Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   York or Edinburgh for 2 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/york-or-edinburgh-for-2-days-288860/)

Voyager007 Feb 14th, 2003 11:06 AM

York or Edinburgh for 2 days

From my 6 day trip of UK towards April end, I have decided to spend 4 days in London and 2 days either in Edinburgh or York. Need vote on which of the two cities should I go to. Would appreciate your vote with the reasons for it. Also, is taking train ride from London starting at 4 pm worth the ride. Meaning, would it be scenic? Or should I just take a flight?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

lscott Feb 14th, 2003 11:21 AM

Two days is not quite enough to really see Eburgh but it is enough to see York. Either is really worth the trip by train. Train to Waverly sta in Eburgh gets you in the right place; more time would be used up getting from airport.<BR>Have only taken earlier train so don't know if would be too dark for scenery, but in April would not think so. We took the train to York for one night and went on to Edinburgh next day.<BR>For your short trip I would vote for York and plan a longer trip to Edinburgh another time. It is one of our favorite places.

ben_haines_london Feb 14th, 2003 11:21 AM

The ride is scenic from York northwards, with views of Durham castle and cathedral, and the neat fishing village of Berwick upon Tweed.<BR><BR>To fly would take about an hour longer city centre to city centre than the train, and of course is a deal less spacious and comfortable.<BR><BR>York Minster is more full of light and colour than St Giles Kirk in Edinburgh. Central York has more medieval feeling than the Edinburgh Royal Mile. York has a mound: Edinburgh has a royal castle and a royal palace. Edinburgh is two fine towns in one: the medieval Royal Mile and the Enlightenment New Town, with some of Britain?s (and so the world?s) best Georgian streetscapes. Edinburgh has more music and theatre than York. Edinburgh has the better restaurants. York is more compact.<BR><BR>The choice is yours. Welcome to Britain.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>

Snoopy Feb 14th, 2003 12:39 PM

That was outstanding, Ben!

RachelG Feb 14th, 2003 12:43 PM

Both are wonderful, though with only 2 days, I would pick York as it is closer. You could take the train there, visit the minster, etc. and then if you wanted, could rent a car to drive through the yorkshire dales--very beautiful.

janis Feb 14th, 2003 01:16 PM

I refuse to vote. Both are fabulous. Both are convenient to London by high speed train. Both have enough to completely fill your 2 days. You cannot go wrong with either choice.<BR><BR>ben explained quite a bit.<BR><BR>I love York and absolutely adore Edinburgh. <BR><BR>In York the city walls, Yorkminster, the Shambles and the York museum are &quot;musts&quot;<BR><BR>In Edinburgh, the Castle, the Old town (much more than just the Royal Mile), The Museum of Scotland, and the New Town are &quot;musts&quot;.<BR><BR>So flip a coin - you will love whichever you choose.

nigel Feb 14th, 2003 01:54 PM

I love both places too, but I would say that York would be my choice for you. <BR>Why? It's very easy to get to. It only takes about 1 hour 50 mins. or so on the High Speed Train from London King's Cross. A return ticket could be as cheap as &pound;30 all in, if you stick to the restrictions and book early enough. www.gner.co.uk will help you there. <BR>Visit the cathedral (York Minster), stroll around the narrow streets, walk around the city walls, splash out on fancy cakes and excellent tea at Bettys (taking some home with you from the shop on site which is about 1/3 of the price of the restaurant), relax in the city-centre park, have a drink in one of the waterfront bars and see how life was (and how it smelt!) in the Jorvik Viking Musuem, which celebrates York's Viking past. <BR>IMHO, I would take the train earlier than 4pm so you can maximise your time there. Or if that is not possible, take a later train back. If you left at 7 pm you'd be back in London by 9 ish. <BR>(Note, Fridays and public holidays are more difficult to get cheaper tickets, as are some weekends. Check the website above.)

Voyager007 Feb 14th, 2003 09:01 PM

Hi all,<BR>Thanks a lot for all your replies. heres what I have planned:<BR>Arrive at Heathrow on 28th at 12pm. Travel to Kings Cross and catch a train to Edinburgh at 4:30 to reach at around 9. Hope to see some good scenery!!<BR>Next day, take a 1-day Prestige tour <BR>Next day, spend in Edinburgh city and at night take a flight back to London at 8:50. <BR><BR>Decided Edinburgh over York (no offence) bse we get to see both country side scenery and architectural in Edinburgh v/s only architectural in York. <BR>Still open to be convinced otherwise.

nigel Feb 15th, 2003 01:15 PM

How much are you paying for a one-way rail ticket and a one-way air fare, which will require you to get from your hotel in E'burgh to the airport and then from the airport in London to you hotel there. I have a feeling you might be paying dear for a very short time. York has lots to offer and would be more convenient and cheaper to get to and from. <BR>Of course, E'burgh is fantastic too, but it is larger than York and therefore you might feel you're being rushed if you spend that short amount of time there. Then, if you factor in the cost of getting there and back and weight it against the shortness of your sojourn, you might think York is a better bet. <BR>Either way, at least you will know what you want and will enjoy it!