Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Yay! Going to London with a 2 year old..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/yay-going-to-london-with-a-2-year-old-645808/)

cantstayhome Sep 11th, 2006 10:49 AM

Yay! Going to London with a 2 year old.....

No it's not a joke; some might think it crazy, but if you know me, you know I take my kid anywhere and everywhere. Good fare on Virgin, too - under $400!

Sorry, don't have any burning questions, just could not contain my exuberance.... I've been to London before, but am looking forward to exploring the city from a kid's point of view.

If, however, anyone has any spectacular kiddie activities to recommend (including indoor activities - we're going in November), I would be happy to hear about them. Have picked up a few ideas from the archives here already, but am just beginning to formulate my master plan.

MonicaRichards Sep 11th, 2006 12:13 PM

You can read our trip report of the same thing we did at http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/london.htm I did find that children weren't really welcomed with open arms there, so be prepared for a bit of a cold shoulder.

Barbara_in_CT Sep 11th, 2006 12:38 PM

Well, my 2 year old is now 37 but he had a wonderful time in London. At that time, children under the age of 3 were free in many places. Dogs were half-price. Also, when we entered a restaurant, if there was a wait, we were seated ahead of the elderly who had been waiting longer. No one seemed surprised but us.

He was particularly interested in vehicles and enjoyed finding cars and trucks that were different from those at home--we have the photos still. He enjoyed the zoo, riding on the top of double-deck buses and on a canal that ended up at the zoo (I think). He loved the Tower of London and his four year old sister was quite taken with the crown jewels. Other things were taken in small doses and naps were not missed.

We ate a lot of pizza.

Traveling with a 2 year old is the easiest explanation for skipping things that don't interest you.

cantstayhome Sep 11th, 2006 12:48 PM

Thanks, Moncia. Lovely trip report. I hear that about London, so I'm prepared. Glad to see little ones have not slowed you and your husband down either!

We're visiting a friend in London, so no major sightseeing planned for this trip! Just hanging out, hitting a park, toy store and a few kid oriented things or two. It does amaze me, however, the difference between traveling with a 20-month-old child and a 2 year-old. The ability to bribe that now exists is wonderful!

sashh Sep 12th, 2006 05:40 PM

Hamleys might be worth a trip. Not sure abut the science museum - might be better to come back to that in a couple of years.

Dukey Sep 12th, 2006 06:29 PM

Have a great trip but I do think that "no major sightseeing" is going to make a BIG difference as opposed to dragging the kid everywhere..perhaps you should amend your post header.

nessundorma Sep 12th, 2006 06:32 PM

For November activities, and depending on where your friend lives, I'd go into Tate Modern (but only the huge public space). I'd head for Kew Gardens. I'd try the London Eye if your child would be unafraid. No doubt some of the boats on the Thames are enclosed, and of course there are the double decker buses.

If the weather is at all decent but breezy on a weekend, I'd join the kite fliers on Parliament Hill. And listening to Big Ben strike noon is impessive, no?

Too bad it will be too cold to play in the fountains at Somerset House. But maybe a trip to see the queen's horses would be fun.

W9London Sep 13th, 2006 03:12 AM

Science Museum has sections for young toddlers. My daughter has been going there since 2yr old.

London Zoo is nice, esp if you have a nice weather, combine with neighbouring Primrose Hill (home of the original 101 Dalmatians) and Regent's Park.

Swiss Cottage leisure centre has an indoor play area plus chidren's swimming pool.

If you're on double-decker, you can just take the buggy as is. If going upstairs, you'll need to fold the buggy and leave it downstairs.

A key repeat of what I mentioned before for London with kids trip advice--kids are jet-lagged longer than adults, buy snacks/drinks from supermarkets, dine early. Also it gets dark early in November.

audere_est_facere Sep 13th, 2006 03:35 AM

November is when Guy Fawkes night is (the 5th) so there are loads of organised displays on. These are spectacular affairs, but might be a bit much for a little kid.

flanneruk Sep 13th, 2006 03:44 AM

November:

Among the things some 2 yos might like (or you might want to avoid) are:

- the fireworks extravaganzas practically everywhere around November 5
- The Lord Mayors Show - which most of us get pretty snooty about, but none of us are 2 - and the Thames fireworks (c 1700) on Nov 11
- the various Xmas lights. Last year, Regent St opening ceremony was Nov 5, Oxford St Nov 15, Bond St Nov 24 and Traf Sq Nov 29. All major stores have their toy departments fully Christmasised (and expanded into other bits) by the first week of November

The Kids'section at the Time Out website starts to fill up about 3-4 weeks before events happen. So keep it under review for the month before your trip.

cantstayhome Nov 7th, 2006 07:19 PM

Sorry to dredge up an old post but been busy with work (gosh it gets in the way of having fun) and not checked here recently. Thanks for the tips. And no need for sightseeing for me - as I said originally, I've been before (many times) so no need to "drag" the kid around.

Nessundorma - love the kite idea. He will love that so I'll hope for a breezy day!