Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yorkshire Inn/Hotel/B&B with air conditioning?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a nice inn (hotel, B&B) in small-town Yorkshire with air conditioning? We are travelling to England for 2 weeks this summer (last week of July, first week of August) and I'm looking for nice accommodations with air conditioning for my family of 4. My husband has health conditions that worsen with heat, so I really am working hard to find lodging with air conditioning. We would have a car for these 3 days in Yorkshire (thanks to Fodorites convincing me to be brave and do a car rental!!) and ideally I would like to be in a "cute town" in or near the Yorkshire Dales. (But I would be willing to consider other rural areas... we love walking, good food, exploring ruins, beautiful scenery....)

The rest of our trip will be using public transportation while staying in London (arrival city), York and Manchester (departure city).

Thank you for any ideas, advice!!

--DJ
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 02:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen a B&B in northern England (or anywhere in England for that matter) that has a/c.

It would be quite unusual to need a/c -- though a couple of years ago I was in the Dales on what was probably the hottest day for a decade. Still didn't need a/c in the evening/early morning which is the only time one would be in the room.

Even with health issues a/c very likely wouldn't be necessary. If it is a life threatening situation where a/c is mandatory, you will be better off staying in cities in modern chain-type hotels which would be air conditioned.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 11:02 PM

I live in the Ddales and am racking my brains as to whether I have seen anywhere other than a large Hotel that has A/C. It's just not required up here!
Yes, we do have warm, even hot days, but it usually cools off at night. I've seen electric fans in rooms, but that's all.
I can suggest any number of nice places for you to stay in the Dales I live in Wensleydale) but sorry, can't help with the A/C part.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 11:33 PM

Apologies for spelling error about re 'Dales'!
Do get back to me if you decide to forego the A/C. It really, really isn't required up here but I do understand your worries.
More than happy to give you a list of lovely small B&Bs without A/C but I should warn you that 'cute' isn't a good term to use up here!
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 11:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Struggling to think of any, you are just going to have dig in with google

12C this morning BTW
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 11:44 PM

I'm not sure "large hotels" are the answer anyway.

I've been in York a/c hotels a couple of times when it was - by our standards - a bit hot. Because we don't really need a/c, the technology was ropey, but you still couldn't open the windows. As a result the room was more uncomfortable than a normal room with a working window would be. And on one occasion, the breakfast room was downright tropical: all those people, the miles of hotplates for eggs to turn solid on and poorly managed crowds.

York's bigger hotels on Sunday mornings in stag and hen season (which is pretty much every weekend, every year) aren't exactly tranquil rural outposts. I've been in quieter (and cooler) London rush hour tube trains.

On the other hand, (and I loathe heat) I've never been uncomfortable in a Yorkshire room air-conditioned the way God intended: by opening the window.

From the poster's vocabulary, she's American. She should understand our definition of "hot weather" covers roughly most Americans' definition of "chilly". And Yorkshire's at least a sweater - and often an overcoat - colder than most of England.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 12:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The very fact that those of us who live in the area don't know of a small place with A/C, tells you all you need to know about whether it's needed. The larger modern hotels are built with a version that may or may not work efficiently, but it's hardly needed in the northern UK. Last week of July and the first of August could be hot, but it's more likely to be warm and wet.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forgot to say, if you need any help with your Manchester stay, just ask.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 12:55 AM

If I were abetting man, I'd say the dfw in the name is for Dallas Fort Worth. The OP is definitely American though.

I don't think you'll need AC up in Yorkshire. Booking.com lets you pick properties with ac if you feel that you really must have it but do realize that you'll be limiting yourself and missing out someplace cool.

ANYHOO, if your children are over 18 perhaps a night or two in a country pub would be fun: http://stayinapub.co.uk
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 01:45 AM

I really think you just need to pick a hotel in a cute town - somewhere like Leyburn or Hemsley (more moors than Dales, but lovely) or Masham and just open the windows.

The very concept of air conditioning in Yorkshire, even in August, will make the average Yorkshire person laugh.

It's glorious country with wonderful air, so open those windows and breathe in deeply. Listen to the birdsong.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 03:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
laughing, must be average ;-)
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 04:07 AM

Well, I have laughed too!
However..........we do a lot of road trips in the USA. I couldn't care less if we aren't wearing the 'right' shoes or jackets or some of the things others seem to stress about.
What I DO worry about is that one of us should become ill whilst abroad. No reason it should happen but equally I'd take any advance measures I could to avoid it, and therefore I understand the OP's concern.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 02:40 PM

I didn't bother looking for a hotel with a/c in Dublin in September a few years ago. Advice was not to worry, we wouldn't need it.

Well, we did. We had the bad luck, for us anyhow, to land during a heat wave. The temperature in our hotel room cooled to a breezy 89.5 during the nights. The windows opened only about 6", so no air circulation.

We were lucky because our room was in the back in the shade, folks who had the rooms with the view, also got the afternoon sun.

We also were in London during the heat wave of, 2013, I believe. Again no a/c, for a week. Yup, I'm a slow learner.

Anecdotal stories are just that, and may bear no resemblance to what you experience, but heat waves do happen, and if it's important to your husbands health, I wouldn't discount the possibilities or the ramifications.

Have you checked the weather history, just to give you an idea? Not that that will predict the future, but it might ease your mind a bit.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 03:49 PM

>>and if it's important to your husbands health, I wouldn't discount the possibilities <<

That is why I said IF a/c is a 'must' they should visit cities and stay in chain-type hotels (Marriotts, Hiltons etc) -- they are options for a/c in cities like London and Dublin, even possibly in York in a modern/business hotel.

But the OP is asking about an inn/B&B in the Yorkshire Dales or other rural/scenic area -- where a/c simply won't be an option . . .
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 04:08 PM

janisj, I wasn't disagreeing or arguing with you, or anyone else for that matter, just adding my limited personal experience, fwiw, to the OP.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 05:01 PM

It is highly unlikely that you will find any accommodation in Yorkshire with air conditioning even in the city of York. I have stayed at both Dean's Court and Hotel Bistro du Vin which are among the top offerings in York and no air conditioning. Have never needed it either. Yes, there can be, on rather rare occasions, a heat wave, but you are far more likely to incur rainy and/ or cool weather.

My suggestion would be to tell them of your situation and requirements and request a quiet room with windows and the possibility of a fan if necessary. More than likely you won't need it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 05:31 PM

Sorry. I just checked and the Hotel Bistro du Vin in York does have air conditioning. Didn't remember because we didn't need it. There's still little possibility that a B&B, Inn or small hotel will have it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 05:34 PM

I fully get the need for AC - no matter where you are. Have learned after an 85 day in London in June - humid and broiling in a hotel room with windows that opened only a few inches - that YES - you do need AC.

So now I never stay in a hotel without AC - no matter the city - unless there is literally no hotel with AC (real american AC, not faux european "air cooling") - I need a temp below 70 in order to sleep - and fans do nothing.

And yes, we have had our AC on in New York for several weeks (since our apartment is in the sun all day and ends up 10 degrees higher than outside - so 72 outside is 82 inside). Don;t anticipate we will turn off until October.

Our solution is not to travel to europe in summer - we stick to the Hamptons then - with cool sea breezes supplemented by LOTS of AC.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 06:17 PM

Oh good heavens. I've been traveling to Europe for some 30 years and have lived in Australia, South Africa and England where we never had a/c. Can't remember missing it either except for a couple of occasions in 7 years. One can, in most cases, do just fine without air conditioning. I will admit to a couple of warm nights in London, but I managed. Europeans cope very well without it while at the same time Americans cringe at the thought of being in a room without the thermostat set at 70 degrees. I fully understand the OP's medical needs and agree it is important, but will also say that having lived abroad, I often find Americans a bit wimpish. Okay now you can go ahead and criticize me.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 07:07 PM

>> just adding my limited personal experience, fwiw, to the OP.<<

Which is totally irrelevant to the OP since they are traveling to places that <u>do NOT have a/c</u> full stop.

>So now I never stay in a hotel without AC - no matter the city -<><

Then you won't see any of the glorious bits of rural England, Scotland, Ireland.

>> I often find Americans a bit wimpish. <<

Embarrassingly wimpish

But once again (and we may have lost the OP - hopefully not) IF it is medically mandated -- then definitely book a modern hotel . . . but it 1) won't be in the Dales or or Moors, and 2) won't be forced air/freezing like you may be expecting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -