Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Young female traveller solo in Western Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I would like to take a month to see parts of Europe. Although I love to travel, I am quite nervous as I haven't done much solo travelling. As well, I have already had a bad experience on the trains in New York; I got lost (alone) taking the train back to Long Island late at night. I ended up spending a good three hours (picture it at 2:30 to 4:30 am) waiting in Jamaica station and two smaller communities on long island, and have never been so scared in my life! Lucky for me the employees in Jamaica station took pity on me and let me sit in their booth.

Here are my stats:
- single white female, very petite, 28 years old but sometimes mistaken for a teenager
- I live in a Canadian city of about 700 000 (including the surrounding area)
- 1 solo trip to each of Disney World, Montreal, Cold Spring Harbor Long Island (from which I visited New York)

This is where I want to go, staying in a combination of hostels and bugjet hotels:
London
Paris
Venice
Rome
Madrid

My questions are these:
1) Do restaurant staff, people working ticket sales to attractions, etc speak English? I know I should make an effort to learn the local language, but since I'm not so good at that ....
2) How hard is it to navigate public transportation in the above mentioned cities if you don't speak the language?
3) Would you expect that I will feel safe in these cities, even if I am out alone at night? On public transportation?

Thanks so much for all your input!

Summer
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM

It was years ago when I was single in Europe, but I made a point of hanging out with other young women who I met in the hostels I stayed in. I made friends from all around the world this way. It was a great experience.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Hi

My wife and I have been to trips to London, Paris, Rome and Venice and I guess there are bad and god neighbourhoods. But all in all we haven't run into any problems in these cities and I guess you should just take normal measures so avoid getting into trouble. I have posted trip reports with pictures and links from the different places on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there.

You can get by even if you don't speak Italian or French by the way. And getting around in the cities is pretty simple...the metro in Paris is amazing

Get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:33 PM

Summer_rain, if you've made solo trips to the places you have mentioned, you've already been in areas of greater danger than you are likely to encounter in western Europe, so long as you exercise reasonable judgment.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:43 PM

My daughter has been traveling alone for years, she will be 30 in two weeks. She went to Berlin a couple of years ago, stayed with a friend for a few days and then she took the train to Prague. Staying at the hostle she hung out with a few others her age. Going to
New Orleans with a friend she volunteered to be bumped during a layover, ended up going by way of Houston where she was put up for the night. Out of that deal she got a free ticket and having never been to the Pacific NW she chose to go there, again on her own but now has friends she met there at the hostel. In fact she ran into an old friend met in camp in MA.
Small world.

She is also petite, blonde, attractive. She keeps her wits about her and is very obstinate, doesn't take crap from anyone (has been that way since birth!!)
She leaves in 2 weeks going back out to the Pacific NW, a friend was to go with her but can't so she decided to go anyway.
Next winter she is going to Italy for a month. She wants me to meet her for a week, otherwise she will be traveling alone.

So, just keep your eyes open, meet new people and enjoy!
Samething 3 years ago, flying to
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM

I've done all of those solo (younger but male), except Madrid, and it was no problem. I have heard from a friend who studied in Madrid that English is not particularly widely spoken there, but in all the rest, it's no problem (though it is nice to at least learn basic pleasantries in the foreign language).

London and Paris have very extensive public transport systems that can be kind of confusing at first glance, but they're also extremely effective. Venice and Rome are small enough you can walk most places, and the public transport is relatively simple (Vaporettos in Venice, not all that many lines, and the Metro in Rome, only 2 lines, though there are buses, but I didn't really need them, it's just not all that big, walking from the Vatican to the train station is about the furthest walk, and, while it's a ways, it's not that bad and there's lots on the way).

Depends how late. I've only been out really late in London, and, once the tube stops running (around midnight, 1 or 1:30 on Friday & Saturday nights), you have to use night buses, which can be, err, interesting. Like any major city, it's not a great idea to be out late alone.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:40 AM
ira

Hi SR,

You will be fine. You will find that most of the service staff speak reasonably good English.

Public transportation is reasonably user friendly.

If you stay in the well-frequented areas of town and get home by midnght you should be very safe.

I think that you have one too many cities for 4 weeks.

Check www.whichbudget.com for cheap airfare between Paris/Venice and Rome/Madrid.

The cheapest way to take the Eurostar between London and Paris is to buy a one-day RT ticket.

Train schedules, price and tickets between Italian cities are at www.trenitalia.com.

Have a great visit.

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Ashlynn

Hi,

I have visited all of the cities you have mentioned as a young female solo traveller and have never had any major problems. I was 18 when I visted these cities and never felt particularly unsafe. There have been a few incidents involving some unwanted male attention, but in my experience that has been more annoying than threatening, and a firm no usually does the trick. Basically, just use common sense and you should be fine. The language barrier shouldn't be a big problem and figuring out the public transportation is really simple. You should also check out the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree as it caters more to backpackers.

Have a great trip!

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hi summer_rain, Sorry to sa but if you got lost in NY you can get lost in Europe. Things happen.

Most places someone will speak English, but certainly not everyone. Likely at a train station, less so at a restaurant. It's not reasonable to think you can learn French, Italian, and Spanish for your trip, so just do the best you can. The one phrase I do learn fluently in each language is "I'm sorry I don't speak xxx".

If you are still worried I might suggest a slightly different list of cities: London, Amsterdam, Paris, Venice (leaving off Rome and Madrid which I believe would be the more intimidating and logistically challenging on your list).

When I travel solo in a city, I don't go out alone late at night or take public tranportation. I stick fairly close to my hotel and would use a taxi, if needed. Whether you will feel safe or not, is impossible for us to tell you.

As already suggested, please do read over on The Thorn Tree, at Lonely Planet's website. There are many more posters there your age and traveling style (hostels, etc.).
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Summer is high season so I would book hostels in advance. You can read up on the hostels to find out if they are party hostels or what.

www.hostelz.com, www.bugeurope.com or www.bookhostels.com

Go for it. Pack really light. Smile and you will have a great time.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Anyone looking for an overview of European travel, especially train travel may find lots of free info at:
www.ricksteves.com - lots about trains and railpasses and a listing of cheap flight operators -- www.budgeteuropetravel.com - request their free European Planning & Rail Guide - loaded with tips on packing, changing money, accommodations, etc. as well as a great primer on the European train system - rail maps and itinerary planning for each country --- www.euraide.com - another site that specializes in European trains. And don't forget www.raileurope.com for general train info and a fare chart to compare to railpass prices.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM

1) Some do and some don;t. At bigger attractions, major hotels and restaurants staff will speak at least some english. If you are in local neighborhoods and small stores - or supermarkets etc - it's less likely.

2)Navigating public transport is easy - you don;t need much more than to understand the system and know the names of the places you're going.

3) If you will be safe or not depends on the neighborhood. All cities have areas that are less safe. You need to make sure your hotels or hostels (although budget) are in safe neighborhoods.

Agree with the idea to make friends with others at the hostels and hotels with whom you can do things and go out at night. If you go out at night alone you need to make sure to use full city smarts. If you 're not sure you have them - and anyone 28 - or even 18 -should - polish them up.

Also- before you go learn at least the tourist basics of each language - there's no reason it should take more than an hour or two per country.

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I congratulate summer_rain on not mentioning her hair colour, but why is that when hair colour is mentioned it's always "blonde"?
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Another couple hostel websites: hostelworld.com (has pretty much all of them that can be booked on the internet, but $2 booking fee) and hostelbooker.com (doesn't have quite as many hostels, and reviews are less useful, but no booking fee)
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses! I actually plan to go during October. I will study the languages, and plan carefully to put myself more at ease.

P.S. I only mentioned my age, gender and body type because I think it may make me look like an easier target.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM

What makes you an easy target is thinking and acting like a target.

What makes you safe is knowing what you're doing and being obviously organized, oriented and assertive. Also - not doing obviously stupid things - like drinking a lot, and believing or doing drugs with strangers.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think that things like showing confusion or disorientation, carrying more luggage than you can easily handle, would more likely make you a target then gender, size or age alone.

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM
yk

summer_rain-

You've got some great advice so far.

I am female and have done many solo trips in Europe since the age of 20.

The cities you're planning to visit are very safe, just use common sense.

It's not uncommon to get lost, esp in cities where English is not the first language. Most locals are friendly and willing to help. It's unlikely you'll end up in bad areas if you stick to the main tourist spots.

As a young woman, you will most definitely get unwanted attention from men. I've had my share, and apart from just being a nuisance, they're just a nuisance. I never felt threatened. Just ignore them and keep walking.

I always make sure I know how to say:
HELP!
Police!
Go Away!
in the language of the country I'm in.
Fortunately, I have yet to use any of them.