Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Yet Another Croatia Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/yet-another-croatia-itinerary-637487/)

HBKev Aug 7th, 2006 09:04 PM

Yet Another Croatia Itinerary

Hello folks. I notice that there lots of people with questions on itineraries, and I have read a lot of great advice in response, so... I am planning a trip to Croatia by myself from September 16 through September 25 - and was wondering if the itinerary that I am planning is feasible? Would you suggest buses or ferries to some of these destinations?

Saturday, September 16 - arrive Rijeka airport 11:30 a.m. - go to Opatija or Rivinj (would you recommend one over the other?)
Sunday, September 17 - Rijeka to Rab (Ferry or bus?)
Monday, September 18 - Rab to Plitvice Lakes by bus
Tuesday, September 19 - Plitvice Lakes to Trogir by bus
Wednesday, September 20 - Trogir to Split by bus -> ferry to Hvar
Thursday, September 21 - Hvar to Brac or Korcula (which is better - Brac or Korcula?)
Friday, September 22 - Brac or Korcula to Dubrovnik
Saturday, September 23 - Dubrovnik
Sunday, September 24 - Fly from Dubrovnik to Zagreb at 6:55 a.m. - spend the day and night in Zagreb.
Monday, September 25 - Bus (or train?) from Zagreb to Rijeka for at 12:25 p.m. flight.

Should I cut anything out of this itinerary or does this sound manageable? I'll be on my own, so won't be waiting for anyone.
Thanks for your assistance!

issy Aug 8th, 2006 10:31 AM

I'm no expert, having only been to Croatia once in June. But, with all due respect, I think your itinerary is crazy. It looks as if you are trying to see the entire country in 10 days. You are moving to another destination every day.

You will be spending a great deal of time getting TO the places, and not nearly enough time to enjoy them. Traveling from one place to another isn't all that quick if you are relying on buses and ferries. It doesn't sound like you will be having a car, correct?

Do you have to fly in/out of Rijeka? Do you already have tix? If possible, fly in Rijeka and out of Dubrovnik or Split.

Just some first thoughts: With your time frame, I would skip Zagreb and Rab completely, and do only one island (Hvar?). You could easily spend 3 or 4 days in Dubrovnik. The Old Town can be done in a day, but there are some great day trips from there, including day trips to surrounding islands.

Maybe something like this:
Opatija/Rovij - 2 nights
Plitvice - 1 night
Split - 1 night (can visit Trogir from there)
Hvar - 2 nights
Dubrovnik - 3 nights
Last day - get back to Rijeka (I think there are overnight ferries that go there from either Dubrovnik or Split, but not sure). Now if you can fly out of Split or Dubrovnik, you have an extra day to add somewhere or maybe a one night stop in Korcula.

Good luck and have fun.

murphy89 Aug 8th, 2006 11:01 AM

Hi HBKev,

I am planning a trip to Croatia too and though I haven't been yet I think its safe to say this itinerary is full to the point of overflowing.

I would give the same advice to anyone planning a trip to anywhere -

consider the time you will spend on the bus, finding and checking into your hotel, getting re-orientated. I doesn't seem like you'll have much time to see anything. Why the sprint through - you may get more out of your trip by enjoying the stops that are most important to you.

daily catamaran from Rijeka to Rab. 40KN, 2 hours or bus 2.5hrs 87KN according to Lonely Planet.

How are you getting from Rab to Plitvice? I am curious as my guide is shotty on how to accomplish this exactly.

My guide indicates Plitvice to Zadar is three hours, then another 3.30hrs from Zadar to Split (Torgir is 20min away from Spit).

Your going to see Split then ferry to Hvar - what are you going to do with your bags while you are touring Split?

You have less than a half day at each of these locals. For the trouble you will pay a lot of extra money traveling around only to see very little outside of buses, ferries and planes.

Food for thought.

Murphy

Adriana346 May 29th, 2008 03:03 PM

Opatija is one of the best places in Croatia, by land or sea, but ferry is best. Rab by ferry. Brac is much closer to Hvar, and both are wonderful islands. Why are you going inland and then back to the coast? Why don't you just go the whole coast? Then, rather than fly to Zagreb, rent a car and drive the coast to Zagreb and see places like Plitvice, Split/Trogir, etc. Korcula to Dubrovnik would be great if you were able to get to Dubrovnik through Peljasac, but the ferry is easier. You'll just miss the penninsula.

yorkshire May 30th, 2008 06:52 AM

Agree it is too much and some of it is likely impossible. You'll be on a bus the whole time. One night in a place is usually not enough. I would first decide if I wanted to concentrate on north or south and pick one.
Take a look at the jadrolinija website to get a better idea of ferry routes and schedules.
http://www.htz.hr is also very useful--it shows the transportation options for each region on the interactive map under "destinations."
Save about half of what you have selected for next time--Good Luck!

GeoffHamer May 30th, 2008 06:59 AM

"Your (sic) going to see Split then ferry to Hvar - what are you going to do with your bags while you are touring Split?"

Both the bus station and adjacent railway station in Split have a left luggage office ("garderoba" in Croatian). Similarly, bus stations in Trogir, Zadar, Rijeka, etc, have left luggage offices. Leaving luggage is not a problem in Croatia.

korcula Jun 14th, 2008 10:58 AM

Brac - Korcula
1 5
year years
So, my favorite is Korcula.
And the apartments are www.rentadriatic.com
And my parents took their apartment in the old town. They didn't regret.
The rest of your discussion is too wast for me.