Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Yes, another one... Paris hotels in Latin Quarter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/yes-another-one-paris-hotels-in-latin-quarter-719242/)

RedDaffodil Jul 8th, 2007 06:05 PM

Yes, another one... Paris hotels in Latin Quarter

I'm going to Paris in August for the first time and would like a reasonably nice (3 star) hotel in the Latin Quarter. Interested in being near tons of good cafes and walking distance to Notre Dame and the Louvre. Which would be the best located hotel? All of these are for the standard double rooms with no view, the first two with a shower only and the last one with a bathtub.

1) Jardin de l'Odeon - 102.5 Euros per night
2) Abbatial Saint Germain - 99 Euros per night
3) Hotel du Pantheon - 95 Euros per night

Greatly appreciate it!

RedDaffodil Jul 8th, 2007 07:11 PM

Oh yes, and the Hotel Saint Germain des Pres for 112.5 Euros per night which includes breakfast.

Thanks again.

WillTravel Jul 8th, 2007 07:24 PM

Do these all have air conditioning? That would be among my first concerns.

francophile03 Jul 8th, 2007 07:52 PM

I stayed at the Abbatial St. Germain in 2002. It was in a large double room on the 5th floor so the room was larger than the one you mention. However, I was pleased with the staff and the location most of all just a couple of blocks away from the Seine, handy to ATM's, shops, and restaurants as well as to the 6th district.

Hotel du Pantheon is to me in a nice location of course across from the Pantheon and it is furnished nicely. Some people say its location is far from the river which it is relatively so although it just took my 20 minutes in walking at a good pace to reach. I stayed at another hotel that was a few blocks from the Hotel du Pantheon.

Jardin de l'Odeon is in the 6th yet I have no knowledge about the hotel. It is in a very convenient area near Blvd. St. Germain and St. Sulpice which is great for history, shops, and very nice cafes and restaurants as well as art galleries and boutiques.

I know the Abbatial offers a/c and the other two hotels should too as they are all rated 3*'s.

If you're looking to be midpoint to the Louvre and Notre Dame I suggest staying at the Abbatial.

RedDaffodil Jul 8th, 2007 08:32 PM

Thanks for the input. They all have AC. Appreciate any other responses too!

RedDaffodil Jul 9th, 2007 11:52 AM

Oh, I just realized I forgot to mention that this was for my honeymoon, if that makes a difference to the hotel choice. Thanks!

frankdaddy Jul 10th, 2007 11:44 AM

I just came back from Paris Last week of June and stayed on Rue Jacob at Villa des St Germaine and it was ok with A/C. It was very centrally located next to all boutiques and the Paris sites. Walking distance to everything and around the corner from the Metro. I did look at other Hotels while I was there on Rue Jacob and found them more charming and less expensive. here is the list I compiled with prices on Rue Jacob. This street is very charming and close to everything. Here is the list on Rue Jacob.
Hotel des Marronniers 112.00 Eu Single
Hotel des 2 Continents 138.00Eu Single
Hotel St Germaine on Rue Bonaparte
These 2 are not on Rue Jacob but close
Hotel le Clement 117.00 Single
Hotel Saint Paul Rive Gauche 120.00e sg

All these are lovely hotels however I got the last 2 from a beautiful French Hotel book called Exclusive Hotels www.exclusive-hotels.com. I loved the Rue Jacob street and there was a great pastry shop on the corner of Rue Jacob and Bonaparte that had the best hot chocolate. Best in the world as the waiter described it. I think it was called Dumarche. it was originally a tea house and I am sure someone will recognise the location. I loved the area and where we were located. Check the web for hotels on Rue Jacob because I cannot find the other brochures I took from the other hotels. My best meal was at Aux Charpentiers for anyone who remembers my post about restaurants in Paris compared to New York. It was 32E prix fixe. I enjoyed it the most.

jody Jul 10th, 2007 12:10 PM

The pastry shop in rue Jacob and Bonaparte is Lauderee. We too always stay there. We've stayed at the MIllesime, Angleterre, Marroniers and now at the Danube. In fact we are booked again for the Danube for 2 weeks in NOv. and I can't wait.

jody Jul 10th, 2007 12:11 PM

I do know how to spell LADUREE!!

frankdaddy Jul 12th, 2007 06:43 AM

Yes, you are right about the name.Great shop with the best hot chocolate. Which hotel did you prefer out of the ones you wrote about? I loved the area and when I go back I want to try another hotel. Did you try any of the ones I wrote about? Let me know so I can keep the list. P.S. I just saw American Airlines post fares in Feb. for 458.00 roundtrip from JFK New York. I want to discuss with MBH and see if she wants to go yet again to Paris. Also, in the movie Broken English, with Posey Parker, a real funny scene with a Paris Cab driver and Drea DeMateo getting out and getting her bags from the driver.

RedDaffodil Jul 12th, 2007 04:48 PM

Thanks a million everyone for the input. I checked out the ones that frankdaddy mentioned but all of them were over 120 Euros per night for my dates. I ended up making a reservation with Jardin de l'Odeon and I'm looking forward to it!