Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yet Again! More London Hotel Questions. Non-refundable?

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:13 PM
MHS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For mid-May, attending the Chelsea Flower Show. Looked for hotels in basically the Westminster/ Victoria Station area as central to our interests. Found availability in Thistle Royal Horseguards (110), Rubens (99), Strand Palace (105), Grange Rochester (145). You can tell we are not the B&amp;B or small hotel clients. Questions: any strong preference among these 4 in regard to evening meals, not in hotel? nearby pubs?, etc.<BR>And -- The first two say &quot;non-refundable&quot; -- does that mean one pays the total up-front and no cancellation possible, even though the hotel can obviously rent the room if you give them proper notice (usually pre-4pm).<BR><BR>And, while on the hotel topic, I understand normal US bed descriptions: twin,double, queen &amp; king, but what is &quot;standard&quot;?<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:08 PM

hi MHS,<BR><BR>Are you going thru one of the hotel discount sites? if so, they may require that you pay for the room upfront or put up a non refundable deposit. this is to lock in that rate you see and then they provide you with a voucher to give to the hotel. this is how they make their money. <BR><BR>if you are booking with the hotel, most only require your credit card number as a guarentee, but with for example &quot;the royal horseguards thistle&quot; they require a 1 night non refundable deposit to lock in that super saver rate you see of 110 pds. this keeps away those people on the net that will book but are not really serious about it. only travelers that are committed will book.<BR><BR>as for &quot;standard&quot;. in most european countries, they have two types of rooms in their hotel. &quot;standard&quot; is just their basic no frills room. &quot;superior&quot; or &quot;executive&quot; usually means that the room has extras and more room. in some hotels, expecially london and paris it really makes a difference in size. in some hotels, it also might be the difference between having just a small shower to having a full bath/shower.<BR><BR>hope this helps!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:13 PM

I haven't stayed in those particular hotels so can't comment on that, but &quot;standard&quot; in hotel descriptions usually is not a reference to the bed size but the type of room. Basically, it's the lowest level room and that can refer to how nice it is, views, location, but most often refers to room size. Anything better is called superior or deluxe or something.<BR><BR>Wherever you found the rates should optimally define exactly what is &quot;nonrefundable.&quot; If you are booking through a booking service that says it has discounts, it may be nonrefundable. Any special rate may be nonrefundable in part. That rate for Thistle appears to be one of their special super saver rates or something and is probably nonrefundable for one night's deposit, but their site's booking terms tell you details. I wouldn't say it was obvious a hotel could book the room if you cancel by 4 (and I think Thistle wants cancellation by 2). I think hotels need to discourage a lot of folks booking a lot of rooms in different hotels just to hedge their bets and wait to make up their mind until late. Especially if you are booking during a period when they would likely be full, they may lose money if you cancel at the last minute. It's like airline tickets, if you want a deep discounted rate, there may be stiffer cancellation penalties.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM
MHS
Original Poster

Thanks for the explainations. Actually it was both the Royal Horseguards &amp; Rubens that stated &quot;non-refundable&quot; but I found no explanation that it was for the 1 night only. That I wouldn't mind -- but for the total I would. With parents in their 80s &amp; us in our 60s plus the DGDs etc., &amp; winter driving before May I do consider the cancellation costs. Wasn't a matter of booking several options, although I understand that some might. Does anyone know specifically about the Rubens or Royal Horseguards? Is the Rubens really as nice as it looks &amp; as conveniently located?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:03 PM

Both the Rubens and Horseguards are very nice. I love Royal Horseguards - the location is fantastic and many rooms have views of the river. The Rubens is nice too, and very convenient to Victoria Station - but I would personally choose Royal Horseguards.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 01:10 AM

Standard rooms at the Strand Palace are miniscule and the baths even smaller. I'd scratch that one off the list. <BR><BR>You might try for a good rate at Sloane Sq Moat House at one of the discount sites or at the moat house site. You'd be in walking distance to the Flower Show. <BR><BR>If you use the Moat house site be sure to put your exact dates in, sometimes they don't show special prices but will be offering them on specific dates.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:01 AM
MHS
Original Poster

Found part of my own answer -- thanks for the suggestions &amp; encouragement to look at the &quot;fine print&quot;. Horseguards is very up-front. Their sale offer states that 1 night is non-refundable if cancellation is less than 30 days prior. For Rubens -- click &amp; scroll down on the small rectanguar window above the room rates. The first item doesn't seem pertinent &amp; blank lines suggest that is the end. It isn't. Scrolling down one comes to the statement that their &quot;last minute&quot; special rate is totally non-refunable, must be paid by credit card up front.<BR><BR>Hope that this info will help someone else in the future.<BR>Thanks