York UK Day trips without a car

Mar 31st, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

York UK Day trips without a car

My husband and I are staying 7 nights in York. We are looking to travel around York either by public transportation or a coach tour company. I thought it would be nice to take a trip to the coast, and perhaps a trip to the dales, or moors (I think there is a steam train somewhere in that area). I'm using York as a base so we don't have to change rooms so much. But some day trips would be great. Does anyone have suggestions of what might be nice to see, or any companies in York that do those kind of trips. Any websites for public busses.

We are staying 6 nights in Bath and then we wanted to stay 4 nights in Edinburgh after we leave York.

Thank you very much
Apr 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM

Is there a reason you don't want a car? You don't need one in the city of York itself. But for touring around elsewhere, a car would be a HUGE advantage. There are buses and trains -- but they are not that efficient for sightseeing. They aren't necessarily geared to tourists, but more for commuters, school kids, local shoppers. One short-ish loop drive visiting several abbeys, castles and gardens that would be easy in one day would be impossible by public transport. In many rural areas, the buses are infrequent so planning day trips is difficult.

there is a Fodorite - Morgana - who lives in the area and maybe she can give you specific bus/train touring options.
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:15 AM

Well worth searching on Morgana as her advice is great.

There are two possible steam trips, the North York Moor railway (leaves from about 15 miles north of York (the evening do is the best (food included) and may already be booked up (surf internet)but the day trip is ok

There are also trips from Keighly but to get there you need a train into Leeds and then one into Keighly.

The obvious trip to Fountains abbey can be done in the summer by bus (into Ripon I guess) surf out the Bus station in York.

The train into Leeds gives you a few opportunities (Leeds itself, the Henry Moore Gallery and the Armories (Tower of london overflow with jousting and walking exhibits, really good). You can also take the train from there to Shipley and Saltaire (world heritage site) with Hockney exhibition. Tarin alos to Howarth and the Bronte binge.

Hull has an aquarium but other than that is a bit of a dump (Germans followed by town planners). East coast of Yorkshire is a bit dull with the notable exception of Robin Hoods bay which is cute (no other word for it and I'm British).

York itself can fill up a day or two.

If you do hire a car make sure your hotel can accomodate it somewhere as the old city has little space
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM

http://www.visityork.org/information/
http://www.york.gov.uk/visiting/

I guess you know about these.
York is in North Yorkshire and you will find that has a tourist site as does South, East and West
Apr 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM

My heart always sinks when I read a post like this. It MAY be possible to do certain trips by public transport but the time and hassle involved is immense. You could do so, so much more with a car, and believe me there is so much to see up here that I could keep you occupied for a month. Is a car really out of the question?
No need for a car in the city of York itself - it is compact and pretty pedestrian friendly.
I would also recommend a train trip to Durham.
www.durhamtourism.co.uk/home.html
I would love to recommend you visit Staithes, and Robin Hood's Bay, Rievualx, Jervaulx, etc etc and a trip around the Dales or the Moors - but I would not try any of these on public transport. Most don't have any!
You used to be able to get to Castle Howard by coach in the summer but the website seems to indicate that this is no longer the case, with the coach just going to Malton.
Apr 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM

Car drivers generally know nothing about public transport - they presumably don't want to.
There are lots of places that can easily be reached from York by train and bus. For example, you can take a train to Scarborough then use the bus which goes along the coast every hour via Robin Hood's Bay to Whitby.
Most connections are on www.transportdirect.info
Apr 1st, 2009, 06:35 AM

Geoff you may be right but this site is pretty hard to use. Just tried york to fountains and got bored of arguing with it.

Isthere not a government site doing the same thing?
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM

There are some details of buses on www.fountainsabbey.org.uk.
Transport Direct is a government site. Another one is Traveline, www.traveline.org.uk
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM

Actually Geoff I use public transport every day to get to work (usually bus but sometimes the train).
But for visitors wanting to explore what is often a very rural area?? I'm sorry, but it's a car every time - for practical reasons if nothing else.
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:33 AM

Why claim that there's no way of getting to Robin Hood's Bay when there's an hourly bus from Scarborough or Whitby? The local buses are great for seeing the scenery, for one-way walks (take a bus from A to B, walk to C, then take bus back to A) and for visiting country pubs, amongst other reasons.
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM

I have never said there is no public transport to RHB,
I've just pointed out the difficulties with logistics and relying on what is often a very poor public transport network often not designed with the tourist in mind! Anyway, we can agree to differ, we have given the OP both sides of the coin and they can now hopefully make an informed decision.
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:48 AM

You can work out travel times by having a look at the bus schedules on www.coastliner.co.uk. I don't dispute you can get almost anywhere by bus; it's up to you if the time involved is worth it.

For us, driving the backroads to Castle Howard, to small villages and small NH properties, over the moors, along the coast, etc. was a big part of our holiday. We stayed in a very small village outside Helmsley. There was bus service, but as Janis pointed out, the schedule was primarily geared to commuters and school children.

Driving is not nearly as intense as in highly-populated areas in the south of England.

However you decide to get there, try not to miss the North Yorkshire Moors Railway which runs from Pickering (28 miles from York) to the coast. We thought it was a great excursion. www.nymr.co.uk
Apr 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM

For the past several years I have explored Britain by public transportation. In York I have taken the Coastliner bus to Whitby. Extremely easy and good value. I also did the bus to Eden Camp, outside of Malton. Did Scarborough by train, did Leeds by train, did Shildon by train. Just a few trips you can do. And this was in the middle of Winter. There are more trips available during the summer months. Sure a car will get you to more places, faster as well, however, you can do a lot by public transportation.
Apr 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM

I based in York once and did day trips to:

Harrogate (gateway to the Dales) a nice old spa town

Whitby - first taking a bus to some town from which the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (not sure of exact name) but a tourist steam train thru the moors to a station that is on the side rail line to Whitby - then i took a scenic bus ride along the coast to Scarborough (this is also a really nice walk though a long one) then bus back to York. Scarborough was very interesting - a faded resort with lots of Victorian detritus.

And yes easy to take a train to Keighley ("Keith-ly i think) and then either another tourist steam train up to Haworth - for the Bronte sisters moors area - really weird moors you can walk thru and Haworth is a nice stone town with parish church where Bronte's pop was minister i think. Buses also go from Keighley to Haworth

And yes two fine abbeys - Rivaux (sp?) which i did not go to and Fountains Abbey - an incredibly romantic setting but rather hard to reach by public transit - lots of buses from Harrogate to Ripon - a sweet market town but, at least when i went, only a once weekly bus to the remote abbey ruins - but i did walk there along a stream and thru forests and thru Studely whatever - but you obviously can take a cab.

There are many day trips easily done by public transport from York - no need to rent a car IMO
Apr 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all you input. Didn't realize it would cause a big discussion. The reason for not taking a car is first, I am not very comfortable driving. Especially when the car as a wheel on the right and you have to drive on the left. I'm used to driving the other way around. Even so, I don't feel comfortable driving in areas I'm not familiar with. In the past, my husband used to drive in England (we did this twice) and I always managed to get a few grey hairs everytime. My husband has Alzheimer's and can't drive anymore. Even if I rented a car and tried myself, I might have to deal with discussions on why he shouldn't be driving. So, that is the reason. I am very grateful for the suggestions and will explore the ones by public transportation. Are there any escroted bus tours that leave from York?
Apr 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM

OK - no one said there was NO public transport. But it simply is not efficient. One can get to Whitby - sure. But between York and Whitby there are dozens of places one could explore if they could jump out of the car for a few minutes or longer or take short detours.

One is tied to infrequent bus schedules - once every hour or two means you can't dare to miss a bus or you could be stranded. It is very easy to travel from point to point on buses/trains. It is NOT easy to tour rural areas that way.

So for most places, one would take a bus out to xyz site, walk around for an hour or two, have to catch the next bus back to York. That's the sum total of the day. Most places (but not all) the schedules simply don't allow for hopping from place to place on the buses.

(And rogeruktm - you must admit you are a "special case" since you've traveled all over the UK but train and know the ins/outs/limitations like the back of your hand. You go where the trains can deliver you - not necessarily where the typical/first-time visitor wants to go.)
Apr 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM

MoniIlse: I was posting the same time as you so I didn't see your post. OK - here is another option. Hire a driver for your day trips. The tourist Info Office in York can hook you up w/ a reliable driver/guide. Since you are dealing w/ some special issues, it might make the buses even more difficult. Not for your husband riding -- but for having to make tight connections.

A driver would let you get anywhere w/o having to dirve yourself.
Apr 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of hiring a driver!

Thank you
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM

Is there a reason you don't want a car?>

Janis did you read the thread title - they want info on Day Trips without a Car

that does not mean they have ruled the car out - just perhaps want to know what is possible by public transport

and IMO there is a plethora of day trips easily done by public transport - i outlined several above.

Right near York the Archbishop's Palace is a few miles west of York and you can, in season, take a nice boat ride there - another simple day trip without a car.

And IMO buses and trains are very good in this area - many folks just do not want anything to do with driving on the 'wrong side' of the road, etc. and the considerable expense for petrol and rentals - and for York you simply do not need a car for lots of sweet day trips.
Janis says "One short-ish loop drive visiting several abbeys, castles and gardens that would be easy in one day would be impossible by public transport." which is true but who wants to do a marathon tour like that where you only have a short time at each sight - and if they do, like OP said in post a 'coach tour' company would fulfill that desire without having to arrange a car rental, get driving directions, etc.

And yes pop into the York Tourist Info and they will have info on such tours - the brochure racks in your hotel lobby may also and some tours may pick you up at your hotel.

And in York itself the TIC (tourist information centre) organizes free walking tours with local trained guides - i took one and the OAP tour guide was most illuminating on various things only a native could know.
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM

"Janis did you read the thread title - they want info on Day Trips without a Car"

and PQ . . . . did you read the last exchange between MoniIlse and myself??? She has sorted things out just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO