I just returned from an 8-day solo trip to London, Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam. It was an excellent trip! I would like to thank all of you who have directly or indirectly assisted me in planning my trip, but in particular, I would like to thank Robyn (artstuff), Myriam, Tulips, and 111op.
Some of you may recall that I recently went on a trip to Paris & London in end of Feb with my boyfriend (BF). Unfortunately he couldn't take time off, so I went by myself (plus he was slowing me down anyway - just kidding)!
Inspiration for the trip
This trip was planned on short notice - just 4 weeks before I left. I wanted to go back to London to visit Courtauld, which I ran out of time in my last trip. I also wanted to revisit Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. My last visit to Amsterdam and Brussels was in 1994 (also went to Bruges & Ghent that time), but I really don't remember much from that trip. Instead of going back to Bruges & Ghent, I decided to visit some place new - Antwerp, Delft, Den Haag, and Rotterdam.
This is a very much art-driven trip. I got interested in the Dutch Golden Age (Vermeer in particular), but also interested in the Old Masters, Flemish Primitives, as well as the "newer" artists like Magritte and Mondrian.
Before the trip, I tried to read up on these artists as much as possible. I bought a few books and borrowed some more from the library. Before I left, I had read about Vermeer, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Bruegel the Elder, Magritte, and Escher.
I also checked on the web for special exhibitions and concerts and booked tickets for the ones I was interested in.
Before I continue on to the trip itself, I have to warn you: this was an extremely hectic trip. For those of you who felt my previous trip was too rushed, this was even worse. One of my friends who saw my trip itinerary (I posted it on my blog) described my trip as a "military campaign." I had so much packed into my itinerary that I had my daily activities planned down to the hour. Well, this is the way I want it to be (at least this time).
Read at your own risk!
May 19, Day 0
I flew AA from DFW - LGW. I picked the 777 flight which has more room through coach (MRTC) and individual seatback screen. I slept on and off for a total of 5 hours on this 9-hour flight. We arrived in London at 8:17am, 17 minutes late. It was raining in London.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 WHATS-APP +1(403)814-1154 HIGH QUALITY UNDETECTABLE COUNTERFEIT
- 2 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 3 Paris November 2017
- 4 1 night in Algarve in January?
- 5 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 6 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 7 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 8 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 9 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 10 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 11 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 12 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 13 Current plan for March trip
- 14 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 15 Spain in 2018
- 16 Rentals in Madrid , Spain-Select
- 17 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 18 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 19 First time in Spain
- 20 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 21 Schengen entry/exit stamps in Austria
- 22 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 23 Barcelona to Malaga
- 24 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 25 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
yk's solo trip report: Museum-hopping in London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and so much more! 5/19-5/27/05