Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   YES! - We ate at McDonald's! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/yes-we-ate-at-mcdonalds-128139/)

lynn Jun 4th, 2001 07:31 PM

YES! - We ate at McDonald's!

Let's look at a few good things about McD's overseas... <BR> <BR>1) Hot coffee in a "to go" cup early in the morning. Standing up at a counter isn't always what you want to do. <BR> <BR>2) Familiarity. Sometimes, you just want something quick, convenient, cheap, and familiar. <BR> <BR>3) Better than here. Generally, we find McD's in Europe and Asia to be better than here at home. We can usually count on them for a basic cheeseburger and fries without hassle and fanfair. (Best McD's we ever ate at to date is in Hong Kong) <BR> <BR>Food for thought! <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR>:-)

Lou Jun 4th, 2001 09:04 PM

I hate to admit it, but while we were in Krakow last summer (home of 200 cafes near the old town square) all I wanted in the morning was a Grande Almond Skim Latte from Starbucks. I just couldn't shake off the 'American' in me entirely, and sometimes I didn't want to spend 45 minutes on coffee in a cafe.

Prue Jun 4th, 2001 09:24 PM

Also, don't forget they are a reliable source of clean (or reasonably so) and free toilet facilities - which are easy to find no matter where in the world you are!

Art Jun 4th, 2001 09:33 PM

Hi Lynn, when my sister and I were in Spain last Sept, the last day we also had lunch at McD's. Her first time out of New England and wanted something familuar. At least we were on La Ramba and enjoying people watching. You don't have to leave Fodor's forum. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR> <BR>

Ursula Jun 5th, 2001 01:29 AM

Oh Art, this is soo disappointing to hear from you! You were in Barcelona and went to a McDo. I would have taken you to a nice little place with plenty of tapas, wine and churros to finish. ;-) On the other hand, I understand, it was nice to take your sister to a place she's familiar with. <BR>PS: Hope you will have some nice Bratwurst, Weisswurst and Schweinshaxen in Munich -- perfect go with the beer -- instead of a MacDo hamburger!

Jody Jun 5th, 2001 02:13 AM

I'll confess.. I had frech fries and coffee at a Mcdonald's in Paris! After a daylong bout of food poisoning, I wanted to gradually work my way back to French food. Never eat scallops on a Sunday , even in Patricia Wells recommended restaurants... <BR>Only took till dinner time to get back to the real thing...

stacey Jun 5th, 2001 02:36 AM

I confess as well. On Saturdays in Heidelberg, I'll often stop and grab a cheeseburger. There's nothing like it to soften the blow from too many biers the night before!

s.fowler Jun 5th, 2001 03:42 AM

I confess -- you csn take the torture instruments away now! <BR> <BR>U had a coke at the McD in downtown Skopje and a coke and used the bathroom at the one in Prague near the bus station. <BR> <BR>In my defense -- nary a fry crosses my lips:)

Maira Jun 5th, 2001 04:09 AM

We couldn't help ourselves, but to be part of the excited crowd standing on line to order at a McD's in Prague. Honestly it was a cultural experience for us. Even though we didn't understand the language while in line, you could see the excitement and the anticipation on kids, teenagers, and parents. The food? It tasted exactly as at the McD's down the road from work here in NY.

Ess Jun 5th, 2001 04:54 AM

We were in France last week and saw a McDonald's ad that said "McDo" - with a picture of a croque monsieur. I thought that was funny. We didn't eat there, though. I truly don't mean to be a snob, but I'd have to be really desperate to eat McDonald's food.

Al Godon Jun 5th, 2001 05:54 AM

Oh Horror!! Will Americans' obsession with fat diets, and 40% to 60% obesity factors never cease?? <BR> <BR>It is like the old joke. How many American tourists does it take to make a dozen? The answer is 12, but they weigh 100% more.

Richard Jun 5th, 2001 06:01 AM

Um, Al, I don't believe that McDonald's in countries other than the U.S. are supported solely by Americans, so obviously the locals are obssessed with fat, too. <BR> <BR>I was in Europe on business, and had a German driver. We had just crossed the border into Hungary at about 5 a.m. when he asked if it would be okay to stop at a McDonalds. He then proceeded to eat 2 Big Macs and an order of fries. I made do with coffee. Again, it's not just us stupid, backwards, fat Americans.

Lily Jun 5th, 2001 06:20 AM

I can't believe I'm admitting this on this board, but in November 1999, we had been traveling around Spain and Portugal for about 10 days and were getting tired of the food. We didn't find the food particularly appealing in southern Spain (I know this is an extremely unpopular opinion), and decided that we would stop at the very next McDonald's we happened to see. We had Quarter Pounders with cheese and large French fries, and I can honestly say that I had not been that excited about McDonald's since I was eight years old. I absolutely never eat at McDonald's at home; and especially now that I've sworn off red meat because of BSE.

Eva Jun 5th, 2001 06:21 AM

I have eaten at McDonald's in europe but only one thing - apple pies. They still fry them like they used to in Toronto (now it is that cursed oven-baked crap) - so I make it a point to always buy myself an apple pie to bring myself back to my school days when I loved them...a small indulgence. But would I eat a big mac? there or here, I would not.

Carey Jun 5th, 2001 06:24 AM

oh please! I find this hilarious! If you don't eat McDonald's in the States, you probably won't eat it while traveling. But if you do love a cheeseburger here or there in the U.S. you probably WILL eat one when traveling. I have had McDonald's almost everywhere I have been. Sometimes I just need a break from wondering what to eat, figuring out the menu, and want some diversity. (when you eat pasta and pizza a lot, it's diversity!) <BR> <BR>I love to hear when people say that when they go to a country they want to live like the "natives" do.....as proven from above, "native" eat McDonald's too! <BR> <BR>I don't think it's an embarrassment to say you ate at McDonald's.........your on vacation, do whatever the hell you want!

Marsha Jun 5th, 2001 06:33 AM

25 years ago, while living in France, it was a BIG treat to go to Geneva or Paris to visit McDonalds. It was a "taste of home" back when things weren't so "Americanized" in Europe. Now, it is almost a nutritional necessity to stop at McDonald's when traveling with picky eaters (like my daughter). I make do with their "European" specials - last year, they had something called a Provencal burger. Although I would prefer to eat "native," one can't take life too seriously when traveling and one must make allowances for one's traveling companions. <BR>P.S. It was also fun to watch the children's birthday party at McDonald's - it was very special for these French kids!

Kathy Jun 5th, 2001 06:34 AM

Well, I did get a Coke at the McD's in Avignon & used the bathroom. My classmates observed that McD's & Wendy's both consistently had clean, user-friendly toilet facilities throughout Europe. <BR> <BR>One of my American buddies went to perform with other members of our university symphony orchestra, & they were on a per diem allowance. He & a few other guys had eaten an unsatisfying lunch one afternoon ("unsatisfying" in the sense it didn't fill them up), were walking down a street, turned a corner & saw a McD's. Mark said they made a bee-line there & thought they died & went to heaven! <BR>Kathy

elvira Jun 5th, 2001 07:08 AM

Oh yes I do love MickeyD's every once in a while (as my friend P says "every once in a while, a gal needs fries and a hit of grease"). Years ago, first trip to Paris, coming back from someplace late evening, with a miserable headcold. Like a beacon, those Golden Arches; I could get a giant styrofoam cup of tea to take back to my room and nurse (it and me). And that hot coffee a emporter is a godsend (I am a hot caffeine addict; the two cups with breakfast aren't enough, and it's not fair to make everyone wait for me while I stop at several cafes during the morning). My mom was pretty game for anything in Paris, including the "weird" toilets, but she really appreciated our stop at a MickeyD's for a "real" bathroom. And we always stop at the one across from the Versailles RER station - Coke to go and a pit stop - before we head for the palace. <BR> <BR>My theory is: it's my vacation, I'll do what makes me comfortable and happy as long as it doesn't interfere with or harm others. Yes, the cuisine of a country should be part of the experience, but if one doesn't like the food or only likes a certain kind of food, why should s/he be unhappy eating things s/he doesn't like, just to fit into somebody's definition of a sophisticated traveler? If a kid has been eating every <BR>pescatore/a la/schnitzel put in front of him and he finally asks on day 21 "can I get BigMac?", I say, let 'em have it. I was walking through the Champs de Mars one day and met an American couple with their two kids, McDonald's bags spread out and the entire family munching away. We got chatting, and Mom says "we've been on the road three weeks, starting in England and then through Holland and Belgium - the kids just couldn't take another meal of foreign food without a break!" <BR>

Laura Jun 5th, 2001 07:09 AM

I have to admit that the place we go when we want something familiar overseas is to Pizza Hut. What is amazing is how so many different countries can each make their garlic bread taste so different (and so delicious)! We are to the point where we have to go to Pizza Hut at least once in any country we are in ( just trying to find one is fun!)...almost like some people go to the Hard Rock Cafes. And, yes, we go to McDonald's, too, sometimes, but only for breakfast...their pancakes, mmmmmmm!

Anna Jun 5th, 2001 07:19 AM

I have a love-hate relationship with McDonald's. I refuse to eat the burgers there purely for gustatory reasons, but I NEED McD's fries about once a month. Seeing McD abroad is just a strange comfort. On a summer trip to Asia, e.g., I stifled my homesickness (after two months!) through visits to McD and Pizza Hut. So comforting! (although the pizza was abysmal...Thais use what we would consider ketchup as sauce. But I digress...) <BR> <BR>Lily--you are more likely to be sickened by (or die from) foodborne diseases carried by vegetables--particularly organic--than contract BSE. Americans are paranoid about BSE when there aren't even any cases in the U.S., and its meat supply is the world's safest!! Eat your beef and enjoy. =)