Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   You Can Teach Old Bloggers New Tricks: MaiTai's Europe 2003 trip with Pictures (Finally) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/you-can-teach-old-bloggers-new-tricks-maitais-europe-2003-trip-with-pictures-finally-540992/)

maitaitom Jul 1st, 2005 12:50 PM

You Can Teach Old Bloggers New Tricks: MaiTai's Europe 2003 trip with Pictures (Finally)

Hey, it only took 21 months to figure out how to get a blog site. Below is the cut and paste link to the Tracy/Tom Sept. 2003 Trip to Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.typepad.com/travels/

(takes about 30-40 seconds for all the photos to load)

It took me 21 months te get rid of all the typos. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures and commentary (for those who missed it).

Still working on perfecting the site for future blogs of our upcoming Italy trip, restaurant reviews from everywhere and other musings. Hope all of you have a great Fourth of July weekend, and to our friends from other countries, just have a great weekend.
((H))

Jocelyn_P Jul 1st, 2005 01:08 PM

Hi Tom!

I haven't read through it all yet, but I wanted to be the first to say thank you for sharing your travel experiences with all of us. I need some cheering up today and I'm confident your site will do just that. At first glance your photos are gorgeous!

Best wishes to you and Tracy.

swandav2000 Jul 1st, 2005 01:08 PM

Grrrrrrreat pictures! Guess which ones I liked best? Villeneuve looks very neat -- in fact, I'm planning to stay there in Sept as a change from Montreux.

Thanks!

s

Scarlett Jul 1st, 2005 01:11 PM

Thank you very much Tom!!
We need this for the weekend when we want to break up the packing with the dreaming of Italy :)

maitaitom Jul 1st, 2005 01:14 PM

Thanks Jocelyn. Of course the most beautiful pictures are the ones with Tracy in them (look for the dreaded sandwich-thieving cow coming up behind her in one of them). Yes, hopefully the humor wil start your Fourth of July on a fun note.

Swandav, I thought you might like those Switzerland pictures. Have a wonderful trip. Chillon Castle is still one of my Europe favs.
((H))

FainaAgain Jul 1st, 2005 01:22 PM

Thank you, Tom, as Switzerland is the only country I've been to so far, I re-lived those wonderful days looking at the pictures, some places even recognized :)

Is there a plague on that rock where you fell, or is that rock is named now? "Fallen Tom"? "Tipped MaiTai"?

mermaid_ Jul 1st, 2005 01:40 PM

"All good things happen to those who wait."

Including a mess of good reading! Who cares if it took you almost two years to get this out, Tom, it's wonderful. I'm glad you took the time to write it.

Had to laugh at "the look." My husband got lots of those in Sept. 2003 as well, when we were in Italy. Must have been one of those years. :d

maitaitom Jul 1st, 2005 02:53 PM

"Had to laugh at "the look."

It can be a scary thing for any husband.
((H))

mermaid_ Jul 1st, 2005 03:11 PM

I knew there was a reason you always have those sunglasses on. 8-|

Barb Jul 1st, 2005 03:55 PM

Believe it or not, I have printed this whole blog out so I will have some good reading this weekend - it looks FABULOUS!! Worth the wait.

Scarlett Jul 1st, 2005 05:21 PM

I am enjoying this so much! I had to tell you though that I get this disease {common trans-Atlantic disease; jet lag narcolepsy} every trip around 2 in the afternoon. There is no cure but sleep.
Tell Tracey that I too would have been looking for another husband LOL
Thanks for posting this, I love it..oh and the Swan is so beautiful!

DeeDee Jul 1st, 2005 07:59 PM

You have a way with words! Very enjoyable, excellent photos! Enjoyed seeing the Mosel and Grindelwald, which we visited 3 weeks ago for the first time.

SuzieC Jul 2nd, 2005 04:29 AM

I laughed, I cried and now "Country Rods" is illing around my head

I LOVE the way you put this together...I can appreciate all your work because I imagine you and Tracy actually have other things to do! Anyway, thank you.

Scarlett Jul 2nd, 2005 06:46 AM

LOL, All that linking arms and singing :D

Bailey Jul 2nd, 2005 07:39 AM

It is a wonderful read....I read it in three different sittings...with a notebook!!
We're planning a similar trip for next spring!!
Many thanks for all the hard work!!

degas Jul 2nd, 2005 07:43 AM

Tom, you have a superb site. The pictures and narrative were wonderful. And I liked your very creative idea of inserting shots of that lovely lady with the great smile every so often.

maitaitom Jul 2nd, 2005 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone.

Bailey, I will try to provide some links to hotels and sites, but I'm still figuring out different nuances of blogging (I can be a slow learner).

Degas, Thanks. I thought people should get some glimpses of my number one navigator to see that I'm a lucky guy. By the way, did you ever get to Umbria in the Spring?
((H))

Statia Jul 4th, 2005 08:01 AM

Beautifully done, Tom. I'm jealous! :)

Bailey Jul 4th, 2005 08:44 AM

Tom,
Your report is so wonderful....and I found the links to many of the hotels/inns.........it will be very helpful for planning our trip!!
The first part of our itinerary will be identical to yours......but after the Lake district we are heading north to the Dolomites....Hotel Uhrerhof.
It's a lovely place in the Mountains, outside Ortisei. We keep returning to this magical place.
I'll follow up with a link!
Happy 4th!!

Bailey Jul 4th, 2005 08:45 AM

Tom here is the link:
Hotel Uhrerhof

www.uhrerhof.com