Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Young attractive 19 yr old in Rome alone? Hotels in the Pontine Islands?

Notices

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 09:47 AM
Rachel

I'm keeping it real here. I'll be going to Rome, Terni and the Pontine Island in June-july. I can't avoid it, it's for an art class. I'll be in the Pontine Islands and Rome alone and I'm a young hispanic woman. Give me advice on anything I should be aware of besides wearing iron underwear. I'm also looking for a Hotel room in the city of Ponza on the Pontine Islands. Any suggestions? It has to have a private bathroom and great views of the sea.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 06:19 PM
Curious

Just wondering what people would have responded to you, Rachel, if you had titled your question "Young, unattractive 19 yr old in Rome alone?" Would we have respond any differently? Would we be any more or less concerned for your welfare? What does it mean to "keep it real?" Do tell.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 06:50 PM
xxx

Oh please, get over yourself Rachel.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 07:07 PM
lumpy

i only offer advice to homely people over 21. my condolences, though, on being forced to go to europe. life is often unkind to the young and attractive.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 08:01 PM
Santa Chiara

In Rome and on the islands, you will only be one among dozens of drop-dead gorgeous Italians. I doubt you will have any problems.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 11:11 PM
Florence

Also, iron underwear will get you in trouble in airports (metal detectors). Aluminium is best !

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I have to disagree with Florence. I was recently stopped at security at JFK because of my J. Crew aluminum boxers and throughly strip-searched. And they did not return the boxers. Had to fly sans undergarments.

They may be fashionable, but they're not worth it.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 05:59 AM
DonJuan

Helluva troll, "dafoxx". Nobody is dumb enough and egotistical enough to post a real message like that, though.

Shame you have such a lack of self-worth. Pitiful.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 06:46 AM
Florence

Oh dear ! does it means I'll have to change all my garderobe next time I visit the US ?

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 07:54 AM
xxx

Though I agree that this one's not too likely to be "real" WHAT IF this really is a 19-year-old, a little offensively cocky on the surface, but basically ... who knows what? Would you 40-to-70-year-olds REALLY want to ridicule her quite this harshly? Is it really worth taking a chance that all these people that you enjoy tearing apart are fictitious characters?

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 08:01 AM
frank

xxx- You are far too kind.
This is a message board, not an amateur psychology session.
If genuine the poster has to learn the old adage:
ask a cheeky question, get a cheeky answer.
19 is not too young to learn!

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 09:32 AM
joao

Hi Rachel
Why don't you mail your picture. This way we could better evaluate how safe you'll be in Italy.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 09:59 AM
elvira

I'd rather see a picture of her iron underwear.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 11:51 AM
rand

Being a guy, I'd like a picture of her modeling her iron underwear. (sorry, it's friday afternoon)

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 11:58 AM
wonder

How about a picture of Elvira wearing a tiara and modeling the iron underwear??

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 12:07 PM
elvira

Can't do you the favor; iron makes me sneeze and I can barely breath. If someone wears iron underwear in a "no-iron" section of a restaurant, I know it, and I ask the maitre d' to ask them to take it off.

Whenever I shop for sheets, I have to find the ones marked "no iron" or I can't get a wink of sleep.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Patrick

Oh, Elvira, you are the master (or mistress) of iron-y.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 04:42 PM
Cindy

Oh, you guys. You are being way too hard on poor Rachel. I, too, am totally hot and babe-a-licious, and it is a real burden at times.

Rachel, listen to me. Whatever you do, keep you head down. Don't even make eye contact with people, especially with the hunks at airport security. They run a little-known scam of detaining pretty young things like yourself for the alleged purpose of patting them down. At least, that's what they told me.

Hope this helps.