Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

York to London via Staffs, Leics and the Fens - your suggestions ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Morgana and others who have assisted with itinerary planning for the first leg of our September journey.

Now here's the next part where we would appreciate help. We are planning to have 3 1/2 days to drive and sightsee from York back to London.

For family reasons, we would like to go via Staffordshire.

We were thinking then of going via Leicestershire to Cambridge and then spend some time in Fen country before heading back to London.

Our objective is to stay off major roads where possible. By tea-time or so, we'd like to be in a comforatble B&B or small hotels/guesthouses in a village/town or rural setting.

We'd love to have your recommendations for routes, pubs for lunch, accommodation and 'must-sees' along the way.

Many thanks to all.

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:39 PM
rex

topping...
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Hi Rex
Have just come back from my holiday in France so only just seen your questions.
I think you haven't got answers for a couple of reasons - firstly you are asking very general questions, and secondly these are areas (apart from Cambridge) that aren't on the general tourist trail.
Your trip covers drives through several largish counties and I think we need to know a bit more about your proposed route (via Leicestershire is VERY general) before we can give helpful advice.
At the risk of offending any Fenlanders, I do not really think this area counts as any sort of 'must see'. Ely Cathedral is beautiful,I love Wickham Fen, and Cambridge is great, but the Fenlands themselves are .........well........they have their own charm but unless you like driving through acres of flat, black soiled land criss crossed with drainage channels it isn't particularly inspiring. Especially if you don't know England that well and there are so many other places to see.
Have you thought about visiting Norfolk? North Norfolk is just gorgeous and has so much to offer - boating on the Broads, empty beautiful beaches, Sandringham House (Queen's residence open to the public) and other stately homes, pretty villages, castles etc. To me this is an infinitely better area to tour than "Fen country", although of course it is further to go. And then of course there is my home county of Suffolk, comlpletely different to Norfolk and again with everything to offer. It is always beyond me that the hordes go piling into the Cotswolds (which always leave me cold with all that forced Ye Olde Tea Shoppe) when Suffolk is as accessible and (in my biased opinion of course) so much nicer!
It would be easy to stay off motorways in Norfolk and Suffolk because I don't believe there are any!
Sorry if I haven't answered your specific questions. I can bore for England on Norfolk, Suffolk, and North Yorkshire (where I currently live), and I did live for a time in Cambridge, but can't really advise about the other areas you might be visiting.
M
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:38 AM

I did something similar, but in a different order and starting from Lincoln. You could do the same by going south from York, then SW from Lincoln to Southwell (cathedral), Papplewick, Eastwood (DH Lawrence), Crich, Cromford, Matlock Bath, Tissington (welldressing), Ashbourne, Uttoxeter, Stafford.
Or you could go W from York via Ripon (cathedral), Grassinmgton, Skipton, Keighley, Haworth (the Bronte sisters)Huddersfield, Holmfirth (Lsat of the Summer Wine), Glossop, Buxton (Peake District), Leek, Stone, Stafford.
From there W via Leicester, Rutland (UK's smallest county - try to see Uppingham & Rockingham), Peterborough, to Ely and the Fens.
Worth seeing nearby are St Ives, Bury St Edmunds, Lavenham, and on to London via Long Melford, Sudbury (nearby Borley has reputation for being UK's most violently haunted village), Castle Hedingham, Sible Hedingham, Finchingfield, Great Dunmow, Chipping Ongar and Chigwell.
Most of these drives are pleasant and on lesser roads. Happy tripping!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:43 AM

Sorry - the above should read E (not W) from Stafford to Leicester etc, but you probably knew that. Excuse spelling mistakes too - trying to type too fast!
A good side-trip SW of Stafford is via Newport, Sherifhales, Shifnal to Ironbridge where the world's first iron bridge was built to prove it could be done. it's still there.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

This is wonderful advice and I am so grateful. We'll be firming up plans and accommodation in the next couple of days so I will get back to you all with the final draft itinerary. Hope it passes muster !
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

This is to report (briefly) on our trip and to say a big thank you for all the advice received on this thread and others. And also a big thanks to the weather gods as it was splendid.

Here's what we did

Day 1 - arrived at Heathrow, showered and changed in the arrivals lounge and had a glass of champagne before picking up our GPS equipped rental car (note: GPS is a fun toy but maps are better).

We stopped at Ely and reacquainted ourself with the cathedral, including a long and informative chat with the 'duty vicar'. The wet T shirt statue of Mary in the Ladychapel remains quite controversial !

We drove on to Stamford and were knocked out by the golden beauty of the town and its untouristy nature. Had drinks at the beautiful George and spent the night at the Stamford Lodge (would not stay there again but for one night it was OK). Candlesticks would have been better or the George. We had an excellent Indian dinner at the Stamford Balti House, btw.

Day 2 - after more wandering around Stamford, we drove on to Grantham. We intended a short visit to St. Wulfram's, but ended up enjoying the organist's practice recital, meeting the librarian for the Sir Francis Trigge chained library. The library was closed but he opened it for us and showed us, among other rarities, their copy of the Vinegar Bible. A real treat.

After all this dallying, we headed straight on to Middleton, near Pickering, where we stayed at a very comfortable B&B called the Hawthornes. 2 Large rooms, well equipped, modern bathroooms ensuite (showers, not tubs). Definitely recommended.

Dsys 3-5 were family business, so not much tourism to report...although we did get a short walk on the moors by Horcam's Hole on our way to Goathland, of Tommy the Train fame. The heather was spectacular - a purple haze across the land.

If you are up for a bit of a splash, I can also highly recommend lunch at the Star Inn in Harome (book way in advance). Harome is a beautiful little village, complete with duck pond and friendly labradors.

Days 6-7 were spent in Suffolk and we followed a great deal of the advice given here, especially by Morgana amd Twoflower. We stayed at Northgate House B&B in Bury St. Edmund's...highly recommended.

The Abbey Gardens were in fine form, notwithstanding the late season. We wondered the cobbled streets of Bury, did a little shopping, had the obligatory pint at the Nutshell (smallest pub in England).

We had a wondeful day visiting the villages of Clare, Cavendish, Borley, Long Meaford, Lavenham, Kersey etc. The Guildhall in Lavenham took our breath awa, as did the whole town, actually.

We dined well at the Angel Hotel in Bury, the Swan in Lavenham and other spots recommended by Fodorites and family.

Then it was on to London for another week, which I will report on elsewhere.

Once again, thanks to all posters for helping to make this a memorable holiday

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM

So pleased I was able to help - and that you loved Suffolk (I was born in Bury St Eds). Suffolk still seems very much a wellkept secret, but as you found out it really is beautiful. Interested in what you thought about Borley - had you read up about all the ghost stuff before you went? Borley Rectory no longer stands, but the church is very atmospheric.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

whoops - the para re Ely is misplaced...of course we went there en route to Bury, not Stamford !
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:34 AM
WMR

I have to echo Morgana about Norfolk. We spent a couple of days there in late June. It's a beautiful area, and somewhat off the beaten path for tourists. We were actually asked a couple of times how we (American tourists) ended up there. We took the train to Norwich, rented a car and drove to and around the Broads, to the seaside at Sea Paling, etc.