Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

YK, is this my best bet with Tube and 2for1?

Mar 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

YK, because you seem to not only have a great grasp of the Oyster/railcard issues but ALSO have the ability to translate the TFL website intelligibly (to the extent it is possible), I ask if this is the best way to manage transport passes for a 10-day trip:

(1) Buy Oyster cards for me and wife; load 7-day travelcard onto one Oyster plus X GBP in PAYG fees (we'll have day trips that make getting both a 7 and 3 day card less sensible);

(2) Load X GBP into second PAYG Oyster card.

(3) Get 7-day paper travelcard at Waterloo station (right by our flat) and use at Tower, Hampton Ct, London Walks etc.

And a corollary pair of questions, (a) do all paper travelcards purchased at a London train terminal (Waterloo, Paddington, etc) get printed with a National Rail symbol on it or are there specific machines I need to look for? (b) are 7-day paper travelcards only good from the day of purchase or can you buy for a future day?

Thanks much.
Mar 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Hi there,

I can help you with the last couple questions. Yes, all paper travelcards get printed on national rail paper. Just go to the manned booths to buy. Just make sure you are at the train station not the tube (underground) station. You can buy for a future date, just did that for my parents a couple of months ago.
Enjoy London!
Mar 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM
ron

From the FAQ of the Days Out Guide:

How many train tickets are required per voucher?

Whilst you will only have one London Attractions voucher between 2 people, both people need to hold valid train tickets for the day of visit.

If this rule is, in fact, enforced at the ticket office of the various attractions, you will not be able to get away with putting one of the travelcards on Oyster.
Mar 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Ron, that is true, but it seems noone in London checks (apparently, yk did have someone check in Bath....not sure what the result was).
Mar 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
yk

Not much else to add here, except for the fact that strictly speaking, you are required to have TWO valid rail tickets to qualify for the 2-for-1 deal, but like sf7307 said, no one seemed to have any trouble with just one valid rail ticket.

For Hampton Court, (or whichever sites outside of London that requires a train ride), that train ticket you buy that day to get to HCP will qualify you for the 2-for-1. Therefore, you DON'T have to visit HCP during the time you have the 7-day travelcard.
Mar 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
yk

I forgot to say, that I'm not sure if you can load both a 7-day travelcard AND PAYG onto an Oyster at the same time. I'm sure you can find that out once you're in London.
Mar 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM

yk...you most assuredly can put a 7 day travelcard and PAYG funds on the same oyster card at the same time.....the PAYG is what serves for extensions....Example you're at Heathrow and want a 7 day travelcard and need an extension for the trip into Central London...you pay the £25.80 for the 7 day card and either £1.10 or £2 for the extension (non peak or peak)...they go on the same card with the later going into the PAYG portion of the oyster card...do it all the time....
Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:24 AM

Hi tehre. does anyone knows how many vouchers i can use with one return ticket? if i only have a heathrow connect ticket to and from London but only retuning a week later can i use the vouchers during this 7 days period? and how many vouchers i can use?
Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:31 AM

You can use as many vouchers as you like.

Note that the only Travelcards that are now accepted are those bought at train stations. You can't load a Travelcard onto an Oystercard and get the offers

There isn't now a 3 day Travelcard - it's 1 day, 7 days or longer.

Oystercard PAYG now caps at the same price as the equivalent 1 day Travelcard rather than 50p less than it. HOWEVER - and it's a BIG HOWEVER, there is now a second peak time between 4:00pm and 7:00pm so that if you use your Oystercard PAYG during that time you will be subject to the peak time cap rather than the off peak cap. This in extreme cases can mean a difference of several pounds