Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   YIKES! Knee arthroscopy 3 wks.before France trip ! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/yikes-knee-arthroscopy-3-wks-before-france-trip-641843/)

lifes2short Aug 25th, 2006 09:24 AM

YIKES! Knee arthroscopy 3 wks.before France trip !

I knew things were falling into place just a little too easily for our 2 week trip to France. (departure 24 Sept.Today I learned that I need knee arthroscopy for a torn meniscus. Not in constant pain at all, occasional discomfort up & down stairs, so the diagnosis was quite a surprise. Dr.recommends surgery next week, leaving barely 3 weeks to recover.I'm learning how common the procedure is, and how quickly most people bounce back. My question for Fodorites is this: has anyone had this surgery shortly before a sightseeing/walking trip, and in retrospect, did you have any regrets about the timing ? Not looking for advice, just curious about other' experience with this procedure & traveling. And, yes, thank goodness, we bought travel insurance !

pat Aug 25th, 2006 09:39 AM

My friend did it, only she had an ACL repair, a much bigger surgery. She went with a cane. On the way to the airport, she got stung by a bee through an open car window, and her face swelled up. It wasn`t pretty. Since it`s not an emergency surgery, why not wait until you get back?

dutyfree Aug 25th, 2006 09:44 AM

Lets see- a flight attendant friend just had it done in June...now out till October. I had it done 4 years ago as a result of a torn meniscus and the orth.(Chicago Bears doctor) botched it as he took too much cartilage out. It took me almost 12 weeks to get back to work and it still is horrible-just found out from another orth.two weeks ago that I need NOW a total knee replacement!!!Personally, with all the walking and stairs overseas I would reshedule the trip if you can.Some people can do well depending on the tear but the majority of people I have know who had it needed more than 3 weeks to recuperate.

suze Aug 25th, 2006 09:49 AM

I had exactly that operation in January of this year. Sorry to have to say there's no way could I have traveled 3 weeks later.

enzian Aug 25th, 2006 09:52 AM

I had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus some years ago, when the surgery was still quite new. Then, the recommendation was to use crutches for 2 weeks, and take it easy for six more. I believe the recommendations have changed considerably since then. And for what it's worth---I didn't follow them. I used the crutches for one week, together with elevation and lots of ice. Then I started walking for rehibilitation, and was back to running three weeks after the surgery, with no ill effects whatsoever. But of course, your experience could be entirely different. I wish you the best in this.

lemidi Aug 25th, 2006 09:55 AM

This may be very different, I'm not sure but...my mother had knee replacement surgery for arthritis 6 weeks before a one month trip to France. She was considering cancelling but did not. We did tons of walking once there and she was fine. She is already very athletic though so I don't know if everyone bounces back so quickly.

SuzieC Aug 25th, 2006 09:55 AM

If you can, reschedule.
To many orth's take out too much cartilege, apparently.

norween Aug 25th, 2006 09:56 AM

It depends a lot on how bad the rest of the knee is damaged and the technique used - i had it done (meniscus cut by a laser, then 'vaccuum cleaned') - it was done in less than 10 minutes under local anesthesy and i exited the surgery room on my feet. I was done a thursay, monday i was at work (no cast, no cane - just a light strapping) - I was allowed to resume (carefully) training (athletics - 400 m runnner) 6 weeks later.

pkt Aug 25th, 2006 10:06 AM

I'm a veteran of multiple knee surgeries, including ACL reconstrution and an arthroscopic procedure for a torn meniscus. The latter surgery was within two weeks of a camping trip (not serious backpacking, but lots of hiking). I was very worried about a week before the trip because I still had some swelling, but I ultimately had no problems. Just a few days later, I felt no ill effects of the surgery, and had almost forgotten about it. Generally speaking, I think three weeks is plenty of time to recouperate from a typical arthroscopic procudure (I did mine on an outpatient basis). However, the extent of your meniscal tear and the quality of your doctor (along with your age and how well your body reacts to the trauma of surgery) will all weigh into your recovery time. BTW, I also took an international trip about a month after the ACL surgery. Bad idea, never again.

maitaitom Aug 25th, 2006 10:09 AM

I just had arthroscopy on my knee August 9 (meniscus and cartilage tears). I'm 54 (damn, when did that happen??) Today (16 days later), I feel great, although knee is still a little stiff, but it feels soooo much better! I was off crutches in three days.

I don't think walking will be your big problem, although some people take longer than others to heal from these things. The problem will be flying. My doctor said to wait six weeks to fly because of potential knee swelling from a long plane flight.

It's a tough decision, so good luck! No matter what you do, start physical therapy as soon as you can after the operation to help with stiffness and swelling.

((H))

suze Aug 25th, 2006 10:13 AM

Clearly everyone's experience is different, BUT I think it would be helpful to at least compare only the same type of operation (an arthroscopic repair for torn meniscus is completely different than a knee replacement or an ACL reconstruction).

hausfrau Aug 25th, 2006 10:28 AM

lifes2short,
OK, my experience falls into the "not quite the same category," but I have to offer my two cents. I myself have lived with a knee problem most of my life (chondromalacia patella, but I'm probably spelling it wrong), which only causes me minor discomfort (hiking downhill, going downstairs, or sitting on a skilift), so I have chosen not to pursue surgery. My husband had arthroscopic surgery before Christmas one year for a more complicated knee problem and was told by his doctor that he could go skiing 8 weeks later. That was a total joke! He was not able to ski that season.

Given everything previous posters have said, I think the message is that knee surgeries are a delicate business and things don't always go as planned. Perhaps you might discuss with your doctor whether you can postpone the surgery until after your trip?

suze Aug 25th, 2006 10:43 AM

If your current condition is not too painful, I would postpone the surgery until after the trip. What you have now is a "known entity" what you'll feel like after surgery is impossible to predict.

canterbury Aug 25th, 2006 11:11 AM

I had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus amongst other things. I was able to walk right away, though I was quite stiff for several weeks.

Since your knee does not seem to bother you too much (diagnosis was a surprise) maybe you can go to France without the surgery??

Celticharper Aug 25th, 2006 11:20 AM

I had this surgery a few years ago, but my knee was so bad that if I sat for 15 minutes it would be so stiff I couldn't move it.

Only a week after the surgery I was walking normally without pain for the first time in years. It was heavenly to walk again without pain.

But be aware that for about 3 or 4 days after the surgery you will need the crutches and there will be some pain.

Good luck.

katzen Aug 25th, 2006 11:22 AM

I think a lot has to do with what 'shape' you are in, how fast you typically 'recover' from things and how the surgery goes.

andy Aug 25th, 2006 01:51 PM

I will be surprised to see if your doc will even let you fly--there is a possiblity of flipping a clot on a long flight ( ie. over the water)....

IF you do decided to do this trip, bring an old fashioned train case and lift up your leg during the flight-ALSO bring a cane and USE wheelchair assistance to keep the weight off your knee til you really HAVE to use it.

I , too, had arthroscopy surgery for ACL and arthritis...I am not a tiny person--it took over 6 weeks with a brace to feel better.

This past year I had DOUBLE knee replacements and that was a living hell..but YES, I would do it again.

To get back to your original question, My neighbor just had her miniscus repaired..she was hobbling on crutches--and will be out of work for at least 4 weeks..

I would either postpone surgery or postpone the trip.

suze Aug 25th, 2006 02:00 PM

Another consideration, it's really important you don't trip or fall especially right after the surgery. So even if you are feeling up to walking in 'barely 3 weeks' I don't think going to Europe would be the smartest thing to do.

Hey I have a crazy idea! How about you ask your surgeon this question???

lifes2short Aug 25th, 2006 02:41 PM

Thanks for the replies, Everyone. A few of you raised points I hadn't considered--such as risk/discomfort of the flight, and the 'scraping too much cartilege' factor. Ouch ! Sorry if my question confused anyone--I clearly stated that I wasn't asking for guidance or advice; this scenario has presented me with an interesting dilemma, & I wondered if anyone else had faced this particular decision--and if so, how did it turn out ? Nice of so many to take the time to relate your (or others') experiences. I'm especially apologetic to anyone who formed the impression that my decision depended on your responses. Trust me,an enormous chunk of today's ortho visit was devoted to discussing the trip with my surgeon. [ But you WERE being facetious with that last 'crazy idea' you posted, weren't you, Suze ? ] Thanks again, All, it was interesting and enlightening reading all around.

suze Aug 25th, 2006 02:58 PM

Well I was only partly kidding. Are you willing to tell us what your surgeon advised you today?

It is kind of hard to answer a post like yours sharing personal experience, without some guidance or advise slipping in.