Notices

Xmas Eve or Day mass in Paris

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmas Eve or Day mass in Paris

Hi,

We are going to be in Paris for Xmas Eve and Xmas Day. Can anyone help me with any details on some good churches to attend mass at (also, time, locations, etc.)? Is Eve or Day better than the other for church service?
Thanks!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 03:45 AM

what religion are you?
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:21 AM

assuming you, like myself, are Catholic, try Notre Dame. I listened to mass there this year. The handouts are printed in several languages so you can follow along. http://www.cathedraledeparis.com/ for times.

PS Catholics write Christmas, not Xmas. Xmas is a term coined up by marketers to avoid offending non- Christians during the Christmas selling period.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:44 AM
amelia

I beg to differ littilesthobo. Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of, ?Christ.? In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, ?Christian.? But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening pronounced (ksms). Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas.

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 09:56 AM

you are right about that historic aspect Amelia. Following some searching I found that in Greek the word Christ is written XPISTOS. X stands for CH and P stands for "R". You will find XP used frequently in churches on liturgical objects as an abbreviation for Christ.Makes me wonder about my windows XP
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 02:10 PM
amelia

littilesthobo: You have just got to send your windows XP comment to Bill Gates! Made my day.

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM

I was raised Catholic, although am not now, and X over a P (chi rho) has been used for centuries in the Catholic church (and Christianity) as a symbol for Christ. It was used in lots of places that I've seen in Catholic churches and schools. It certainly wasn't invented by marketers and has nothing to do with not offending nonChristians who may know more about this subject than littileshobo. Being one, most nonChristians do not get "offended" by referring to a certain holiday by its real historical name. I think people use it for convenience, to save time typing, like a lot of abbreviations (eg, St. for Saint). It's just an abbreviation.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:38 AM

although I did not go for the mass; xmas eve at notre dame is wonderful; afterwards you can drink cognac on a terrrace and watch the seine. St Eustache has a wonderful ancient pipe organ and has concerts and carols around xmas, wonderful acoustics =)
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I was just using "Xmas" instead of writing out "Christmas" in the interest of time--but thanks for the interesting information on it AND Notre Dome!

If anyone has any other Catholic church suggestions, please advise.
THANKS!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:17 AM
jay

I am sure that many people can recommend other churches for mass, we attended mass at N.D. last Christmas Eve. and loved it (We were leaving Paris on Christmas Day). We went to the 6:00pm childrens mass and got in quite easily. I dont think that that is true for the later masses. There were some huge ques for the later masses when we got out. Even my Jewish brother-in-law had a good time.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:38 AM

When we were there for Christmas a few years ago, Midnight mass at Notre Dame was by invitation only for people who had done charity work in Paris. We went to St. Eustache in the Les Halles area. They have a beautiful choir and the church is pretty impressive. When it's over, you can pop on over to Pied de Cochon for some onion soup. It's open round the clock and never closes. Not even on Christmas.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:50 AM
jay

Julie, is St. Eustache the church with the giant hand in next to it.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM

while we're digressing to abbreviations and such, I'm not Christian but I've always enjoyed the hypothesis as to why the fish symbol was linked in ancient writings to Christianity

Greek word for fish (ichthus, spelled: Iota Chi Theta Upsilon Sigma)can be seen as an acrostic for "Jesus Christ, of God, the Son, the Savior