Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your Best Meal In Tuscany Or Umbria.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Frank

If you had to pick the best meal or 2 you had in Tuscany and/or Umbria, where was it? Do you have the restaurant's website or other information? We want this to be a very special time, as it's our 20th anniversary. Thanks. Frank

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Marilyn

Pull up my post "Orvieto Restaurant Report" for some of my favorites.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Dale

Frank:<BR><BR>I can recommend several trattorie in central Umbria, but my favorite is Taverna del Pescatore in Pigge, a "suburb" of Trevi. Watch for the little signs along the road (going south, the trattoria is on the right and can't be seen from the roadway). Try to lunch there on a sunny day so you can sit under the enormous tent along side the stream with the tiny waterfall. Great food and wine. I'll be there in three weeks and can't wait. Phone: 0742 780920. Closed Wednesdays.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:33 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Frank, I have to believe that geography is a factor. It is 3 hours from Orvieto to Lucca. Where will you be?<BR>My picks: Cane e Gato in Siena--Buca di San Antonio in Lucca--Arnolfo in Colle.<BR>Good luck ! There are dozens of great places to eat.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Janice

Spello is one of my favorite Umbrian cities. Try the restaurant Il Molino. For a truly unforgettable dining<BR>and sensory experience near the Tuscan<BR>city of Cortona, go to Il Falconiere. You can also find excellent lodging<BR>there.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Nick

Also in Spello is La Bastiglia near the top of the town. Magnifico!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Nick

Also in Spello os La Bastiglia near the top of the town. Magnifico!!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Frank

BOB, We'll be spending about 5 weeks covering pretty much from north to the south of each province. That's why we're open to suggestions. Thanks. Frank

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Sia

My favorite restaurant in Umbria is at the "castle" Oscano, near Perugia. (39)075.584371 or www.oscano.com<BR>Just don't ask for a bottle of Chianti<BR<BR>Ciao<BR>Sia

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:56 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Frank, Good for you--I am so jealous !<BR>In that case, here is my list. Have fun.<BR><BR><BR>I have never been called “ BOB THE GOURMET”. Most of the places mentioned here come from former clients. It is hard to get a bad meal in Italia, but these are among the best in Toscana.<BR>______________________________________ ___________________________<BR>TOWN NAME ADDRESS PHONE <BR>______________________________________________ _____________________________<BR><BR>FLORENCE Enotoca Pinchiorri Via Ghibellina 87 055-242777 $$$<BR><BR>FLORENCE CIBREO Via del Verocchio 8 055-2341100<BR>The trattoria behind the ristorante is half the price for the same dishes. <BR><BR>SIENA OSTERIA LE LOGGE Via del Porrione 33-- near Campo- Reserve! <BR><BR>SIENA CANE E GATO Via Pagliaresi 6 0577-287545 A happening !<BR>One seating per nite for a multi-course delight. Reservations a must.<BR><BR>LUCCA BUCCA DI ST. ANTONIO near San Michele My favorite !<BR><BR>LUCCA IL GIGLIO Piazza del Giglio 0583-494508 Local favorite.<BR><BR>MONTEPULCIANO LA GROTTA San Biagio Upscale Tuscan fare<BR><BR>MONTEFOLLONICO LA CHIUSA via Madonnina 88 577-669668 <BR>Call to reserve here. Small and quaint with flawless service. <BR><BR>MONTALCINO Taverna Grappolo Blu Centro in this wine town 577-847150 <BR><BR>COLLE VAL D’ELSA ARNOLFO via xx Settembre 50 0577-920549 <BR>Excellent gourmet food, but expensive. Only 24 seats so call ahead.<BR><BR>CASTELLINI ANTICA TRATTORIA LA TORRE In town square--very good !<BR><BR>SAN GIMIGNANO LE VECCHIE MURA Not fancy, but good local fare.<BR> <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Frank

Thanks to BOB, Marilyn, and everyone else for those wonderful suggestions! Frank