Reload this Page >

You favorite Italy Souvenirs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Violetta

Hi everyone, <BR>I will be travelling to Italy soon, specifically, the Tuscany region, and would like some ideas on souvenirs to buy for myself and for friends and family. Does anyone have any favorites? What are some of the best souvenirs from that region? <BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Carey

Pottery, Vino!!!!, balsamic vinegar. <BR> <BR>I would say Wine is you best bet, but beautiful ceramics can be had all over the area. <BR> <BR>Carey

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Hmmm

...Roberto...

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Brian in Atlanta

How'd you get Roberto through customs? Did you have to pay a duty? <BR> <BR>I've got 3 bottles of Cinque Terre wine in my cellar waiting for a warm summer afternoon when we want to relive that fantastic trip. <BR> <BR>If I didn't drink wine, or didn't want to lug a lot of weight back, I'd opt for good, fresh olive oil and a couple bottles of very good balsamic vinegar. Nothing better to go on those summer tomatoes.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Marilyn Ham

If you're going to Florence we like to shop at the central market for leather items--gloves, belts, hats, etc., or buy silk items like scarves or ties. Marilyn

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:04 PM
wendy

I'm with those other foodies.... <BR> <BR>The BEST souvenirs that I brought back made me pray for an hour BEFORE I got to customs! <BR> <BR>Dried porcini, Modena Balsamic Vinegar, Formaggio (Ricoota, P/R), Prosciutto (speck too!) fava beans, honey, olive oils that were pressed from our freshly picked olives, wines from Orvieto and Montepulciano, olives, herbs, and (ssshhh a black diamond!)etc...... thank goodness I made it through. <BR> <BR>I even bought some great kitchen utensils and ceramiche salad bowl, coasters, oil and vinegar servers, wine toppers and plates.... <BR> <BR>So as I stir my creamy risotto in the kitchen using my smuggled goods, I smile... it is like reliving the memories and I pause between recipe directions to reflect on GREAT experiences still fresh in my mind...being recreated in my kitchen, served to good friends.....all the while remembering new friends I left in Italy!...Til' next time....

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:17 PM
sandi

Wendy, <BR> <BR>No wonder all the good stuff was gone when I went!! Actually, to add to most of her list, while in Assisi (although in Umbria) we bought small jars of green and black olive and mushroom pate. We love to serve crostini (sp?) before the pasta (which is served on the beautiful platters we brought back).

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Celeste

Wow, what a hungry crowd! I always bring back an alabaster statue, usually of a horse or horses.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 03:24 PM
kam

Pottery!!!! For those of you bringing back wine, note that not all Italian wines will withstand the test of time. Be careful that you don't open a lovely (and heavy) bottle of vinegar in the future. But, if you do find vinegar, put it on your salad and enjoy. Linens are great and of course, leather.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Jeanette

This time I brought back some limoncello for my grown kids and (large amount) vaccuum packed parmesan cheese- which was the biggest hit of all. This time I did not buy leather goods, but did find some very good olive oil and some large sacks of a pink risotto that I just loved. We hit a Malpensa airport strike so I left my beloved bottles of vino russo with the last hosts. I couldn't pack them and have absolutely no clothes with me on my carry-on, since I didn't know when we would actually be leaving. Oh well, I'll just have to go back. Buon Viaggio!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 03:32 PM
wendy

S- <BR> <BR>Oh yes! I had to leve the crostini toast toppers behind...I envy you! <BR> <BR>C- <BR>My wine NEVER had a chance...gone within 2 days... <BR> <BR>I think 'grocery' items make wonderful souvenirs, and meeting the people that make and sell them are a real treasure too!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Bob

Pottery: We found a great little shop in Siena where the lady was working on the pieces. They looked even better when we got them home. <BR> <BR>Vinegar: Almost running out of some great stuff. Have to go back. <BR> <BR>Leather: Try the leather school in the Santa Croce Church in Florence (where Michaelango is buried). It is located in the right rear of the famous church as you enter. Good stuff, nice people and they will put gold initials on anything for free if asked. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Kathleen

Beautiful paper products are widely available and pack very easily.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Betsy

I know you're going to Tuscany. And yes, you want to get all the above recommendations. But my favorite souvenir from Italy? My Pope snowglobe. Cheap and quite a conversation piece!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Jim

Calendars, Leather coin purses (or wallets) from Firenze, art pens (see Ufizzi gallery shop), leather portfolios (w/paper pad), art key chains, soccer stuff for any little ones (make sure it has only italian words to inspire the kids to be curious).

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Kay

I found out about this idea from the <BR>Fodors boards two years ago. There are <BR>wonderful handpainted ceramic wine stoppers available in some areas of Tuscany. We were most successful in Greve in the main shopping area. These <BR>are easily packed and make a great gift <BR>accompanied by a bottle of Italian wine. Happy shopping!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Thomas

Hi. <BR> <BR>I must take issue with Betsy's 3-27 recommendation for a Pope snowglobe; sounds unspeakably tacky and wholly without useful function. When at the Vatican I bought a whole fistful of Pope bottle openers for about a buck each. Now THAT'S what I call a souvenir! A profile of Pope John Paul George & Ringo on one side and a lovely relief of St. Pete's on the other. AND it actually opens bottles! See? Tasteful, small, cheap and functional. After 2000 years the Church continues to provide to those in need. <BR> <BR>By the way, don't be tempted to try to bring home one of those achingly beautiful blown glass bottles of grappa. IT WILL NOT SURVIVE THE TRIP!...no matter how carefully you pack! (...particularly when it could smash up against your Pope bottle openers.) <BR> <BR>You're welcome. <BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Eva

Speaking of snow globes, did anyone try to find one like Sandra Bullock had in While You Were Sleeping? It was a globe of Florence....or was it just me? I quite enjoyed the prints that are sold on a lot of the street corners. Not the ones of the great masterpieces in the Uffizi, but the drawings of the city. I got a couple of great black and white drawings and framed them myself. They look priceless and are so to me.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 08:24 AM
carrie

The absolute best place to purchase ceramics is in Radda in Chianti at Ceramiche Rampini, located just outside the town at the bottom of a hill (I'm certain you can get directions from anyone in town -- as a point of reference, if you've ever traveled to Radda, you may have noticed a spectacular estate/hotel high on a hillside above Radda. Well, Ceramicke Rampini is located on that side of town, way at the bottom of that hill.) From the outside, it doesn't look like much (in fact more like a hole in the wall), but once inside, ohmygosh! The artistry, technique, glazing, and colors are the best. Yes, they do ship your pieces home. I understand that some tour buses have "discovered" this place recently and now make stops there. I've also heard (but have never seen) that pieces are now being exported to the US to some NYC shops. I wish I knew where, bc I would like more! <BR> <BR>If you are looking for terracotta, go to the town of Impruneta (not too far south of Florence). Also the best quality. Most shops there also ship.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Violetta

Thanks for all the great advice. <BR>I can't wait to shop!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -