Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Yet *another* Seville/Cordoba question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/yet-another-seville-cordoba-question-1014286/)

mcnyc May 14th, 2014 09:50 AM

Yet *another* Seville/Cordoba question

Hello all,

I'm currently planning my Seville/Cordoba/Granada trip, and due to my time, I have already knocked off Malaga and Cadiz. But I can't seem to take Cordoba off my list, particularly since I now desperately want to see Medina Azahara after seeing pictures of it. And since Cordoba is a UNESCO site, I'm also trying to knock off a little work in the process.

I see that the Medina Azahara is a tough place to get to on public transportation, so I was playing with the idea of staying in Cordoba at least 2 nights, instead of making Cordoba a day trip as I had originally planned. This means that basically, I get off the plane, head over to Cordoba by train, stay overnight, Medina Azahara in the morning for however long it takes, Mezquita Cordoba, overnight, eventually head to Seville for 3 nights, then eventually head to Granada for 2 nights. If it matters, I'll be traveling alone.

I know this is a rushed trip. It's rushed for a few personal reasons. Speaking of which, how is the health system for foreigners in Spain?

Other than that, if anyone has any suggestions or advice as to how I should rearrange my time (I currently have a reservation for 4 nights in Seville), it would be greatly appreciated. I want to purchase my train tickets, and am flipping between Seville and Cordoba.

Thanks!
mcnyc

bilboburgler May 14th, 2014 10:50 AM

It kinda works either way the cities are easy to get to and the trains quick, stations great. Do as you suggest.

starter for 10

http://www.expatica.com/es/family/ki...stem-1891.html

pempem May 14th, 2014 11:16 AM

Sounds fine, and I'm the type who likes to see as much as possible in a short amount of time (I get too restless when I'm supposed to "relax" on vacation!).

Sounds like one full day in Cordoba is good for those two sites (Mezquita- do NOT miss!!). Get on a morning train to Seville the next day and enjoy that wonderful city. One full day in Granada is all you really need for the Alhambra. An extra day if you have it is great to just roam around. Have fun!

Egbert May 14th, 2014 12:06 PM

It's fine. 2 nights in Cordoba will be good. I would rather spend one night there and 4 in Seville but one nighters are kind of a drag. As long as you have 3 nights in Sevile and 2 in Granada you'll have a great trip. Health system is very good, it's a first world country.

mcnyc May 14th, 2014 02:01 PM

Thanks. Bilboburgler, I'll take your advice. Any recommendations on a place to stay

Pempem, I'm like you. I don't "relax" well. Put me on a beach with a drink in my hand, and I'm an unhappy camper, regardless of how strong that drink is.

I understand that evenings in Cordoba are lovely, so want to have that experience. I decided this trip I won't do day trips. I'll just stay in one place and explore.

And thanks for the info on the health system. I know they have excellent doctors, so that wasn't my question. It was more about how foreign insurance would work. Sorry I didn't phrase my question correctly.

bilboburgler May 14th, 2014 10:58 PM

I stayed in traditional festival accomodation (not recommended) Trip Advisor is pretty good in Europe

mcnyc May 15th, 2014 02:03 PM

Thanks. Didn't mean to ask for recommendations. I thought my preview had taken that out. Oh well.

I'll be staying at Los Patios in Cordoba, Hotel Goya in Seville, and Casa De La Trinidad in Granada.

I will admit I've been hemming and hawing between Hotel Goya and Hotel Simon in Seville. Still deciding, as Hotel Simon is much cheaper and has more character than the Hotel Goya. Since they seem to be a short walk away from each other, location isn't a deciding point right now. Unless there's something I need to be clued in on...

Momddtravel2 May 15th, 2014 02:44 PM

They look like great areas mcnyc - I am in Seville right now :-) very close to the Cathedral and I like that area.

nytraveler May 15th, 2014 04:57 PM

How the insurance works depends on YOUR carrier - not the system in Spain. Typically you pay on the spot and file the paperwork you get with your insurer when you get home.

Don't know your age but Medicare does reimburse for care outside the US. If you have any sort of chronic problem I would make sure you buy good medical insurance for the trip and that it covers pre-existing conditions.