Xmas in Central Europe

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmas in Central Europe

Author: cutmac
Date: 11/02/2008, 08:20 am
My husband, two teenage children, and I will be in Budapest and Prague from Dec. 21 to Jan. 1. Can you recommend special holiday activities in either of these places (or Vienna or Krakow). We are trying to decide how to break up our time and which cities might be the best this time of year.

Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM

I will be in Budapest this Christmas and just bought two tickets to The Nutcracker at the Hungarian State Opera for $4.90 total!! This is for the performance on Christmas day, 11:00 a.m.. I spent Christmas day in Krakow two years ago and it was the best Christmas my wife and I have ever spent. (sorry kids) We went to three different church services (we aren't Catholic but they were great), saw a nativity play in a church courtyard, and the Christmas Market is open on Christmas day. A great community Christmas! In Vienna, there is a huge Christmas market outside the Schonbrunn Palace that's beautiful at night and about 3 other large Christmas Markets in Vienna City Center. The Vienna Rathaus (city hall) was turned into a child's activity center. Your kids my be too old but will love it anyway. I was in Prague after Christmas, but the Christmas market in the center of town was still open. There will be Christmas concerts in all cities and be sure to check the tourist information center for tickets, don't suggest buying them from street vendors.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM

Cutmac...
I cannot comment on Prague, but cvan say that Budapest will have Christmas Markets set up in numerous areas of the city. Vorosmarty Ter will have the largest one. It is lots of booths, boiled wine, nice fattening food. Ahhh how I miss it.

Along Andrassy Ut, between the Opera and Oktogon, there will be another good one at Liszt Ferenc Ter,(I think that is the name of the sq.) It is fun, cold and a great time to be had. The main walking street, Vaci Utca is also decorated the street and all the windows. Budapest has gooten into having a really great Christmas atmosphere.

We have also been to the Christmas market in Vienna. We arrived kind of late in the day, and it was jamm packed. So much so that keeping the 6 of us together was next to impossible. It was hard to see the displays. However, it was still quite beautiful and something everyone should experience at least once. Christmas time in Vienna. (We just did a quick drive over from Budapest with some friends) You can take the train from BUD-VIE leaves like every 2 hours takes 3 hours to get there.

I have been to Krakow, but not at Christmas, I am assuming as beautiful a city as it is, the holidays there have to be quite spectular.

Which ever you choose, I suggest lots of warm clothes, however do it in layers. 99.9% of the stores you enter will be way-- overheated. Don't forget the warm socks.
Have fun whichever it is you choose. Z
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM

there is a small but interesting Chritmas market in Prague but there are several other activities going on.
http://www.myczechrepublic.com/pragu...-calendar.html
Christmas eve tends to be the main celebration in Prague.
I would also check this website to see special events you can get along to.
http://www.pragueexperience.com/even...as_markets.asp
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:38 AM

C.

Also New Years Eve in Budapest is great. Again, Vorosmarty Square/Vaci Utca (ped. street) is the place to be and along the Danube River. There are usually fireworks at Midnight. It is a lot of fun.