Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yellow Grand Marinier Liquer from Spain - can I get it sent from Spain?

Nov 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

My husband loved the yellow Grand Marnier from Spain but we didn't check our bags and then had to give it up at security before boarding the plane as it was too large a liquid container - we just weren't thinking as we could have booked our carry on. I tried to order it in Canada and US but it is not carried here. Can I order it online from Spain and have it sent? I know this is rather an obscure question but my husband would be pleasantly surprised to have this under the tree for Christmas.
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM

I was curious what you are talking about as I had never seen a "yellow Grand Marnier" so googled and found this on Wikpedia:

"Cordon Jaune

Cordon Jaune or "Yellow Ribbon" Grand Marnier is scarce in North America. It is only sold in some European countries and at some major international airports. Yellow Label Grand Marnier is generally regarded as being the lowest quality. It is made with neutral grain spirit rather than cognac. It is used for mixed drinks and cooking purposes, such as Crêpes Suzette."

Is this the stuff you're talking about?
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes it is if you can imagine! My husband loved it.
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Here's the truth:

Your husband sampled a beverage of yellow Grand Marnier at a terrace table with his lovely wife while on holiday in beautiful Spain. He buys a bottle of this liquor to enjoy at home, but lo, once home the liquor does not hold the same magic as it did in Spain. "Is this what we had in Spain, dear? It doesn't taste the same at all.."

It wasn't the Grand Marnier...
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Travelnut, very true. Our local wine man says he is plaqued by people who come home from Europe with names of wines scribbled on little pieces of paper. He locates them and orders for them, and invariably they say it just isn't as good as it was at that little bistro in Paris or on the terrace of the their villa in Tuscany at sunset.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut and NeoPatrick, you made me laugh out loud. So true, so true. We scoured the city once for a bottle of Limocella that we had in Italy and it was wonderful but not nearly as wonderful as when we were in Italy.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Absolutely true! It even happens when people have a wine in a restaurant in their home town and then try it at home..right wine at the wrong time or in the wrong setting, maybe.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Grand Marnier is not Spanish but French. Pretty similar to Cointreau (which I prefer over Grand Marnier). Both Grand Marnier and Cointreau have a simple version (yellow ribbon Grand Marnier) and a luxury version which is made with (simple) Cognac (red ribbon Grand Marnier).

We use these orange-flavored liqueurs for desserts and for making Margarita and Cosmopolitan.

In the USA, I think these orange-flavoured liqueurs are known als "triple sec" and widely available.

There are many internet dealers in the USA who ship Grand Marnier.

Here is just one:

www.grandwinecellar.com
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM

>>>"Is this what we had in Spain, dear? It doesn't taste the same at all.."<<<

This is a widespread phenomenon. It partly comes from the fact that the regional wine matches with the flavors, odors, aromas of the region where you are.

Did you notice that each region has a faint but distinct smell? It comes from the minerals in the earth and from the vegetation. And the wine that grows in the soil takes over the minerals which are in the soil, and the wine that ripens in barrels takes over the smells and aromas of the place. The French call this "terroir".

Therefore, it is always a good idea to drink the wines which are grown within the region where you are.

And very often, when you take these wines home, they turn out disappointing.

The strongest experience of this kind I had in Nairobi. Africa has a distinct smell. Even the souvenirs which we brought from Africa still have this smell. And in Nairobi we drank a local wine (called Lake Naivasha) which excellently matched with antelope, zebra and whatever we had there for dinner. I brought a couple of bottles home and found out that the taste was way too strong here.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks traveler1959 - I checked the site you sent and they don't show the yellow label but I sent an email to check.
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM

I do not believe that the Yellow Label is imported into the US and therefore, no dealer in this country is going to have it. It is not listed on the website for the importer of Grand Marnier, Lapostolle. Nor is it in the New York Metro area price guide. If it is not available in NYC I doubt if you can find it in another region of the US.

So you will have to have it shipped, or find someone to bring it back for you. Shipping regulations depend on the state in which you live.

Yellow Ribbon is NOT the simple version of Grand Marnier, despite what is written above. The luxury versions sold in the US are different products entirely, not the red label and not the yellow, but products labeled 100 year-old and 150-year old Grand Marnier.
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Here is a website that lists internet dealers for Grand Marnier:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Gr...r/0/-/USD/A/26

It seems as if Grand Marnier has stopped producing the yellow ribbon variety, so the red ribbon has become the standard version.

See www.grand-marnier.com

Nov 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM

They have not stopped producing it..there are many dealers on the site that you just posted. But none of them are in the US..as I said, it is not available in the US.
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Lily: You have two choices. Either try and find someone who can bring it back from Europe for you. Or send an e-mail to the dealers listed on the Winesearcher site posted just above by Traveller 1959. See if they will ship to you..again, it depends on the regulations of the state in which you live.

Here is one of the dealers that I found on that site:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchan...rom_page_F=WSL
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Here is a third option:

Get your husband a bottle of the 100-year-old or the 150-year-old Grand Marnier luxury cuvees that ARE available in the US!

Admittedly a splurge, but a step up from the Yellow Label!

Nov 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Here in Europe, Grand Marnier is as common as, say, Jim Beam in the USA: You can buy it in every supermarket.

We usually buy the yellow ribbon which is sold here at 16 Euros. This we use for desserts (sprinkle strawberries with Grand Marnier, or add some of it to mousse au chocolat!) and for cocktails. The red ribbon is sold at 22 Euros. This is more to drink on the rocks. There are also the luxury versions like Centenaire (60 Euros), the Cinquantenaire (110 Euros) or Louis Alexandre (?).

Thus, the yellow ribbon is the basic stuff. If you want a surprise for your husband buy him a bottle of red ribbon or better!
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the information and suggestions. I don't have anyone who can bring it to me at this time so I think I'll try to get it online or else buy him the 150 year old stuff!
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:41 AM

I am sure he will be grateful Lily, no matter which bottle he finds under the tree. Enjoy your holiday!
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM

Have to jump in on this one. We always bring home a bottle of "Cuarenta Y Tres" when we visit Spain. (Going next week and will certainly get another) It's the only place this is available.

It's not a Grand Marnier but it *IS* yellowish! And it's a "licor". If you want to try something wonderful - this is my secret after-dinner drink for special friends. I was introduced to it at a bar in Madrid - the bartender told me it was the best. And it was!

Nov 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM

Cuarenta y Tres, Licor 43, is widely available in the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO