York for Christmas, advice I might have missed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will meet some of his family for Christmas in York. He and I will spend nearly a week there (Dec 21-27)and our hotel will have 2.5 days of meals and activities planned for us Dec. 24-26. We know about the St. Nicholas Fair, worship services at the Minster, we've booked tea on the 26th before attending a pantomime. It's been 20 years since we have been to York, and 30+ since I was there in December, any sights or activities that we shouldn't miss?

Last edited by Scootoir; Nov 15th, 2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 09:21 PM

Well I don't know the Minster's schedule but I have been to candlelight evensong at other cathedrals. You might see if they offer it. Really wonderful when the days are short.

​​​​
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 10:52 PM

Will you have a car? If so I can recommend a visit to Caste Howard which 'dresses' the house for Christmas. Website has opening details, some of which fit with your dates.
If it is dry then the grounds are perfect for a walk once you've explored the house. Allow yourself plenty of time. It's a lovely day out but my only criticism is the café/restaurant at Castle Howard (overpriced, poor service and lacklustre food). We take our own food these days or go to a nearby pub for lunch.
https://www.castlehoward.co.uk/whats-on/christmas
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 02:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So that you don't go to Castle Howard and find it closed, the house is closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 05:06 AM

Have a beer at that Guy Fawkes pub and eat in one those Indian restaurants (quite hot...).
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Morgana beat me to it -- definitely visit Castle Howard on an open day. Really lovely.

There is a light show at Fountains Abbey -- again, having a car would be best.

And the York Castle Museum would be a MUST at Christmas IMO with the decorations, Victorian streets etc.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 11:10 AM

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/

Kids and adults will love the National Railway Museum in York - right near the main train station - lots of hands-on stuff for kids and royal trains and well lots of trains. And free.

And the famous Betty's Cafe & Tea Rooms in York have special Christmas goodies.

https://www.bettys.co.uk/cafe-tea-rooms
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the many suggestions. We are hoping to go to an evensong service at York Minster and go to Castle Howard. We will not have a car so are exploring options by bus or taxi. It's a once-in-a-lifetime trip so we don't mind shelling out for a taxi to Castle Howard if that's what it takes. We were hoping to go there on Sunday and our hotel said they could help secure taxis.

We have planned the Railway Museum for Saturday and made reservations for tea at the Countess of York. They offer a gluten-free afternoon tea which I read was pretty good. Sadly reviews of Betty's GF tea weren't very encouraging. DH and I ate at Betty's several times when we visited York 20 years ago so that is a disappointment (that was before diagnosis). We did not know the Castle Museum is decorated and it looks like it is open for a half day on Christmas Eve which could be perfect for us. The hotel's 3 days of activities start later that day.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 07:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not to worry - Betty's is not the be all and end all. The Countess of York would be preferable anyway (It likely didn't exist when Pal visited. Too bad because with his love of trains it would be right in his wheel house)
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Yes no twas not there when I last visited in queen Victoria's day - I wonder if they say when paying "small change appreciated"! (Something that was ubiquitously announced to passengers who were going to the buffet (snackbar) - small change appreciated.)
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 10:25 PM

So we had a very nice cream tea in York. It was quite near the York Market and we ate in an upstairs dining room. I am almost certain it is the Little Shambles Tea Room. You might check that out.
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 03:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just about reachable from York
https://www.nymr.co.uk/Event/santa-specials-pickering
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Not to worry - Betty's is not the be all and end all. The Countess of York would be preferable anyway (It likely didn't exist when Pal visited. Too bad because with his love of trains it would be right in his wheel house)
I love trains too as my grandpa was an old railroader for the Chicago & Northwestern. I was pleased to read good reviews of the tearoom.