Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Your best and worst room in Grand de Ecoles and Lyon-Mullhouse (Paris)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/your-best-and-worst-room-in-grand-de-ecoles-and-lyon-mullhouse-paris-327379/)

kukulemon Jun 14th, 2003 12:07 PM

Your best and worst room in Grand de Ecoles and Lyon-Mullhouse (Paris)?

Looking for a nice room, preferably with a balcone and two twin beds in Paris for under 100euro.

LVSue Jun 14th, 2003 01:39 PM

Much better title. I responded to trying again, but I'll get this one to the top.

The three traveling Texas gals (Sandy b) loved the Lyon-Mulhouse and stayed in a huge quad (2 double beds, I think) from whence they could see the Bastille. I think their room number was 26. It would cost more than a double, but it might be worth it for the room.

Check out this site: I think it was the room with the two orange beds. Click on it. Looks like two singles put together and a regular double bed. (By the way, I did see the room; they showed us after dinner.)

http://www.france-paris.com/1-hotel-...S/index-gb.htm

kukulemon Jun 14th, 2003 01:54 PM

Thank you so much, It is so nice to get replay!!
Is it very noisy there? I send them (Lyon Mulhouse) request for a quiet room in the back, but now I am not sure that rooms are nice in the back. Is it very noisy in the room you recommend.
I am from Texas too (I work in UT southwestern medical school in Dallas)

HowardR Jun 14th, 2003 02:43 PM

The Grandes Ecoles does not have rooms with balconies. The view is not what you go there for. You go because, as one tour book put it, the hotel is "like a little oasis in the middle of Paris." It is comprised of three buildings which sort of surround a courtyard. The best rooms are in the building, which I believe, is called the garden building. The least desirable rooms are those in the "main" building (i.e., where the office/registration area is). Any more info needed?

LVSue Jun 14th, 2003 03:36 PM

I'll try to get Sandy to answer you--it's a small world. I don't think they were bothered by the noise either because the room was higher up or because they shut the windows.

kukulemon Jun 14th, 2003 04:04 PM

Dear Howard,
Yes yes I do need more info.
Is it the same for everybody else or it is just crazy me. I am sleeping and eating near my PC in a desperate search of perfection in Paris.
Could you recommend me what should I say in my reservation request, except that I need room in the garden building? What floor, what side of the building?

LVSue Jun 14th, 2003 04:37 PM

Hi, Olga. I e-mailed Sandy. If she's in town, I'm sure she'll hop on here.

Speaking of language, I'm going to Russia in August and it's taken me four months to learn to pronounce <i>zdrastvuytye</i>! And I only have a month and a half to learn something else. What's your favorite Russian dish?

kukulemon Jun 14th, 2003 04:47 PM

That is so great, Sue!
I like pirogi and blini (with cavier or salted salmon), also borsh (red soup). Go to georgia restorant. Georgian food is very tasty. Also if you are in a wine mood, georgian wine is the best in russia (my favorite is kindzmarauli, if you can prononce it:-) )
What city will you stay in?

sandy_b Jun 14th, 2003 05:08 PM

Hi Kukulemon,

This is Sandy_b, Sue just emailed me and said you were asking about LM.

I've stayed there twice and I recommended it to my boss and she liked it, too. I have lots of info and pictures of my rooms . . . but, all of it is at my office. I'll respond again on Monday.

One of the best things about the LM is its location, just half a block from the Bastille metro, the opera, two ATMs, internet, restaurants and within walking distance of good shopping. OK, two best things . . . the price is terrific.

Once I had a triple room and the other, a double. Both had balconies, view of the Bastille monument, bath, and even a hairdryer . . . all this at budget prices . . . around $77 for triple, $70 for double. I doubt that you can beat it.

If you want to see the photos, email me and I'll send them . . . [email protected] (we're practically neighbors . . . I'm in Denton).

Sandy

carrolldf Jun 14th, 2003 06:23 PM

Sandy -- this hotel sounds wonderful.

I'll be in Paris in October and am interested. How many floors and do they have an elevator? If is said on the web site, I missed it.
Thanks.

adrienne Jun 14th, 2003 06:43 PM

Hi kukulemon,

When booking a room at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles you should ask for a room in the building across from reception on the first floor. The windows in the ground floor rooms open directly onto the garden and offer no privacy and no security when the window is open. If it is hot you will need to sleep with the window open because the hotel doesn't have air conditioning. The first floor rooms have large windows like the ground floor rooms. The second floor rooms (where I stayed) have large windows but not as large as the first and ground floor. There is an elevator in the building and a security lock for both the buildings and the entrance door to the courtyard at night. I believe they lock up at 8:00 or 9:00 and you need your special key to open the doors after that time. There is also a night manager on duty.

There are no balconies at this hotel. As HowardR states - there is no street view. The view of the garden is lovely.

The rooms are very charming. The wallpaper is floral and the bed has a crocheted coverlit. The bathrooms are large and recently renovated with deep tub. There is plenty of cupboard storage space and a closet. I don't remember a TV but since I don't watch TV on vacation I may be wrong.

You can have breakfast in the garden and buy a picnic supper from the shops in the area and eat lunch or supper at the tables in the garden.

Hope this answers your questions.

adrienne

kukulemon Jun 14th, 2003 07:07 PM

To carrolldf:
Mulhouse charges 85 euro plus 5 for breakfast nowadays, which is still good. I think it has 6 floors as most of the buildings in the area. I cannot decide if i was to safe 60$ for 5 days and stay there or pay just a bit more and go to Grandes Ecoles or Familia.
Another great choice which was mentioned here a lot is Hotel du Lys.

LVSue Jun 14th, 2003 08:23 PM

Olga, I'm going on a river cruise starting in Moscow, ending at St. Petersburg with stops in between. I'll look for your Georgian wine (and practice saying it). :-)

HowardR Jun 15th, 2003 05:18 AM

Adrienne's additional comments about the Grandes Ecoles are quite accurate. Actually, a room in two of three buildigns would fine. We stayed in a second-floor corner room in the third building, which had a view of the courtyard and we loved it.
In general ask for a room that is NOT in the same building as the office/dining room and you'll be fine.