Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your experience shipping Italian pottery out of Italy and to your home?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Carolyn

Hello,

I went to Italy two years ago and wished I had purchased more Italian pottery/ceramics etc. I was afraid to carry too much on the plane in case it broke and I just didn't have any info on how to ship it back home.

I'm returning this fall and REALLY would
like to purchase more.

Does anyone have information on how to: Is it costly? Would you recommend buying insurance? Does the store guarantee a safe shipment? Some stores won't ship it so then where do you go -to ship it?

Thanks, Carolyn

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Barb

I have purchased pottery in a few different shops in Deruta, Italy and have had it shipped to New York. It was relatively expensive to do, but in every case the pottery was packed well and arrived intact. Shipping time varied from a week to two months. Make sure you have your receipt and a name, address and telephone number that you can contact. I've also had pottery shipped from France with the same good results. I think if the shop will ship through the Post Office rather than the the special delivery companies (DHL, Fedex etc.) it will be cheaper. It's worth inquiring about.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Wendy

Carolyn,

We shipped home a lot of ceramics from the Amalfi Coast a few years ago. To give you an idea, we had two large crated boxes delivered. With shipping and yes, definitely insurance (!!) it cost us about $250 US to have the ceramics delivered to our door. By the way, the ceramics arrived in good shape- not one broken! I would only buy from stores that shipped, and certainly get insurance. I would also make sure that the shipment will be delivered to your house, as it's a total pain to have to go to the airport and get it through customs yourself. Good luck!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Carolyn

Make sure you get current feedback. In the past I have never had a problem. Since 9/11, every single glass item I have shipped arrived broken.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:50 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

We have shipped home twice.Both times it was packed at the place of purchase and arrived here safely. However, both times we had to take it to the post office and deal with the considerable hassle of forms etc. Bottom line--it cost me 2 hours each time and the savings were negated by the shipping costs. We hand carried some last trip.
You have to really want it !

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Marty

Carolyn: We shipped from Positano in July. While it did not arrive until October, it was all in excellent condition-not a crack. We expected it to take some time, because the artist who was making the light fixture was n vacation the entire month of September. We paid $60 to ship a light fixture, 3 tiles, a large covered soup tureen with a lid and plate to go under it. Just be sure you are in a good shop and be sure to get all of the shop's information, in case there is a problem.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Amy

Carolyn, I had a large lamp and a few bowls shipped home from Capri in March 2001. It arrived in mid-April. I believe it cost about $150, but I must say it was immaculately packed and everything arrive in one piece. One caveat, the gentleman who sold us the goods had us write our initials on each piece (in an area that wouldn't be seen) so that we would know it was the piece we'd picked. He said often times there is a switch at some disreputable shops and people end up with lesser quality goods.

I am heading back to Italy in March and won't hesitate to send more ceramics and glass home. I'd rather pay to get it home in one piece than have to tote it home myself or not buy it at all.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Alli

Last time in Tuscany, we packed all the ceramics in our rental car and before we returned the car to Florence, we visited one of those stores like a Mailboxes USA (that may even be what it was called there) and sent it all UPS oursekves. We sent two large boxes for around 100 total and everything got here in one piece.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Betsyh

Another tip: take a photo in the shop of the pieces you buy. Then you'll have a photo record of what you bought in addition to your receipt in case the shipment is lost.