.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you! I'm excited to visit Veuve, as it was closed while I was in Paris last January and February. Thank you for the rec on Moet in Epernay as well. I had my eye on that too, so we might have to split up the day and see both places
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 05:35 AM

Have been to Moet & Chandon which is nice. Reims is a beautiful town and the Cathedral there is beautiful. One I would love to do (closed when I was in the Champagne resion last year), because the Champagne is soooooo good is Billecart-Salmon. I believe it is in Epernay, Their rose champagne is my favorite of all.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:43 AM

We enjoyed our visit to Ruinart, in Reims. It's our favorite champagne, and it's the oldest champagne house. You have to make an appointment in advance for a tour there.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM

We visited Taitinger. Built under demolished abbey, in quarries dug out by Romans. Good tour, nice tasting, we liked it. Also walkable from town centre
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM

My experience is extremely limited, but one day I took a tour with Cityrama tours. We went to Piper-Heidsieck (did not really like) and Moet and Chandon, which was lovely. This is a brief account of my day (I am Jazz),
http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...9&page=1#80056

Only after coming home did I read the excellent book, The Widow Clicqot, http://www.amazon.ca/Widow-Clicquot-...0711823&sr=1-2

Now, I would definitely love to visit Veuve-Clicquot. The book is not only a good biography of the lady, it is an excellent and intriguing story of the development of the champagne industry in France. La veuve Clicquot was rather remarkable in the development of the champagne industry, as were a few other women.

Here is an excellent site to access all of the champagne houses in the area, http://www.maisons-champagne.com/tra.../limach_gb.htm
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the additional recommendations! CopperandJade: I actually have that book and I need to finish it before this upcoming trip. We are booked at Veuve, so I know that is happening for sure. I will have a look at the other recommendations to see where the additional effervescence will occur
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:14 PM

I agree read The Widow Cliquot!It is interesting and would be great background prior to your visit. I was there last summer and found her childhood home in Reims and our guides for Reims didn't know that! The cathedral there is spectacular, if you don't already know it. Enjoy.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I think Moet et Chandon is the classic and was fantastic. I was just disappointed that they didn't discount sale prices at all since I had wanted to take a couple of bottles home.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Well, the day will go as follows:

9am train from Paris
12:30pm lunch at Le Jardin les Crayeres
2:00pm tour at Veuve Clicquot
5:15pm train back to Paris

This should give us enough time to explore Reims (I've been before but he hasn't), get in a fabulous meal, visit a champagnerie, and head back to Paris for our last night before St. Petersburg

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM

We toured Veuve Clicquot this past spring and loved it.

We took the TGV from Paris to Reims - it only look about 45 min. or so and was a great way to travel.

After we arrived, we toured the Musee de la Reddition. It isn't too far from the train station. (Not too close either, I might add - it took us a little while to find it). The history within this relatively modest former schoolhouse is absolutely fascinating and should not be missed.

After touring the museum, we walked through Reims to the Cathedral. It is breathtakingly beautiful and well worth visiting.

We had lunch at L'Atelier des Crepes. (I had read about this place in a trip report here.) It was a perfect place for lunch & not too far from the Cathedral. As we had experienced earlier in the morning with trying to find the Musee de la Reddition, finding this place also took a while. I had the name of the place, but not the address - thought it would be within eyesight of the church but I was wrong, of course. A visit to the Tourist Office near the Cathedral set us straight - they were very helpful with giving us the address & directions.

From there, we walked the remaining distance to Veuve Clicquot for our early afternoon tour that we had scheduled well in advance. It was a wonderful tour - so interesting, very well done & a lot of fun. At the end of the tour, they called a taxi for us to take us back to the train station. We had a great day in Reims.