Help with Portugal and Porto

Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Portugal and Porto

Hi all, I am going to Porto Portugal October 11 for 7 nights. I am using this as a base. I was hoping the experts can give me some ideas I can do day trips from Porto to other interesting places in Portugal. I will not have a car, so I will need to use bus and train transportation for my day trips. I love the beach area, not that big always going to Museums, heard about castles in the area. Would probably go to Lisbon for a day trip, and maybe Fatima. Although I heard it is the 100 year anniversary of the sighting of the Virgin Mary, so I would like to stay away from very large crowds.

Any suggestions on day trips, and the best transportation mode to get there will be very much appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:59 AM

why not split time between Porto and Lisbon? A day trip to Lisbon would be very ephmeral experience - but there are several great day trips by train from Porto (which has its own beach too) - research Guimares, Braga, Batalha Monastery, Duoro Valley - book Lisbon trains online at www.cp.pt- Portugeuse Railways web site and get discounted fares over walk up - Fatima is a bit hard to get by public transit but possible. Anyway great resources for trains and where to go check www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com- sage tips on booking own trains online.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 10:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you visit Guimares, the original capital of Portugal. Lots to see and do tnere. We spent a couple of days. Also, Ponte de Lima, Viana do Castelo, Braga.We had a car rental so can’t help you with public transportation. You can take a day cruise up the Douro River past the terraced vineyards too.
I agree that you stay in Lisbon for several days.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 01:23 PM

Yes, Guimares was so exceptional - did not know much about it but really liked it.

Braga was nice but its highlight for us was:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/bom-jesus-do-monte