Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Italy and then visit my brother in Ulm, Germany...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice about my ideas for my trip next summer to Italy and then visit my brother in Ulm , Germany. This will be my first time in Italy. I was thinking about flying into Rome, Italy on a Tuesday, last one in June. Stay in Rome for 3nights and then catch the train into Venice. and stay In Venice for four nights. Next, my friend and I will ride a train into Germany. I would stay with my brother for 1 wk ( lst week in July) and fly out of Strutsgard, Germany. Is this plan a good one. Any advise on where to stay that is economical for two or possibly four people in Rome and in Venice.
Thanks,

Ricky from Atlanta, Ga...
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM

First I would move a day from Venice to Rome - Rome has more to see and do - and you'll be jetlagged when you get there.

The idea of an open jaws flight is good - but and not sure about - is it Stuttgart - having that many international flights.

For hotels - what do you consider to be reasonable - and are you looking at 2 rooms with 2 people each?
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Well, I would honestly suggest spending 4 nights or even 5 in Rome and the others in Venice. Not only is Rome more economical than Venice, but there's more space and the tourists aren't as suffocating as they are in Venice. And there's definitely more to do. In Venice YEARS ago I stayed at Hotel Marte, near the train station. They have private rooms and hostel style rooms available at different prices and are a 1 star hotel but clean and friendly. In Rome, apartments are an AWESOME way to save and Leisure in Rome (www.leisureinrome.com) was one of the best discoveries I ever made. They're friendly, English speaking, have some great deals, and some really nice properties that are all very central. As far as where in Germany to fly out of I can't help so much, but hope in Italy that info is useful!
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM

unfortunately you will find venice to be very very expensive and hot at that time of year and rome, while not quiet as expensive, also hot.....a/c might be a good idea and in the lower price ranges that might not be possible....start looking now for sure...

you may have to fly out of frankfurt or munich instead and you might find them to be cheaper....look at delta, luftansa, british air, american....
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM

I've flown Delta from Stuttgart to Atlanta several times in the past. From Ulm you will be closer to Stuttgart. Munich wouldn't be that much of a difference. I like both airports.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

I wouldnt want to spend more than $150 a night for two people. It could possibly be 4 people.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM

I agree with others who suggest spending more time in Rome than Venice. You could check into apartments in Rome--realrome.com is a good agency with very reasonable prices.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM

$150 is only about 100 euros - very low price for 4 people (most hotel rooms in europe have one double bed and no room to even add cots). And to find a decent place at that price with AC (many inexpensive hotels don;t have AC) will be a real challenge.

I would start looking as soon as possible. (And in summer expect both Rome and Venice to be in the 90s and humid - plus many stores and restaurants don;t have AC either.)