yellow flowers of tuscany

Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:15 PM
Irene Vogel

yellow flowers of tuscany

I want to visit Tuscany while the yellow flowers are blooming ! These yellow flowers are Rape seed and are used to make canola oil. It seems that all the scenic tuscany pictures have field of these yellow flowers in them. I WANT TO KNOW WHEN THEY BLOOM SO I CAN PLAN MY TRIP TO COINCIDE WITH THEM. If anyone can tell me what month (beginnig or end ) they bloom in this would be extremely helpful. These are not to be confused with the sunflower fields. thanks in advance.
Irene

Dec 4th, 2001, 02:12 AM
xxx

You're nuts; but April!

Dec 6th, 2001, 01:26 PM
rsd

actually I think the yellow flowers begin to bloom in March, because there is a one day holiday of sorts in the month (i forget the name)where men give these flowers to their wife or girlfriend. since all the street vendors have them for that occasion they have to be in bloom.

Dec 6th, 2001, 11:44 PM
xxx

Nope, that's Mimosa you're talking about, a tree that flowers in Feb/March. The sprigs of yellow flowers are given to ALL women on March 8th for Festa della Donna, the one day a year when men have to stay at home and the women are allowed out in the evening.

Dec 7th, 2001, 08:46 AM
fleur

Yes it is rappe and I believe it is in the spring.

Dec 7th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Grasshopper

Is that like mustard flowers?

Dec 7th, 2001, 09:02 AM
pat

I would rather see the Flander`s Field poppies that bloom in the spring all over Europe. They are a stunning red.

Dec 7th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Joanne

Yes Grasshopper--mustard greens. We have them here in California and they bloom in early spring. Saw them in the South of France this spring in May. After they bloom, they are no longer good to eat. My mother-in-law used to serve them with garlic and olive oil.

I too love the red poppies. We bought seeds in Florence a year or so ago, but are yet to plant them. Hope they are still good.

j