Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - Time Travel or Tourist Trap?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Julie

Hi London-philes,

Is Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese worth going to? We'll be sort of near there and my husband likes Dickens. Will it be too touristy to feel atmospheric?

Thanks!
Julie

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:51 PM
bettyk

Julie, I was wondering about this myself as we will be going to London in a couple of months. Maybe somebody will give us an answer.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:39 AM
RAchel

I went there last week to take a look around - it was very interesting inside and not very crowded (weekday afternoon). I don't know if I would make a specific trip just to see it, but if you are nearby, it is worth going inside.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 02:01 AM
davidwest

It's a lovely old pub. Well worth a visit (and some of the cheapest beer in town too)

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:00 AM
trying

When we were there last (98), we got off a hop on/off bus relatively near there. Had lunch (kidney pie and fish and chips, neither great) and a beer in the basement. We appeared to be the only tourists.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Buzz

I was there once, several years back, and can't for the life of me recall where it is...can someone tell me the section of town to find the 'Cheese?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Julie

It's on Fleet Street in the City of London. The nearest tube is Blackfriars.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:39 AM
kitty

We were there about 5 years ago for lunch and it did feel touristy to me. I had fish and chips and they were not that great. Interesting place and fun to find but not really worth it for what I had to eat.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:43 AM
wes fowler

Not far from the Cheshire Cheese, at 145 Fleet Street you'll find the pub and restaurant Johnson's Court where Dickens occasionally hung out. If you're a true Dickens aficianado, visit Dickens House, his home in which he wrote Oliver Twist, The Pickwick Papers and Nicholas Nickleby. Now a museum, it's at 48 Doughty Street; the Russell Square or Chancery Lane underground stations are the closest.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Pub Lover

If its a great pub your looking for I highly recommend "The Anchor" its been several years since I was there but believe this is the oldest pub in Egland, wood floors, tons of atmosphere, great food. Took a taxi to get there- no tube close by- Well worth a special trip.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:26 PM
elvira

Ye Olde Cheshire is the oldest surviving restaurant in London. The interior hasn't been modernized very much (I like the "bullseye" window glass especially). There is a dining room upstairs that serves very good food, very Continental in style. On the first floor is an informal dining area (where Dickens et al ate) which does serve traditional English fare.

It can be crowded on a Friday night, but other times it's pretty quiet. I don't think it's a tourist trap, anymore so than the Tower of London is!

This is what I remember from two years ago.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Theodora

I just visited there two weeks ago with a local. The pub has a very cosy atmosphere and a lot of locals after the business hours. The owner/greeter was very welcoming and even stopped the cook from leaving at 9:30pm(when they stop serving food) just to feed us.