Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Your absolute fave place to get authentic fish and chips?

Your absolute fave place to get authentic fish and chips?

Apr 21st, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Your absolute fave place to get authentic fish and chips?

What is your absolutely favorite place to get authentic fish and chips in London?

I tried some there on my last trip, but I didn't get the feel it was really authentic...it seemed more jazzed up and more health concious (I received and entire fish...some bones still there, lightly battered, and fries that resembled american fries and nothing like the "chips" my friends have told me of).

I want some authentic fish and chips, maybe served up in a newspaper if possible......!
Apr 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM

I think serving in newspaper has been banned by edicts of Brusselscrats enforcing some kind of EU sanitary rule. Anyway by Waterloo station, right out front is the Fishcoteque, promising traditional Engllish Fish and Chips - and the one i had certainly was what you're expecting.
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great! Was it too greasy for you, or just right?

I want to try some fish and chips, but my last experience at a local pub in my city gave me a piece the size of texas, and it was a bit too oily and made me sick.

I just want a nice little bite----something that won't weigh me down since I am going, going, going.......always walking when I travel.
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Neopolitan

I love them at Rock and Sole Plaice.
http://www.rockandsoleplaice.com/

I hated the horrible service (they lost our order, but wouldn't admit it until the third time I asked where our food was), as well as the cold chips and the dried out overcooked fish at Geale's, often touted as being the best.

And I may get crucified for this but we popped into a Harry Ramsden's one day near Picadilly and thought the fish and the chips were simply delicious, even thought it felt like eating in a MacDonalds. My partner also dubbed the mushy peas as the best he'd ever had -- he considers himself an expert on the matter.

Apr 21st, 2006, 09:38 AM

No the Fishcoteque was not too greasy and the place i looks like it strives to serve traditional fish and chips in a quality style - was crisp and yummie to my tummie. I'm not saying this is the best chippie in London but for traditional stuff yes and there is a large sit-down restaurant as well as take out. a little vinegar with those chips?
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I am no fan of vinegar...that is what I skip on when eating fish and chips...no vinegar for me!
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
tod

This question was posted sometime last year if I remember correctly, and a superb recommendation was from a Fodorite who suggested a Fish 'n Chip shop in Leigh street just off Cartwright Gardens. I am not sure whether the area qualifies as Bloomsbury or Euston.
I do know the area fairly well having stayed in the local several times but unfortunately never knew about the famous fish!
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so I checked out the Rock and Sole place and it looks cheaper to do takeaway.....

Odd question of the day.....how common is it to eat food in public? Here, of course, in the US, you see people eating while walking down the street all the time. But how common is this in London?
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM

It's the North Sea Fish Restaurant on Leigh Street. It's at the arrow just below St. Pancras/King's Cross:

http://tinyurl.com/dob2p

Best f&c I've ever eaten.
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM

"how common is it to eat food in public?"

Dead common.

Well, you did ask for it, phrasing it that way.

Also very, very, normal. Sadly it's also common to chuck the paper onto the street. In this, DON'T do as the Romans. If you can't find a litter bin (aka "invitation to terrorists"), take the wrapping home with you.
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM
tod

There you go! Robespierre does it again (thank goodness).
About eating "on the hoof" as it is termed - I personally think it is a disgusting practice!
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:26 AM

ttt
Apr 21st, 2006, 04:18 PM

Another vote for the Rock and Sole Plaice. They definitely had my favorite fish and chips in London.
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
Neopolitan

An interesting note about Rock and Sole Plaice. This was the first place I ever went that I used a credit card and they brought the charge in US dollars, not pounds. I started to throw a tantrum (well, politely if that's possible). They insisted that they have an American bank and that it actually would be at the current bank rate. Sure enough, a quick tally made me think it was a very good rate. I gave up arguing as it was such a small bill. Guess what. I kept my receipt and when it appeared on my credit card bill, it was indeed the same rate as I was getting at ATMs that day and there was no foreign service charge. Is it owned by Americans or what? I don't know how they managed to do this, but it appeared that the entire charge went through an American bank.

Apr 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

That doesn't sound uncommon...when I went to London there were quite a few places that wanted to know if I wanted my purchase rang up in dollars or in pounds.
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM

Always let them ring it up in £s and not $s. Same with the €s.

Nice list. I'll be sure to try some this summer. Research, of course!
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Neopolitan

ilovetotravel, you missed my point. It is not unusual for places to want to run the bill up in dollars, but it is very unusual for that to actually come out good for the customer. Their dollar amount will usually be converted from a higher than it should be exchange rate. Then the bank actually converts it again, and your credit card will add its one to three percent on top of it. This was unusual as none of that happened.

Apr 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM

Good to know that about the Rock and Sole Plaice. I won't throw a tantrum, not even a nice one, if they want to convert.

And keep the suggestions going! We all have fish and chips places to conquer!
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM

The Sea Shell I believe it is in Charring Cross. So good and a very nice place.
Just ate there a few weeks ago! Yum!
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM

We had very good F&Cs at the Golden Hind. They let you bring your own wine or beer (as they don't sell it) - and there's a wine shop around the corner.

Here's a TimeOut article on London's Best Fish & Chips:
http://tinyurl.com/ow73x

Search this Thread