Yikes! How long - Loch Ness to London?

Jul 28th, 2000, 07:30 PM
Wendy

Yikes! How long - Loch Ness to London?

We will have a rental car in England and would like to drive up to Loch Ness, Scotland. Scotland is at the end of our trip and we fly out of London to come home. Does anyone know how long we should realistically plan for the drive from Loch Ness to LHR? As always, thanks in advance for your thoughtful advice.

Jul 28th, 2000, 07:50 PM
John

Hi, Wendy,
It's doable in one really, really long day (no. of hours depends on where along the loch you start) but more comfortable with an overnight stop somewhere.

Jul 29th, 2000, 01:09 AM
Sheila

Why not arrange to leave your car in Inverness and get the train or a plane back to London. I think you have to come into Luton, but it would be better than that drive which is c
12 1/2-14 hours

Jul 29th, 2000, 03:09 AM
Maira

My husband & I did that drive back in May '98. I remembered leaving London mid-morning, and overnighted in Lancaster (great tour of the castle!). We continue on with stops at Loch Lommond for pics, Glencoe for lunch and stayed at Loch Ness for a couple of days. On our way back we came thru Edinburgh, stayed a couple of days there and left from Manchester back to the US.

It was an amazingly wonderful trip. Lots to do in that area, details of which I have posted repeteadly. E-mail me directly if you can't find them by doing a search.

Jul 30th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Julian

I did this drive in one go once with only a break for dinner in Glasgow and it was very tiring indeed. I think the driving time was probably about 10 hours. Either break it up as other people suggest or, as Sheila rightly advises, think about flying. Bear in mind that BA withdrew its Inverness to LHR service a few years ago (with many local protests) and now you can only fly to Gatwick on BA (or Luton on Easyjet). So you would then have the moderate hassle of getting to LHR from one of these airports.

Jul 30th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Julian

Of course the other option is the train. ScotRail runs one of the last sleeper services in this country up to the Highlands (ending up in Inverness, I think) out of London Euston, and there are also daytime services. Check out www.railtrack.co.uk and www.thetrainline.com.